Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
beerlaodrinker
Expatriate
France

Re: Information on Coronavirus in Cambodia from 8 March 2020 (Latest Updates)

Post by beerlaodrinker »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:13 am
Doc67 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:05 am On a personal note, a woman was taken from my building yesterday in an ambulance - a Covid-19 case.

My building is a shophouse type, with 3 buildings of 3 storeys all sharing one communal internal staircase.

In the morning there was double tape across the street, but it was unmanned. I thought it was a traffic control measure. I found out at 1pm that a woman had tested positive and lived in the building, on my floor.

Nobody sealed off the building or made any contact and I was free to come and go at will but I was fully prepared for a visit. At 6.30pm an ambulance arrived and took the woman away with the whole street watching the spectacle. At 7.30pm a cleaning crew turned up with their back-pack spraying machines and sprayed all the internals of the building. They also spoke to the immediate neighbour of the infected person. Fortunately the apartment in question is as far away as possible from me, but it's still way too close for comfort. I waited for the 8pm curfew to arrive - maybe they catch everyone after 8pm - but nothing.

At the time of writing nobody has knocked on my door to inform me, to test me or to impose any restrictions. There are no notices posted on my door. I am yet to venture into the street but I assume I am free to leave (I will find out soon enough). This is in stark contrast to condo's that were all locked up when this outbreak began and I am extremely surprised (and relieved) at the lack of contact.

Maybe they really have run out of resources and simply haven't got the manpower to try and lockdown a small building; I seriously hope that remains the case.
Informative and detailed.

This is what people crave... information.

As to your conclusion. I think you are correct, they don't have the resources to lock down a shop house style building.
Shophouses do not have shared facilities, such as gyms, pools and areas of congregation that condos do.
So there is less suspicion of inter-building transmission and less point sealing them all up.
beerlaodrinker
Expatriate
France

Post by beerlaodrinker »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:41 am They've given up on the idea of testing everyone in the Red Zones. It took a day or so for them to crunch the numbers.

We knew right away it would be impossible, the numbers involved divided by the spare testing capacity doomed this from the beginning. It really does shine a light on the calibre of persons at very high levels.

The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has also revised its compulsory Covid-19 testing requirement for all residents in the red zones – where residents are forbidden from leaving their homes – just one day after its earlier announcement which mandated testing for everyone and raised the threat of legal actions against anyone who failed to comply.

According to the new instructions released on April 24, now only those who have had contact with infected patients or are living in high-risk areas have to be tested.

“Testing in the red zone is now required for those who have had direct and indirect contact with Covid-19 patients, those who live the areas with a high number of positive cases, those who have temperatures, a cough, sneezing, difficulty breathing or anyone else who thinks that they may have contracted the virus,” municipal governor Khuong Sreng said in the new directive.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... 9-patients
As Bruno Ganz depicted well in his most noted acting role, the leadership may believe that that they have been let down by their officials.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:13 am
Doc67 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:05 am On a personal note, a woman was taken from my building yesterday in an ambulance - a Covid-19 case.

My building is a shophouse type, with 3 buildings of 3 storeys all sharing one communal internal staircase.

In the morning there was double tape across the street, but it was unmanned. I thought it was a traffic control measure. I found out at 1pm that a woman had tested positive and lived in the building, on my floor.

Nobody sealed off the building or made any contact and I was free to come and go at will but I was fully prepared for a visit. At 6.30pm an ambulance arrived and took the woman away with the whole street watching the spectacle. At 7.30pm a cleaning crew turned up with their back-pack spraying machines and sprayed all the internals of the building. They also spoke to the immediate neighbour of the infected person. Fortunately the apartment in question is as far away as possible from me, but it's still way too close for comfort. I waited for the 8pm curfew to arrive - maybe they catch everyone after 8pm - but nothing.

At the time of writing nobody has knocked on my door to inform me, to test me or to impose any restrictions. There are no notices posted on my door. I am yet to venture into the street but I assume I am free to leave (I will find out soon enough). This is in stark contrast to condo's that were all locked up when this outbreak began and I am extremely surprised (and relieved) at the lack of contact.

Maybe they really have run out of resources and simply haven't got the manpower to try and lockdown a small building; I seriously hope that remains the case.
Informative and detailed.

This is what people crave... information.

As to your conclusion. I think you are correct, they don't have the resources to lock down a shop house style building.

See my edited post...

They do have tape though, and a thousand eyes on the street just waiting and watching. It is probably as secure as anything.
Khmer_Risotto
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Khmer_Risotto »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:41 am They've given up on the idea of testing everyone in the Red Zones. It took a day or so for them to crunch the numbers.

We knew right away it would be impossible, the numbers involved divided by the spare testing capacity doomed this from the beginning. It really does shine a light on the calibre of persons at very high levels.

The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has also revised its compulsory Covid-19 testing requirement for all residents in the red zones – where residents are forbidden from leaving their homes – just one day after its earlier announcement which mandated testing for everyone and raised the threat of legal actions against anyone who failed to comply.

According to the new instructions released on April 24, now only those who have had contact with infected patients or are living in high-risk areas have to be tested.

“Testing in the red zone is now required for those who have had direct and indirect contact with Covid-19 patients, those who live the areas with a high number of positive cases, those who have temperatures, a cough, sneezing, difficulty breathing or anyone else who thinks that they may have contracted the virus,” municipal governor Khuong Sreng said in the new directive.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... 9-patients
I kind of thought the reasoning for testing everyone in the red zones, where the highest infection rate would likely be, was so that they could quickly set a "ceiling" on the daily new cases. At that point they would then be able to show a daily reduction in the number of new cases and "flatten the curve". Would be good optics.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

There are a few things that come to mind, firstly how many staff and test kits are available, not only to test the people in the red zones, but also country wide. let's not forget also about the prospect of the investors flying in daily, would not do to run short of the means, then have to suspend flights for a time. Then again it could also be seen that the new law, has proven to work.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:41 am It really does shine a light on the calibre of persons at very high levels.
cambodian policy thinktank in action:

monstra mihi bona!
Josideb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Josideb »

So whats going on? Extension to the lockdown or is it all systems go on Wednesday? Anyone heard anything?
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Josideb wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:22 pm all systems go on Wednesday?
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

i think it's thursday anyway, 14 days includes wednesday

it looks like they might extend, but with new zones

PP Post: Govt Mulls Extension

the filthy workers will probably remain red zones
but leafier quarters might be orange or yellow with fewer restrictions
or perhaps even green/lockdown-free

monstra mihi bona!
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Phnom Poon wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:26 pm i think it's thursday anyway, 14 days includes wednesday

it looks like they might extend, but with new zones

PP Post: Govt Mulls Extension

the filthy workers will probably remain red zones
but leafier quarters might be orange or yellow with fewer restrictions
or perhaps even green/lockdown-free
attended the inter-ministerial meeting to review a decision on the extension of lockdown for Phnom Penh and Takmao twon
good proofreading by the PPP team

I would be surprised if it wasn't extended. At least we can guarantee when the announcement comes it will be timely and very clear
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic