Leaving Cambodia due to the situation?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Leaving Cambodia due to the situation?

Post by Chuck Borris »

On a way back to PP I had 10 hours layover in Changi (with SIA).
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Matty9999 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:40 pm
Thanks, theres actually a flight leaving tonight at 11:40 pm but im not ready to take it. Its from PP to Singapore layover is 2 hours 15 minutes, then a flight to Frnankfurt.not sure on the layover restriction there but i wonder what they would do if you overstayed it, deport me back to the USA? hm im not sure.
Singapore have things fairly well sorted for their transit area. It’s likely there’s no restrictions, now. None that I can see on their website. Vaccination, PCR testing, procedures for managing the segregation of passengers, are all going to help. As routes open up, and airports get busier, this will no doubt get harder to manage.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

everyone knew how corrupt, venal, vain, and selfish this goverment is
but it's easy to sweep under the carpet for the better points of living in cambodia

how many people have changed their minds now they see these attributes at scale?

monstra mihi bona!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Phnom Poon wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:35 am everyone knew how corrupt, venal, vain, and selfish this goverment is
but it's easy to sweep under the carpet for the better points of living in cambodia

how many people have changed their minds now they see these attributes at scale?
The why and wherefores don't really form part of this equation for me, just the simple positives and negatives.

This place has lost nearly all it's positives and now has a very long (and growing) list of negatives. I think this is highly unlikely to improve substantially in the next 3-6 months and even then, what will be left standing to enjoy?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

The china fixation is my main disappointment that has changed Cambodia sadly
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

it's still a good place for comedy though

trump was an amateur

monstra mihi bona!
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

I agree, most of the positives are now gone and the negatives are only increasing. It was the lack of silly regulations that separated Cambodia from other countries, now that is gone, I will be gone.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

Dunderhead wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:49 am I agree, most of the positives are now gone and the negatives are only increasing. It was the lack of silly regulations that separated Cambodia from other countries, now that is gone, I will be gone.
Agree im also leaving however there are two or three things that could keep me inside Cambodia:

Positive CV test on the way to the airport, if so then i lose the flight and must try again. Its possible that I could have been exposed to it at some point just like anyone.

Two is a massive increase in flight prices. If so, then ill just wait a bit longer.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Matty9999 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:13 am
Dunderhead wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:49 am I agree, most of the positives are now gone and the negatives are only increasing. It was the lack of silly regulations that separated Cambodia from other countries, now that is gone, I will be gone.
Agree im also leaving however there are two or three things that could keep me inside Cambodia:

Positive CV test on the way to the airport, if so then i lose the flight and must try again. Its possible that I could have been exposed to it at some point just like anyone.

Two is a massive increase in flight prices. If so, then ill just wait a bit longer.
make sure you get a fully flexible ticket!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

xandreu wrote:
Cambo Dear wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:18 pm Just to let you know, if you are still resident in the UK, you can isolate at home rather than paying for the isolation hotel. This isn't a fact that is widely reported but it is a fact. I think residency expires after 3 years consecutively out of the country or if you formally state to the authorities that you are no longer resident. Might be relevant.
And if you are no longer resident - AFAIK, you are only legally obliged to stay in a government quarantine hotel if you arrive there from a country on the 'red list'. Currently, Cambodia is not on the 'red list' of countries and therefore if you return to the UK, you may self-isolate at 'home' - assuming you still have one? I don't know if a normal hotel would be classified as the same as a home? (Travelodge / Holiday Inn etc)

Apparently, as soon as you do anything that shows your intention to remain in the UK (rental agreement / job contracts etc) your residency rights are returned to you - free access to the NHS I guess would be the most important at the moment.
If you are travelling from a non red list country you can do your self isolation/quarantine anywhere, at home, at a friends etc, you just need to declare where you’re isolating address when you do your pre flight registration documents on the gov website,
a friendly policeman will come knocking on the door of said declared location to see if you are there,
if you are isolating at home or at a friends, anyone else living there needs to self isolate with you also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic