Seaspiracy

Streaming video, book reviews, movie requests and more.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Seaspiracy

Post by phuketrichard »

well worth watching;

Seaspiracy is a 2021 documentary film about the environmental impact of fishing directed by and starring Ali Tabrizi, a British filmmaker

While the film may have its faults, it is nevertheless a damning indictment against the fishing industry that brings up pressing environmental and social issues.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/sustainab ... l7zzAN84QA

https://www.1377x.to/torrent/4816266/Se ... -GalaxyRG/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Seaspiracy

Post by phuketrichard »

and of course China is hard at work fucking the fishing industry

'China's Fishing Fleet Drives Beijing's Global Ambitions
Governments and conservation groups accuse the ships of fishing illegally and advancing military goals
In Beijing's push to become a maritime superpower, China's fishing fleet has grown to become the world's largest by far -- and it has turned more aggressive, provoking tensions around the globe.

The fleet brings in millions of tons of seafood a year to feed the country's booming middle class.

Foreign governments, fishermen and conservation groups have accused the fleet of illegal fishing, including by using banned equipment and venturing into other countries' territory.

That fishing has upended local economies and threatens ecosystems including around the Galápagos Islands, affected governments and fishermen say.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/21 ... -ambitions
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Call it what it is. It’s no random collection of fishing vessels. It’s a naval task force. There are command and control ships, re-supply vessels, tankers, etc. PLAN ships and Chinese coast guard ships are along the perimeter, just waiting for an excuse to ‘defend’ this force.

Strategy taken straight from the book of war.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Saw it last week. Quite fascinating. Pretty disgusted at the last bit - well, it was all quite an eye opener - but the last part with the whaling on the Faroe Islands was particularly gruesome.

I'm glad to see that the myth of the moral high-ground from people who claim to not eat meat and only eat fish for ethical reasons has been busted. I've never been able to work out why eating fish was somehow more morally correct than eating meat. They're all animals who suffer the same pain and abuse, either through factory farming, over-fishing or hunting.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

"sports fishing" "catch and release"

We seem to have a blind spot there.
Why can't i catch a horse or a deer or an elephant with a big hook through its mouth and wrestle it in its pain and panic for hour or so - just for my fun?
If i can torture fish for my pleasure and to prove my manly skills - why can't i torture animals in exactly the same way too?

Knowing what a bad way the oceans are in, i have not eaten fish from "unsustainable fisheries" for a very long time now. (very few fisheries are sustainable).
But I have not eaten any fish at all for a number of years simply because of of my relationship with the ecosystem that i love and study. just a personal thing.

I "get" fishing for food. but i have never been able to relate to the prolonged torturing of fish for "sport".
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

lol. 'reminds me of my first night on CEO.
There was a discussion about where to get the best Alaskan crab in Phnom Penh.

You're in foreign territory here, Sunshine - i said to myself.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

please delete mods I have no business commenting here and will refrain
Last edited by bossho on Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:27 am "sports fishing" "catch and release"

We seem to have a blind spot there.
Why can't i catch a horse or a deer or an elephant with a big hook through its mouth and wrestle it in its pain and panic for hour or so - just for my fun?
If i can torture fish for my pleasure and to prove my manly skills - why can't i torture animals in exactly the same way too?

Knowing what a bad way the oceans are in, i have not eaten fish from "unsustainable fisheries" for a very long time now. (very few fisheries are sustainable).
But I have not eaten any fish at all for a number of years simply because of of my relationship with the ecosystem that i love and study. just a personal thing.

I "get" fishing for food. but i have never been able to relate to the prolonged torturing of fish for "sport".
Totally agree those fishing show are ruthless torture for the sake of egos, it's definitely not sport.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

That documentary looks like a hobby project and is a bit all over the place. That being said, I'm glad I watched it, as it did provide some food for thought.

Speaking of food though, the real dilemma is that there's pretty much nothing left you can eat without supporting one kind of abuse or another.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

^^
Cashews are tasting better than local battery chickens the more i think about it.
Needing lots of protein when i am working, i eat heaps of both - but my imagination is starting to affect the taste.
Definitely plan to keep steadily moving towards going totally nuts.

Is it acceptable here (on CEO) if i go the full Cashewterian but promise not to wear fishing pants and my hair in a bun?
(and you know i'm not a peacenik hippy - in fact a fully hardcore streetfightin' Antifa type greenie)
:mrgreen:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic