Brazilian Woman NATALIA MONTONI Killed in Kampot Road Accident

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Brazilian Woman NATALIA MONTONI Killed in Kampot Road Accident

Post by Freightdog »

The police were called and they sent her to the hospital, but unfortunately, she could not be saved and died on the way to the hospital.
This reads somewhat contrary to the photos. They’ve got a foot in a sandal in the photo, and a marker for the photographer. Was someone else involved, or was she dead at the scene, and didn’t die en-route to hospital? Or did they calmly setup the photography before rendering first aid.

There’s a second heap several meters away, near the parked truck, which is of interest to the police.

Given some of the public response to medical aid, such as burying in sand for shock victims, it’s easy to believe that minor accidents will result in death from what may otherwise be survivable injuries. That bike looks superficially damaged (from the photo) rather than having any major collision. A slight tap, and a tumble. A helmet might have meant only gravel rash and few broken bones.

It’s a country that’s in desperate need of a road safety campaign.

In the current climate though, it’s possible to expect the overall accident rate to drop, except maybe random collisions with hastily waved batons.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:34 am
The police were called and they sent her to the hospital, but unfortunately, she could not be saved and died on the way to the hospital.
This reads somewhat contrary to the photos. They’ve got a foot in a sandal in the photo, and a marker for the photographer. Was someone else involved, or was she dead at the scene, and didn’t die en-route to hospital? Or did they calmly setup the photography before rendering first aid.

There’s a second heap several meters away, near the parked truck, which is of interest to the police.

Given some of the public response to medical aid, such as burying in sand for shock victims, it’s easy to believe that minor accidents will result in death from what may otherwise be survivable injuries. That bike looks superficially damaged (from the photo) rather than having any major collision. A slight tap, and a tumble. A helmet might have meant only gravel rash and few broken bones.

It’s a country that’s in desperate need of a road safety campaign.

In the current climate though, it’s possible to expect the overall accident rate to drop, except maybe random collisions with hastily waved batons.
The “second heap” appears to be the usual leafy tree branch placed in the road as a warning to other drivers, the Cambodian equivalent of a red warning triangle.
Just my opinion: The victim and the bike are very close together and as you say, there doesn’t look to be much damage to the bike. If there was third party involved it was probably no more than a clip, the bikes gone down and slid, no helmet was worn and she’s cracked her head on the road resulting in death.
If she died on the way to hospital, why is there a body bag placed on the ground next to the victim?
TheImplication
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by TheImplication »

RIP. Sad story.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

RIP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Gut-wrenching. My thoughts go out to her friends and family.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by alexvanlaar »

Captain Bonez wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:40 am Cambodian people do not give one single fuck about anyone around them when it comes to driving or music. They will run you over or play ear-splittingly loud music without blinking an eye. Don't say anything though or you're the cunt.
[/quote= Captain B. Any follow up concerning Achim's fatal accident, I mean how did it happen? Also some reckless driver?
R.I.P. Achim
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

UPDATE: 1 May 2021
According to a post by Natalia's sister on her Facebook page, the family in Brazil have decided that her last rites should be held in Kampot, Cambodia, among her friends and the people that she loved. The date of the funeral has yet to be communicated.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

She regularly advertised her yoga class on Cambodian Expat group on facebook, my condolences to the family.

que triste
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

From Facebook today:

Laurent Villatte
Kampot Noticeboard
29 mins ·
Dear friends,
The unpresented outpouring of solidarity to support Natalia’s family makes me speechless. I have no words to explain the gratitude about your beautiful messages, thoughts, videos, memories… I knew that Natalia was loved, but at this point, it shows again how Solar she was.
Thank you so much for your donations that will help to cover the expenses.
Due to some technical issues, that people are unfortunately facing on the actual crowd funding, another website is below. More than the incinerations the donations will pay for sending her personal belongings back home, organizing the ceremony in Kampot. With extra money we think about a memorial here also.
Her body will be cremated in Phnom Penh and ashes will be sent back to Kampot where funerals will be organized and broadcasted live in Brazil. This is a very courageous and respectful decision from her family knowing that Natalia wanted to build her life here.
Now, about the accident, Natalia has been hit by a truck on April 27th between Kampot and Sihanoukville at night time. The truck was driving over speed limitations which is regrettably way too common here… Cambodia Roads are dangerous and ruthless places where drivers often hit and run. I’m actually pushing the investigation and will fight to pursue the responsible person.
She is looking at us with love and compassion now. Let’s keep going that way and wish her a good travel.
Thank you all
gf.me/u/zry6r6

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

They had a live event ceremony over Facebook with her ashes and photographs and music, if anyone else caught it, i think two days ago, very nice.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic