The Covid deniers out there and how to handle them.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The Covid deniers out there and how to handle them.

Post by fsdfdsdf »

Also russian propaganda. There's plenty of fake info out there to fool the gullible. Mostly youtube videos seem to be able to convince idiots of anything. When they find out they were wrong they just pretend they never believed it. Some people are so engrossed in themselves that they are oblivious to how they actually behave.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

It's no coincidence that covid deniers are almost certain to believe 9-11 was an inside job, the moon landings were faked, the world is flat and whole host of other stuff.
I think many of these people just take an opposite opinion to whatever most people believe, they think it sets them apart which is why they call everybody else sheep.

(I bet most of them like to listen to Captain Beefheart or obscure bands that nobody has heard of :stir: )
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:37 pm It's no coincidence that covid deniers are almost certain to believe 9-11 was an inside job, the moon landings were faked, the world is flat and whole host of other stuff.
I think many of these people just take an opposite opinion to whatever most people believe, they think it sets them apart which is why they call everybody else sheep.

(I bet most of them like to listen to Captain Beefheart or obscure bands that nobody has heard of :stir: )
Some I know are seriously ill. schizophrenia ill. chip implants. All the neighbors talking about them and watching them. phones hacked. It's a pretty fine line for some people.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

I don't know any Covid deniers and I think that they are few and far between - anti-vaccers are much more common.

To echo the sentiment of others, it is government response rather than the disease itself that seems to have caused scepticism and anger. Locking up huge swathes of your population is very much an inverse of the idea of 'for the many and not the few'. There were surely better ways to manage this other than locking up people who were at zero risk of having any I'll effects of this illness. The counter to that is, of course, multi-generational households, but again surely there were other ways to manage them, allowing the rest of the population to carry on, gain herd immunity and wait for the vaccines so that the at-risk groups could come out of isolation. Cambodia's young and relatively healthy population (low levels of obesity, etc) seems a crazy place to lockdown when most people live hand to mouth from markets. In this case, the remedy is likely to be far worse than the illness.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

This has really polarized everyone like nothing before. I know people who have been scared shitless for over a year, I know people who question some aspects of how it was dealt with and others who think Bill Gates wants to make you sterile with his vaccines. All three types appeared somewhat normal prior to Covid...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Cambo Dear wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:38 pm I don't know any Covid deniers and I think that they are few and far between - anti-vaccers are much more common.

To echo the sentiment of others, it is government response rather than the disease itself that seems to have caused scepticism and anger. Locking up huge swathes of your population is very much an inverse of the idea of 'for the many and not the few'. There were surely better ways to manage this other than locking up people who were at zero risk of having any I'll effects of this illness. The counter to that is, of course, multi-generational households, but again surely there were other ways to manage them, allowing the rest of the population to carry on, gain herd immunity and wait for the vaccines so that the at-risk groups could come out of isolation. Cambodia's young and relatively healthy population (low levels of obesity, etc) seems a crazy place to lockdown when most people live hand to mouth from markets. In this case, the remedy is likely to be far worse than the illness.
Feel free to impart your wisdom.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

It seems to me most covid deniers, flat earthers, reptilian humanoid believers and the like, are not particularly interested in truth, rather, they require the feeling of some sort of intellectual superiority because they weren't terribly well educated and as a consequence felt they never really knew anything, believed most everyone else understood things better than them, and developed a self perception of being dumb. So by proclaiming this or that nonsense, or denying what others understand to be patently obvious, they're able to lie to themselves as well as others easily and with conviction so as to falsely believe they understand something more than others - for once.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:45 pm It seems to me most covid deniers, flat earthers, reptilian humanoid believers and the like, are not particularly interested in truth, rather, they require the feeling of some sort of intellectual superiority because they weren't terribly well educated and as a consequence felt they never really knew anything, believed most everyone else understood things better than them, and developed a self perception of being dumb. So by proclaiming this or that nonsense, or denying what others understand to be patently obvious, they're able to lie to themselves as well as others easily and with conviction so as to falsely believe they understand something more than others - for once.
For a lot of people, it comes down to "what I think and want to believe is more important than what is actually true".

For sure, the fact that the message from medical experts on Covid is constantly changing is one of the big challenges that governments and medical authorities face. Most people want one clear message about what they can do to stay safe, yet as the coronavirus evolves, the message to the population is changing. A lot of people are confused by the mixed messages and prefer to hang on to a safe and fixed idea. It's not surprising. Denial of facts means that you don't have to deal with them.
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jcml19 »

imo best to just ignore them and not pay them any mind...

Fingers crossed for population control because if the numbers are correct, once at 100% for those who wish to get vaccinated those who don't will be a number...

it's terrible to think that way but you can't change those who choose not to listen.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Jcml19 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:57 pm imo best to just ignore them and not pay them any mind...

Fingers crossed for population control because if the numbers are correct, once at 100% for those who wish to get vaccinated those who don't will be a number...

it's terrible to think that way but you can't change those who choose not to listen.
Agreed, however it gets rather droll when these 'it's just the flu' and 'the gov't wants to control the people' conspiracy theorists and deniers just luurve to infect and troll the forum with their misguided agenda.. :roll:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic