The Covid deniers out there and how to handle them.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: The Covid deniers out there and how to handle them.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:58 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:56 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:52 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:41 pm
nerdlinger wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:33 pm

I find the term “question the science” highly problematic. It implies that the “scientists” are this monolithic entity that haven’t been doing their job properly, and the only ones that can set them straight are an assortment of politicians and social media users.

Scientists are *always* questioning the science, that’s what science *is*.
It's rather odd, isn't it? People who have no knowledge whatsoever of the field/science will discard the data, results or predictions from thousands who have dedicated their entire lives working very hard to understand a problem with something akin to "Yep, don't look right to me - something wrong with the science, I reckon."

Similarly, lay people with no knowledge the field/science will accept the first pov that suits their bias in any given way

It's all rather hopeless
Most informed lay people wanting truth understand the mechanisms of peer review.
An optimist

Most lay folk seem to live in fear transmitted through these little devices we all have in our pockets since recently
You need to engage with smarter people.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:00 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:58 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:56 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:52 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:41 pm

It's rather odd, isn't it? People who have no knowledge whatsoever of the field/science will discard the data, results or predictions from thousands who have dedicated their entire lives working very hard to understand a problem with something akin to "Yep, don't look right to me - something wrong with the science, I reckon."

Similarly, lay people with no knowledge the field/science will accept the first pov that suits their bias in any given way

It's all rather hopeless
Most informed lay people wanting truth understand the mechanisms of peer review.
An optimist

Most lay folk seem to live in fear transmitted through these little devices we all have in our pockets since recently
You need to engage with smarter people.
Well, I was referencing more a global online trend than my personal company, but keep it personal with you, Eh?
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

nerdlinger wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:33 pm
Spigzy wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:25 pmNot saying we shouldn't still do more (plastic removal, etc), but if those emissions figures haven't change, it is surely time to question the science?
:hattip:
I find the term “question the science” highly problematic. It implies that the “scientists” are this monolithic entity that haven’t been doing their job properly, and the only ones that can set them straight are an assortment of politicians and social media users.

Scientists are *always* questioning the science, that’s what science *is*.
I'm a scientiest, hence questioning the science! :hattip:

I jest, I jest ...

I wasn't intending to imply that they haven't been doing their job by the way, simply that I'm watching with intrigue on the next global warming predictions from said scientists. Hoping they all come out with positive news that COVID has actually been beneficial to the planet as far as reducing emissions goes.

But likewise I will be filled with scepticism if they state there has been no change & we're all still doomed on the same timeframes. Again, I'm not a climate change denier, but similarly I also believe there's a lot about this planet we don't know - it has been through cataclysmic changes many times before we showed up & accelerated anything in this time around, I don't think it is within human control at all. Even if we nail all our targets, mother nature is going to hand out some pretty savage treatment at the end of the day, we better prepare for that - it's just a question of time.:-)
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Better to get the Terminator to deal with them:

orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

Well, I was lucky to get the Sinopharm shot for free on Monday, August 2, at the beginning of the latest round of vaccinations for the 17 to 30 year-old group... I was not asked to pay anything, either. Have to return for the booster in two weeks...

~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Do people pay for it then?
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic