The bars now

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: The bars now

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Haden wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:01 pm Is secrets bar open?
its a secret :whistler:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:16 pm
Haden wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:01 pm Is secrets bar open?
its a secret :whistler:
ទ្វារមាសត្រូវការកូនសោមាស

Translated:
Golden doors need golden keys (to be opened)
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

My friend I just video chatted with was at a bar on 144 called Chhingy or something tonight ( 6/12). It was definitely open. Maybe because it's not with the others and easier to manage? No idea. I went a few times last summer. Good quality staff and seemed like higher end then the other spots
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I walked up 136 from the river this evening, a few places had slit doors open but practically speaking it was dead.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Must agree with John, riverside areas seem to be the most effected in the city. Bassac Lane and the bars alone street 278 seem to be running has normal, but a little quieter.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I can't understand why a couple of the hostess bars on 130 don't buy themselves a big BBQ and plonk it out side (where the girls normally sit doing sod all)

Knock up a simple menu and offer basic food. And make it CHEAP, like cheeseburgers and chips for $2 cheap. You'll get people in just for the cheap grub.

Nobody is obliged to eat in the restaurants, there just needs to be food available. An outdoor BBQ with printed menus should qualify, no?
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:03 am An outdoor BBQ with printed menus should qualify, no?
No, it's all down to the patent tax.

A restaurant with a BBQ is not allowed to open with the wrong patent.

Places that seem more like bars than restaurants can open if they have the right patent.
AM34
Expatriate

Post by AM34 »

My experience in the past 6 months has been very different than has been described in this thread, lots of new bars opening in Bassac Lane/BKK1 and TTP. TK also has a cluster of decent spots as well which do good trade. Most friends I have never go to Riverside though, so no idea what's happening there. Those places mainly tend to go after the tourist crowd, so expect them to be dead.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

cautious colin wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:58 am
Doc67 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:03 am An outdoor BBQ with printed menus should qualify, no?

Places that seem more like bars than restaurants can open if they have the right patent.
Ah, ok. And I don't suppose they are to keen to allow patent changes at the moment?

I understand that at least one of those bars in 130 is actually registered as a restaurant. Obviously that didn't afford it any protection when the big shut down arrived, but if it is true, they might have a chance.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:22 am
cautious colin wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:58 am

Ah, ok. And I don't suppose they are to keen to allow patent changes at the moment?

I understand that at least one of those bars in 130 is actually registered as a restaurant. Obviously that didn't afford it any protection when the big shut down arrived, but if it is true, they might have a chance.
Haha I guess not. The law is the patent tax as per patent tax. I am sure the different sangkats have many different ideas on how if is enforced
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic