Overstayed British Teacher to be Deported from Siem Reap

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Re: Overstayed British Teacher to be Deported from Siem Reap

Post by KTabi »

Crackers wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:17 pm
KTabi wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:12 pm
atst wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:49 pm Teachers in Cambodia are a fine bunch, the cream of the crop, as most media reports show. (sorry to those who are better),is it the lowest of professions for expats?

No I'm not trolling :stir:
They're quite universally despised, unfortunately. Its a cheap cover for traveling about and making a dime. Its not unique to Cambodia.
Really? Teachers are universally despised? What evidence do you have to support this assertion?
English teachers, at least the locals ive known in many countries and the circles. Lots of troublemakers, backpackers, etc. I intend to be an English teacher so I'm not intending to be rude or cause a problem lol :good:
Of course there are good and bad people everywhere in every group, I assume English teachers get a bad reputation because of increased attention.
:thumb:
mouytiet
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Post by mouytiet »

i done bit of teaching here and met alot of peaple that im sure gave more to the peaple of this country than the commentators i see here.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:38 pm
IraHayes wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:59 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:50 pm
leeellis2406 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:03 pm I worked with him at Apple International School in Poipet, he was nothing but a drunk and threatening everybody. He took advantage of the local people when he got fired by bribing them out of beer, rice wine and food to the tune of around $1,000, saying he would pay them on salary day(even though he had been fired). People that could ill afford to lose money. So I have little sympathy for him about losing his employment because I know of his character, but sad to hear he's living in jail now awaiting deportation. I'm sure there are a few ex teachers who are on the breadline right now and the forecast is very bleak for the next few months, so everyone take care and stay safe and as healthy as possible and don't end up a victim of circumstance like Nick. Good luck Nick in your future, what goes around comes around.
Thanks for the backstory on this guy. I always wonder how people got to be in this situation. At the moment, times are tough for everyone, and I generally have a lot of sympathy for teachers who are unemployed due to the circumstances, but in this case I can save my sympathy for his victims.
I hope he enjoys his time in jail.
I have a back story on Apple International school in Poipet .... and the guy who started it about 10 years ago.

Could be a different Apple International school of course but .... well ... doubtful.
:popcorn: Please carry on. No need to name names, of course. A hypothetical school in Poipet would do.
If I remember rightly, some ex-teachers from Poipet were slugging it out on CEO at one stage*. Poipet sounds like quite a town. (I've never been there, but the place has a hell of a rep.)

* Found it but it's on the darknet: darknet-cambodia-news/brazilian-expat-w ... 39630.html
Oh nothing as exciting as that I'm afraid.

But there was a school in Toul Kork, junction of 307 & 580, called Apple American School. Well, back in 2011 I did about 9 months there and at the end I left as it was increasingly difficult to get my monthly salary. During the last few months one of the top guys married a lass from Poipet. Her family were gold sellers/buyers/jewelry makers .. christ if I can't remember the details but they were pretty well off. Anyway at his wedding, which was at the Mondial Centre, he asked me if I would work for him at a new school he was looking to open in Poipet. I didn't think too much of it but he asked a couple of more times at work. Given the problems getting my salary I just fobbed him off and said I would think about it .. I do remember the name he had for his new school though, and that's one of the reasons it stuck with me .... he had almost carbon copied the name and logo of Apple American.

The comment from leeellis2406 jogged my memory and I thought.. "hmm, small world"
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

:dm:
Teaching (English) is a profession. Just because you speak English doesn't mean that you can teach. Traveling around, many years ago, I picked up some jobs teaching English, mostly conversation classes. I was useless. Even now, I can help friends and family out with vocab or a bit of grammar, but I'm not a teacher.

Teaching is a real job ! English teachers in Cambodia have a bad rep, because some schools will employ anyone who fronts up as an English teacher. But, I don't look down on teachers, because I think that educating kids is one of the most important jobs that exists. As a teacher in Cambodia, you can change lives. So, go teachers ! A lot of you are doing a really great job. :thumb:
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

mouytiet wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:23 am i done bit of teaching here and met alot of peaple that im sure gave more to the peaple of this country than the commentators i see here.
[reads post] .....

xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

atst wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:49 pm Teachers in Cambodia are a fine bunch, the cream of the crop, as most media reports show. (sorry to those who are better),is it the lowest of professions for expats?

No I'm not trolling :stir:
couldn't agree more!
D Shay
Tourist

Post by D Shay »

leeellis2406 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:03 pm I worked with him at Apple International School in Poipet, he was nothing but a drunk and threatening everybody. He took advantage of the local people when he got fired by bribing them out of beer, rice wine and food to the tune of around $1,000, saying he would pay them on salary day(even though he had been fired). People that could ill afford to lose money. So I have little sympathy for him about losing his employment because I know of his character, but sad to hear he's living in jail now awaiting deportation. I'm sure there are a few ex teachers who are on the breadline right now and the forecast is very bleak for the next few months, so everyone take care and stay safe and as healthy as possible and don't end up a victim of circumstance like Nick. Good luck Nick in your future, what goes around comes around.

This sort of character attack should not be permitted unless supported by evidence. Anonymous attacks can be very damaging to someone’s reputation and career.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Don't fret. Snivel libertarian here, to see fair play. I'm going to go ahead and throw a flag on the early name disclosure, and overrule it immediately, with an early involvement call on the play, by myself. Due to the resulting penitence, my penance is red, to avoid further repentance. In fairness, there are at least 2 Nick's here, so it could be either of them. Ok, another successful mediation executed.
I've never before appreciated the irony (coincidenceness? coincidenciality? teachers?) of Nick being short for Nicholas (I'll give you a moment). I used to share a house with a very dedicated teacher, so they are out there, here. Others are just out-there. That went nowhere.
I also lived with two blonde Swedish back-packers, for awhile. They were good guys.
Right then. If my services are required in the future, I am busy teaching my lizard to fly.

Personally, with my training, I'm fine, but I have noticed the isolation with this lockdown has really affected some people. Hopefully, the Hornbills will be by soon.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

mouytiet wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:23 am i done bit of teaching here and met alot of peaple that im sure gave more to the peaple of this country than the commentators i see here.
If "English teachers" were at least able to spell simple words correctly, I'd respect them a lot more.
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

Alex wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:58 pm
If "English teachers" were at least able to spell simple words correctly, I'd respect them a lot more.
He may have been a maths teacher. I hope he wasn't teaching English anyway.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic