Sub goes missing in Indonesia

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Re: Sub goes missing in Indonesia

Post by Random Dude »

hanno wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:41 pm The sub is lost:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56871694
Yep, poor buggers. The fact that they're finding parts of it floating around presumably suggests the hull imploded, which at least would be a small mercy for the crew.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Metal fatigue must be a big factor in a sub that old, even the long serving Los Angeles class were decommissioned in less time.
R.I.P
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

ergosemper wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:40 pm When it comes to the worst death imaginable, the only parallel to this gruesome incident that I can think of is cave diving or caving (spelunking). Truly nightmarish. Being hopelessly stuck thousands of feet below the ocean is akin to the Nutty Putty and Mossdale Caverns tragedies.
I did some cave diving in the Bahamas back in the 70's.
You really had to keep ur shit together

also did some spelunking in West Virginia and Kentucky, we would go in for days at a time, when we would sleep... no lights, cant see ur hand 2 inches on from of ur face.

at least in a sub it would be quick once the air ran out( u just go to sleep) or the sub imploded cause it was to deep

RIP guys
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

When i was in the RAN reserves** in the late 60's we were given a tour of HMAS Oxley, one of Australia's six Oberon class subs. (British design and build)
'One of the scariest experiences of my life. Sooo flocking cramped.
I reckon my lifelong high-end claustrophobia probably stems from this visit - it induced teenage imaginings of exactly the same kind of experience as these poor Indonesian submariners actually experienced.
And it probably explains why submariners are always considered a bit wild and "mad", even compared with normal sailors standards.

Istirahat Dengan Damai, teman kita - you are amongst the very mad-bravest of them all.

Spoiler:
A proud former member of a fully commissioned Royal Australian Naval Cadet Corps for three of my high school years.
At that time (not now) the Naval Cadets were an official arm of the Naval Reserves - and hence, i am officially classified as a former Australian Defence Force member (so i am told).
3 Weeks of school holidays aboard ships every year, and the same at HMAS Watson at South Head, the RAN's primary maritime warfare training establishment, to learn all about Naval lore.
(plus my step dad was on the HMAS Hobart as a very exposed artillery (and kamakazi) observer all the way from the Coral Sea into Tokyo harbour.)
So i am pretty well steeped in RAN tradition - For a non-Aussie single citizen Kiwi :mrgreen:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic