Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Whatzup - Breaking Cambodia Covid News - Information on Outbreaks and Lockdowns - New Thread

Post by Arget »

It is not taped off. Only tape is on the shop side of riverside. Some cops shouted to go back but I walked along the river for a block then continued. Traffic was moving all the time down riverside.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Information on Coronavirus in Cambodia from 8 March 2020 (Latest Updates)

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:59 am
Phnom Poon wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:57 pm nearly 700 cases today
compared to when the lockdown was imposed
there's really no justification for opening up the inner city as they are
or provincial travel, and certainly not 'tourist resorts'

but of course policy is not being set for the benefit of the people
but for the safety, convenience, and business interests of the 'leadership'
I agree. It reminds me of how the Melbourne outbreak was handled last year, with several suburbs being locked down initially, which failed to contain the outbreak, before the lockdown being extended to the whole city. My sister was in one of the first suburbs and by the time it finished she'd been locked down for seven months. It would have been better and faster if they'd gone hard from the start instead of attempting the piecemeal approach which Phnom Penh is now trying to emulate.
It seems you are of the view that this Red/Orange/Yellow scheme will gradually become darker with a citywide Red zone being an inevitability in the coming weeks? The additional testing capacity in SNK could be the catalyst for a sudden jump in numbers.

I hear a bit of wishful thinking among friends that it is "all getting better" with easing now and "things going in the right direction" and other happy talk. I don't buy it. The authorities are constantly keeping these colour designations under review and people could wake up to find they have been taped in overnight and their yellow or orange status has suddenly become orange or red.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

i predict that the leafier areas, with villas, or upmarket shops, or corporate offices, and essentially central phnom penh
will not see red

all the people that benefit from these spaces are now vaxxed
and want to get on with their lives

monstra mihi bona!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Whatzup - Breaking Cambodia Covid News - Information on Outbreaks and Lockdowns - New Thread

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:28 am Stuck in a red zone? It's not all bad. At least you will get vaccinated.

All People In Red Zones To Be Vaccinated Against COVID-19
ចេញផ្សាយ ថ្ងៃទី ២៨ ខែ មេសា ឆ្នាំ ២០២១
AKP Phnom Penh, April 28, 2021 --

All people of 18 years old and over living in Red zones, including foreigners, will get inoculations against the COVID-19 pandemic.

In a voice message last night, Prime Minister Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo HE ordered to vaccinate all people in Phnom Penh capital and Kandal province – about 3 million people according to him – by beginning with the Red zones to build herd immunity against COVID-19.

The Premier agreed to use the 1 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines in stock and the 400,000 doses of China-donated Sinopharm vaccine, which will arrive in Cambodia tonight, for the inoculation.

https://www.information.gov.kh/articles/41296
So, a 4,600,000 dose shortfall. What's the ETA for that delivery?
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:02 am i predict that the leafier areas, with villas, or upmarket shops, or corporate offices, and essentially central phnom penh
will not see red

all the people that benefit from these spaces are now vaxxed
and want to get on with their lives
Agreed
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:44 am
timmydownawell wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:59 am

I agree. It reminds me of how the Melbourne outbreak was handled last year, with several suburbs being locked down initially, which failed to contain the outbreak, before the lockdown being extended to the whole city. My sister was in one of the first suburbs and by the time it finished she'd been locked down for seven months. It would have been better and faster if they'd gone hard from the start instead of attempting the piecemeal approach which Phnom Penh is now trying to emulate.
It seems you are of the view that this Red/Orange/Yellow scheme will gradually become darker with a citywide Red zone being an inevitability in the coming weeks? The additional testing capacity in SNK could be the catalyst for a sudden jump in numbers.

I hear a bit of wishful thinking among friends that it is "all getting better" with easing now and "things going in the right direction" and other happy talk. I don't buy it. The authorities are constantly keeping these colour designations under review and people could wake up to find they have been taped in overnight and their yellow or orange status has suddenly become orange or red.
I just believe a hard total lockdown is better than this approach which turned out to be a bit of a disaster in Victoria. If the cases number is over 800 today then my initial hunch that it would hit 1000 is probably not far off. As they'll be reassessing the zones weekly I guess that yes, more areas will switch up a zone from next Thursday if not sooner.

As an aside, what annoys me is that Phsar Chas market is not actually in the Phsar Chas sangkat. So the place where they found 20 cases is in the Yellow zone, while me, a block away is in Orange. People who live right next to the market are free to go anywhere (thankfully the market itself is still closed). Bizarre.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I suppose it depends on whether you look at this as glass half empty or half full. :mrgreen:

Seems to me the general lockdown across all of PP was unsustainable in the longer term. Especially with general (non essential) businesses all shut and people unable to travel to work et al.

In theory then it makes sense to have different zones to apply different restrictions tailored to the various situations. Hence severe outbreak areas have more restrictions (red) and orange and yellow.

So in my mind, it all depends on how well they have designated the red, orange and yellow zones and how effectively they manage and enforce the associated measures. And whether the people will observe the requirements. That's the million dollar question in my view..

Being in an orange area now triple taped off, I've yet to see whether the police will man all the streets to stop the previous practice of people lifting the tape to get through. I dunno how it's going to work frankly...we'll see in the coming days/weeks I guess..
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

beerlaodrinker wrote:The Khmer Times are reporting 800+ will be announced today. They reported yesterday that Neth Okhna Kith Meng made yet another donation to help. What a truly community minded tycoon he is. Amazing.

Today the Khmer Times described the February 20th event as "outrageous". I suspect this was to convey the shock of the 800+ cases. It could also be to convey the anger felt by the story still on the front page of the Rolls Royce stopped at the Japanese Bridge roundabout with 3 Chinese, an attractive female in skimpy shorts and a driver with instructions to drive to a party condo in Chroy Chumva. I am sure the idea of attractive girls still being driven round in Rolls Royce's with no check on their Covid status must grate on those suffering through loss of life ones and hardship.
https://thediplomat.com/2021/04/cambodi ... -networks/
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:13 am I suppose it depends on whether you look at this as glass half empty or half full. :mrgreen:
actually i don't agree with full lockdown anyway
i think very strict targeted lockdowns, and enforcing preventive measures is the way to go

but having imposed a lockdown two weeks ago because someone was panicked they might get sick
it is the height of hypocrisy to now essentially lift the lockdown because they are now vaxxed
when case numbers are much worse, and rising

monstra mihi bona!
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:13 am
Being in an orange area now triple taped off, I've yet to see whether the police will man all the streets to stop the previous practice of people lifting the tape to get through. I dunno how it's going to work frankly...we'll see in the coming days/weeks I guess..
In Psar Kandal sangkat this morning, there was a cop on every corner. Our local one informed us if we left our Sangkat, we would be prohibited from returning. The riverside is promenade is outside of the taped off area unfortunately, so crossing the road to go there presumably implies one week of sleeping on the concrete benches!
The good part is that all the tapes have been removed from the inner parts of the sangkat so we've got free roam within it. No more cops wielding bamboo canes.
The roadblock outside Starbucks (313 Riverside) building has now gone and there is more traffic on the riverside road.
Laden tuktuks were pulling up outside La Croisette and sellers from inside the zone were bringing goods through the tape to carry on foot to their stalls.
Walking around, things have a more normal feel today. Long way to go of course.
I can't see this system of having a solo cop on every corner lasting long. Khmers don't like working alone.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic