The Covid deniers out there and how to handle them.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The Covid deniers out there and how to handle them.

Post by Cooldude »

Anyone who is denying Covid exists at this point needs to get hit head on by the Covid Express and survive. I'm sure they'll be lifelong Covid believers after surviving that.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

The covid deniers, anti-vaxers and anti hard effectively conducted containment measures retrogrades are exactly the same as the human induced climate change deniers and those who believe the world cant easily get to 50% carbon reduction by 2030 if we turn our mind to it.

Very small minds.
Ignore the fat comfortable smug fools. They are only dangerous if you give them validity.
Talking science with them is just as pointless as discussing biology or geology with the fundamentalist "the world was created at 10.47am, 4321 days ago " crew.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kammekor wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:46 am Let's be honest, Covid has been pretty much invisible for most people. For me, I know two people who've had covid, both not living in Cambodia. They became ill and recovered. That's my experience with covid in 14 months time.

But I do see the measures taken, and when I make the comparison without giving it much more thought I see a world in lock down while only two people I know have been ill and they both recovered.

I think that's an important reason people deny covid.
I personally know of one person who has died during the restrictions. He wasn’t diagnosed in time to tackle lung cancer, because his doctors weren’t conducting face to face consultations.
The same very nearly happened to my mother. She was diagnosed over the phone, and went for too long on that diagnosis before being seen by a doctor. When she was finally diagnosed (lung cancer) she was actually quite far along, and her lung actually collapsed before treatment even began. She was lucky.

Some of the ‘measures’ have been so extreme as to be bordering on insane. I’m not at all surprised that comparisons are drawn against road accident rates. They’re not false comparisons. The results of road accidents are easily understood by most people. Tangible. While COVID comes across as somewhat abstract.

I’m watching UK tv right now, and an ad is on from the NHS regarding new persistent coughs, and the risk of it being cancer. It seemed as if there was an absence of this advertising during 2020, but as we view a slightly brighter future in the UK, the ads are back.
Did the risk of cancers and road deaths go away? No. Did they suddenly come back? No. But a new risk was being presented. Is it that people’s capacity for absorbing so much negativity is reached easily, or that their attention span is working against them?

Macmillan have a stat of 1 in 2(I think?) of us having cancer at some stage, which means the chances of us knowing someone with cancer are pretty huge. I know of two flying colleagues in my company who tested positive for Covid. Out of 120. I personally know of three former colleagues who have died of cancer in the last 2 years, one of whom was diagnosed after me and even sent me words of support at the time, yet was unaware himself. Plus two others being treated/recovered, recently.

COVID is, for a lot of people difficult to quantify.

Social distancing has added an excessive paranoia verging on comedy. Buzz phrases like support bubbles, and the seemingly myriad permutations on who/how many/where you can interact don’t really lend any maturity to precautions, IMHO. But saying so risks getting labelled a denier, too.
It’s made me wonder how many people could be diagnosed as having an advanced OCD condition when I see some folks reactions. Inconsistencies in applying precautions, or aggressive attitudes don’t help.

In Oslo, on the airport tannoy, they talk about wearing a mask, keeping your distance, and showing respect. The last two seem to be things that are missing in many people’s behaviour these days, along with some simple basic hygiene like washing their bloody hands. Several decades of not giving a damn about such things have yet to be affected by a year of other people’s medical bad news.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Freightdog wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:21 am In Oslo, on the airport tannoy,
"tannoy", had to look that one up. :facepalm:

'Public Address System' apparently.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Removed
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Thread drift alert

Post by Freightdog »

Username Taken wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:37 am
Freightdog wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:21 am In Oslo, on the airport tannoy,
"tannoy", had to look that one up. :facepalm:

'Public Address System' apparently.
Probably showing my age a bit. These days better known for quality Speakers, but yes, it’s household recognition being as a public Address system used quite extensively. When I was going to college with the aim of going to sea, the instructors and tutors used Tannoy instead of any other term. In the same way that many would do the Hoovering rather than the vacuuming...

Now we return to our program...

I wonder if in the future, sick notes will mention COVID in the same way many have claimed to have had the ‘flu in the past?

Now, we really return to our program.

Deny, deny, deny
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jcml19 »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:56 pm
Agreed, however it gets rather droll when these 'it's just the flu' and 'the gov't wants to control the people' conspiracy theorists and deniers just luurve to infect and troll the forum with their misguided agenda.. :roll:
trolls will be trolls... ignore the agenda/them and mother nature will do her thing... off the cliff but t swift is right, haters will hate... i may be too old to quote swift hahahahaha...
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:38 am The covid deniers, anti-vaxers and anti hard effectively conducted containment measures retrogrades are exactly the same as the human induced climate change deniers and those who believe the world cant easily get to 50% carbon reduction by 2030 if we turn our mind to it.

Very small minds.
Ignore the fat comfortable smug fools. They are only dangerous if you give them validity.
Talking science with them is just as pointless as discussing biology or geology with the fundamentalist "the world was created at 10.47am, 4321 days ago " crew.
Hasn't the climate thing taken a step for the better due to COVID? I mean its not like a lot people are flying or driving cars around the entire globe, surely it had a decent dent in achieving any carbon reduction targets? Asking for a friend & all that. Not saying we shouldn't still do more (plastic removal, etc), but if those emissions figures haven't change, it is surely time to question the science?
:hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
kritsana77
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by kritsana77 »

Generally, people are pretty stupid. Approximately 72 million of them are in my country. Count on it, 2022 no vaccine.... bye-bye. Although it will hurt local businesses, (bars and restaurants) that's a shame.
Haden
Expatriate
Chile

Post by Haden »

I know very few people who have had it and out of them even fewer were I'll from it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic