Illegal Car Plates ? "Due to high blood pressure, death on one side of the family and taking psychotropic drugs ..."

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Illegal Car Plates ? "Due to high blood pressure, death on one side of the family and taking psychotropic drugs ..."

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Best excuse ever:
Okhna nabbed for illegal car licence plate
Lay Samean | Publication date 25 April 2021 | 17:50 ICT
Content image - Phnom Penh Post
The crossover bearing the illegal plate ‘Kampuchea, HE Okhna Pen Lim’ with an attached Cambodian People’s Party logo. Police

A 49-year-old man with the honourific Oknha was arrested on April 24 for using an illegal licence plate on his car.

The arrest was made after the Ministry of Public Works and Transport referred the case to the National Police for legal action as the ministry does not issue this type of licence plate and considers it to be illegal.

Russey Keo district police detained the oknha, Pen Lim, along with his Toyota crossover bearing the plate "Kampuchea, HE Okhna Pen Lim" with an attached Cambodian People's Party logo.

"The man also admitted his mistake and removed the licence plate. He signed a letter promising not to repeat the offence and publicly apologised for using the plate. He also made a video apologising for using inappropriate words on social media,” authorities said.

"Due to high blood pressure, death on one side of the family and taking psychotropic drugs, and after education, making a contract and apologising, the police allowed him to return home," said the National Police’s website.

In the video, Pen Lim said: "Because I was angry with my subordinate, who used to live with me but then went to work in Thailand. He posted my licence plate to the ministry … so, I would like to deeply apologise for being so angry. It was because my mental illness is worsening.

"As for the licence plate, I have removed it and from today I will stop using it," he said.

The Post could not reach the Russey Keo police chief for comment.

The ministry's secretary of state Kong Vimean told The Post that the licence plate was for seeking attention.

"Using such license plates is detrimental to a state institution; the ministry does not have a policy to officially use such licence plates. Their use is illegal," he said.

"Secondly, the CPP does not allow anyone to use the party's logo for private or personal gain, such as this case," he said.

According to Vimean, the police had previously provided Lim with education and guidance in 2020 for the same infringement, but recently he used the same licence plate again.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... ence-plate
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Illegal Car Plates ? "Due to high blood pressure, death on one side of the family and taking psychotropic drugs ..."

Post by John Bingham »

I saw that posted on Khieu Kanaharith's page earlier and wondered what the hell it meant. There are red Police plates, green state plates, red and blue army ones, place plates, light blue for UN/ NGO and some orange ones for diplomatic vehicles, and the orange/yellow ones for wrong hand side trucks. Where I'm from there is only one type of plate, diplomatic vehicles just have a CD sticker.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic