Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
beerlaodrinker
Expatriate
France

Re: Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Post by beerlaodrinker »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:59 pm
beerlaodrinker wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:17 pm
cautious colin wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:14 pm
beerlaodrinker wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:12 pm Its clear that if, as the PPP is now suggesting, the lockdown is extended until the 5th, then there needs to be a pause in salaries, consumption and expenditure, possibly with loan repayments reset by a fortnight to compensate.

We read in The Bible that Jesus fasted for 50 days and 40 nights. Other religions do this, it will do jo harm to the Buddhists of Cambodia to, if nothing else, show loyalty to the Government.
Huh?
Yes, apologies, there were two awful typos in the post that made it meaningless until I corrected it.
I imagine there are quite a few folks banking on getting paid at the end of the month. If lockdown gets extended, going to be challenging for payrolls to be physically processed given so many people are paid in cash. Will be an interesting week ahead for sure.
People will have to exercise patience and draw down on their savings. Our leaders here will show the way on this, I am sure.
beerlaodrinker
Expatriate
France

Post by beerlaodrinker »

Arget wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:09 pm Brains much smarter than mine have made these decisions on lockdowns, close markets, deny the population access to food, except for the ruling class , and change their minds and orders again and again without considering consequences for the people who have been deprived of any income.

Smarter and more logical than I could ever be.
Remember, the government are outsmarting the virus not you. So we must applaud their success.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

beerlaodrinker wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:27 pm
ego bibere nimis wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:59 pm
beerlaodrinker wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:17 pm
cautious colin wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:14 pm
beerlaodrinker wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:12 pm Its clear that if, as the PPP is now suggesting, the lockdown is extended until the 5th, then there needs to be a pause in salaries, consumption and expenditure, possibly with loan repayments reset by a fortnight to compensate.

We read in The Bible that Jesus fasted for 50 days and 40 nights. Other religions do this, it will do jo harm to the Buddhists of Cambodia to, if nothing else, show loyalty to the Government.
Huh?
Yes, apologies, there were two awful typos in the post that made it meaningless until I corrected it.
I imagine there are quite a few folks banking on getting paid at the end of the month. If lockdown gets extended, going to be challenging for payrolls to be physically processed given so many people are paid in cash. Will be an interesting week ahead for sure.
People will have to exercise patience and draw down on their savings. Our leaders here will show the way on this, I am sure.
You are joking I assume. Khmers don't have savings. They largely live hand to mouth. I imagine there are many khmers hoping to get some salary payment at the end of the month.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

beerlaodrinker wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:27 pm People will have to exercise patience and draw down on their savings. Our leaders here will show the way on this, I am sure.
lol

monstra mihi bona!
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Yesterday's video from John Campbell looked at vitamin D levels in India. A pre-Covid study there showed they are very low in 80% of the population. The typical Indian diet does not contain much (unless it includes fish) and they don't like to expose their skin to powerful sunlight (remind you of anywhere?) and they may use sunblocking creams.

Besides helping to prevent Covid, good levels of vit D helps to keep bones healthy because otherwise the blood steals calcium from the bones - this is especially significant for pregnant women, often with consequences for their dental health. And the research showed it can help with a long list of other conditions including rickets, heart disease, obesity, depression, cancer and TB.

Clearly this has implications for Cambodia. We need to get in strong sunshine for 20 minutes every day (with a lot of skin exposed) - the darker you are, the longer you need. Failing that, we need to take supplements but they are expensive and even unavailable at present. In the USA the recommended daily dose is 600 units per day but whilst this may be enough to stave off rickets, more like 2000 units may be necessary to prevent Covid and other diseases. Dr Faucci famously admitted to taking 7000 units per day when asked by a reporter.

orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by orussey98 »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:32 pm You are joking I assume. Khmers don't have savings. They largely live hand to mouth. I imagine there are many khmers hoping to get some salary payment at the end of the month.
Totally true, all the wealth is apparent in Cambodia.
What you see is what they have
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

daylight hours.
We read in The Bible that Jesus fasted for 40 days and 40 nights. Other religions do this, it will do no harm to the Buddhists of Cambodia to, if nothing else, show loyalty to the Government.
The Bible
That's a bunch of fairy stories from the middle east during the stone age.

fasted for 40 days and 40 nights. Other religions do this,

What religions do this? Complete starvation for 30 days?

Muslims have Ramadan but that's only fasting during daylight hours.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

@armchairlawyer
I wouldn't read to much into Vit D deficiencies since that's become so common that Drs in many countries straight up ignore it. Australia has high rates of deficiency but hasn't been overwhelmed by Covid.
Scarier than malaria.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

ali baba wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:40 pm @armchairlawyer
I wouldn't read to much into Vit D deficiencies since that's become so common that Drs in many countries straight up ignore it. Australia has high rates of deficiency but hasn't been overwhelmed by Covid.
Isn't that because Australia has been so successful at track and trace?
You're right that some experts are sceptical about the links between vitamin D and Covid, Prof Tim Spector for example, although even he concedes that very low levels are significant.
But at this stage of Covid there has been no time yet for extensive trials and there is evidence to say it helps. Seeing that it is inexpensive and easy and safe, it is obviously being given attention by serious people.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

ali baba wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:40 pm @armchairlawyer
That's probably a worthwhile price you pay if you want to avoid skin cancer. Cover up, sunblock, hats etc.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic