Brazilian Woman NATALIA MONTONI Killed in Kampot Road Accident

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Brazilian Woman NATALIA MONTONI Killed in Kampot Road Accident

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

RIP Natalia
Cambodia News (Kampot): On April 27, 2021, at 7:30 pm, a Brazilian woman expat, NATALIA MONTONI, died on the way to the hospital after she was victim of a motorcycle accident on national road 3, Sangkat Andong Khmer, Kampot.

The police reported that the foreign woman appears to have been the victim of a hit and run accident, which occurred when she was hit from behind by a vehicle while riding her motorbike. On the evening of April 27, 2021, at 7:30 pm, a passerby saw the Brazilian woman lying on the road near a motorbike. The police were called and they sent her to the hospital, but unfortunately, she could not be saved and died on the way to the hospital.

The police determined that the victim was hit by a car that was being driven in the same direction from south to north; they are searching for the car and the driver that caused the accident.

Condolences to the family, and to the many friends of Natalia in Cambodia. She was 32 years old.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Brazilian Woman NATALIA MONTONI Killed in Kampot Road Accident

Post by Cooldude »

What a waste of life. Getting hit from behind while on a bike is one of my worst and constant concerns over here. RIP Natalia. 😪😪
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

I went to her yoga class a few times. RIP. I wonder what she was doing out on the road at this time during a lockdown. Does anyone know if this was near PP or Kampot?
Province
Expatriate
Mexico

Post by Province »

Kampot
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Matty9999 wrote:I went to her yoga class a few times. RIP. I wonder what she was doing out on the road at this time during a lockdown. Does anyone know if this was near PP or Kampot?
From what I gather, it was from Kampot on the way South towards Sihanoukville near Andoung Khmer (the main road). Curfew starts at 8pm so she was probably heading home and the killer was speeding his car like a maniac (as they usually do, but probably even moreso now given the curfew) and rear-ended her. Hopefully they get him.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:15 am
Matty9999 wrote:I went to her yoga class a few times. RIP. I wonder what she was doing out on the road at this time during a lockdown. Does anyone know if this was near PP or Kampot?
From what I gather, it was from Kampot on the way South towards Sihanoukville near Andoung Khmer (the main road). Curfew starts at 8pm so she was probably heading home and the killer was speeding his car like a maniac (as they usually do, but probably even moreso now given the curfew) and rear-ended her. Hopefully they get him.
Cambodia... generally speaking it does not seem like the type of place to move to if you want to extend your life span... drug ODs, traffic accidents, dysentery, rabies, and so on..
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

In all my time here & again on two wheels to avoid traffic, the one thing I would never do is ride on the national roads, even in broad daylight. I am supremely confident in my riding skills, take good care of my bike maintenance & ride like I'm driving Miss Daisy, and I still would not hazard this even for a 5 minute down the national road milk & eggs run; people drive like idiots.

RIP.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

Cambodian people do not give one single fuck about anyone around them when it comes to driving or music. They will run you over or play ear-splittingly loud music without blinking an eye. Don't say anything though or you're the cunt.
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Stiliko
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Stiliko »

The police determined that the victim was hit by a car that was being driven in the same direction from south to north;
This happened close to or at the International Village connection with SR 3
North means she had to be heading back to downtown Kampot where she probably lived.

Discovered at 7:30 - that’s well before curfew.

Because the perp didn’t stop she probably pretty much bled out on the road. Minutes count in trauma situations. Those precious minutes were burned in a selfish callous indifference.

I know there are no stats on hit&runs here but It’s safe to say the person who stops is the exception and the ones who run are well north of 90%. It seems to be a cultural thing. It’s root? Who knows?
she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

South to North, my bad. That means the perp was heading the same way: back towards the city. Much higher chance of finding him via CCTVs in that case. Good.

That road's dangerous at night. It's lit up for a bit, but then completely dark beyond the city with some long bends and cars/trucks driving like idiots/overtaking blindly. The worst are the taxi drivers. You always have to keep really close to the shoulder if driving remotely slow. I've seen numerous accidents on that stretch and don't even live in Kampot.

Another reminder to always wear a helmet people, and check to make sure your rear/front lights are working. [I'm not implying she wasn't, but a lot of Kampot expats don't wear helmets despite the higher risk out there. Anything that can help keep the odds in your favour is good]. As for the hit&run yes, it's cultural because they know they'll get beat up of they stay. Catch-22 of Khmer logic. Even insurance companies advise to leave the scene immediately and they'll send a representative.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic