‘I saw things differently than men’: Elizabeth Becker on covering war in Cambodia

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

‘I saw things differently than men’: Elizabeth Becker on covering war in Cambodia

Post by phuketrichard »

Her book, " When the war is over" I feel , is still one of the best about the Revolution

When journalist Elizabeth Becker returned to Phnom Penh in December 1978, she was struck by the silence of the once-bustling city.
For Becker, one of the only female reporters on the frontlines during the American-Vietnam war era, it was the stillness – the lack of children playing and the empty stalls at Central Market – that confirmed allegations of the crimes committed by the Khmer Rouge regime.

“I kept seeing evidence after evidence that they [the regime] were covering things up, that people were scared when we talked to them,” Becker told the Globe. “I had actually lived in the country. I knew what it was like to live there and this was not Cambodia.”

Becker’s reporting on the Cambodian civil war and its genocidal aftermath would become one of the most accredited accounts of the conflicts. Her work would offer both a record of the brutality, later used by the prosecution in the Khmer Rouge Tribunal, as well as an unprecedented gendered dimension – largely ignored by her male colleagues – to the devastation of wartime in Cambodia.
read then full article;

https://southeastasiaglobe.com/elizabet ... -cambodia/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST