Curfew News and Updates

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Curfew News and Updates

Post by timmydownawell »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:35 am
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: ↑Mon May 03, 2021 12:08 am
22 seconds ago - BREAKING NEWS
Lockdown in Phom Penh and Takhmao to be lifted after May 5

Prime Minister HE announced tonight he will end the lockdown in Phnom Penh and other provinces, but some small areas with a high risk of infections will remain under restrictions.

His announcement was made in response to a Facebook user, asking him about the situation after May 5, a deadline to reopen Phnom Penh and Takhmao City after three weeks of lockdown to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

“There is no reason to continue to close it. We will reopen provinces or capital. [We] can close small areas where there is a high risk of infections,” he said.
“Ongoing lockdowns are compulsory to reduce the infection and deaths of our people. Please understand a common difficulty faced by the nation,” he added.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50849886/l ... ter-may-5/
Just saw this - good news for Phnom Penhers. (Now go and stock up on beer and food, ready for the next round. :beer2: Just in case.)
I wonder where are these "small areas with a high risk of infections" ? Markets, shops, hotels ?
(Reposted from another thread, in response to: post489516.html#p489516)
You'd have to assume all the red zones will remain in place until new cases drop substantially. Wait until Wednesday and see what gets announced then. I think the zone system should remain in place tbh. And yes, I was previously in favour of a full lockdown but the realities of this in a country like Cambodia make it too hard on the most vulnerable. Let's see what happens.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Doc67 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:53 am
Anchor Moy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:35 am Just saw this - good news for Phnom Penhers. Now (go and stock up on beer and food, ready for the next round. :beer2: Just in case.)
The lockdown is one thing, the ban on alcohol is another. So too is the closure of bars and restaurants.
Mrs Cargo and I went to the Lucky supermarket outlet on st 144 (orange zone) yesterday morning and I was rather amused to watch one of the store workers restocking the shelves from boxes of wine :shock:

Do they know something we don't know? :?
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Yeah. Where they keep the wine.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:12 am
You'd have to assume all the red zones will remain in place until new cases drop substantially. Wait until Wednesday and see what gets announced then. I think the zone system should remain in place tbh. And yes, I was previously in favour of a full lockdown but the realities of this in a country like Cambodia make it too hard on the most vulnerable. Let's see what happens.
It sucks because right now I'm in a yellow zone which is great but the bridge that I use to get to the heart of Phnom Penh is orange, so I can't cross it.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Brody wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:48 am
timmydownawell wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:12 am
It sucks because right now I'm in a yellow zone which is great but the bridge that I use to get to the heart of Phnom Penh is orange, so I can't cross it.
I'd like to go for a swim but I'm stuck in an orange zone. Can't have everything. I'm prepared to wait it out for the greater good.

Anyway I think the KT is publishing stories prematurely again. No point in speculating again. It was a complete shemozzle last week before the official zones were released.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:54 am Anyway I think the KT is publishing stories prematurely again. No point in speculating again. It was a complete shemozzle last week before the official zones were released.
So you think the lockdown will not be relaxed this week?

timmy, you're like the grim reaper for good news. :wink:
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Brody wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:10 am
timmydownawell wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:54 am Anyway I think the KT is publishing stories prematurely again. No point in speculating again. It was a complete shemozzle last week before the official zones were released.

It's a hard call... but now the PP authorities know you are unable to get to the heart of the city, that may well decide the issue.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Doc67 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:16 am

It's a hard call... but now the PP authorities know you are unable to get to the heart of the city, that may well decide the issue.
Good, I hope they have my priorities in order.

Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

If we're still getting 500-700+ cases/day, then what was the point of the lockdown in the first place? Maybe they've been isolated to specific areas, where they test more? I suspect they just want to let the economy recover for a bit, but I can see few months of yo-yoing back and forth into lockdowns (since that's what happened basically everywhere else in the world). That being said, KT said 1.8 million people have been vaccinated so far, so I'm confident they can get PP done within 2-3 months or so given the latest batch which arrived. PP is probably no more than 2.5M and out of those 1.8, more than half are likely PP residents. I reckon 2 months to vaccinate and then another to reach decent levels of immunity across Bodes well!

Only issue then is travel within the country and vaccination for those in more remote areas...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Sorry mate but 841 new cases today. They would be crazy to end lockdowns.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic