Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Post by atst »

If you're sitting next to a saggy old man in Harry's it could be me, I drink any draught beer thanks.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

atst wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:19 am If you're sitting next to a saggy old man in Harry's it could be me, I drink any draught beer thanks.
I only drink out of cans ,bottles , or my own glasses at home - who wants to drink draf out of a glass everybody used before ?
... unless you trust the dish washer !
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Empty threats or wishful thinking, nobody will be sitting at Harry's (or Larry's for that matter) anytime soon.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

‘The system has collapsed’: India’s descent into Covid hell
Many falsely believed that the country had defeated Covid. Now hospitals are running out of oxygen and bodies are stacking up in morgues
by Hannah Ellis-Petersen in Delhi
Last modified on Thu 22 Apr 2021 05.09 BST

Looking out over a sea of jostling, maskless faces gathered at a political rally in West Bengal on Saturday, the Indian prime minister, Narendra Modi, proudly proclaimed that he had “never ever seen such huge crowds”. A mask was also noticeably absent from Modi’s face.

That same day, India registered a record-breaking 234,000 new coronavirus cases and 1,341 deaths – and the numbers have kept rising since.

The country has descended into a tragedy of unprecedented proportions. Almost 1.6 million cases have been registered in a week, bringing total cases to more than 15 million. In the space of just 12 days, the Covid positivity rate doubled to 17%, while in Delhi it hit 30%. Hospitals across the country have filled to capacity but this time it is predominately the young taking up the beds; in Delhi, 65% of cases are under 40 years old.

While the unprecedented spread of the virus has been partly blamed on a more contagious variant that has emerged in India, Modi’s government has also been accused of failures of political leadership from the top, with lax attitudes emulated by state and local leaders from all parties and even health officials across the country, which led many to falsely believe in recent months that India had defeated Covid.

“Leadership across the country did not adequately convey that this was an epidemic which had not gone away,” said K Srinath Reddy, president of the Public Health Foundation of India.

“Victory was declared prematurely and that ebullient mood was communicated across the country, especially by politicians who wanted to get the economy going and wanted to get back to campaigning. And that gave the virus the chance to rise again.”

In West Bengal, where Modi’s government has refused to curtail the drawn-out state elections that his Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is hoping to win, Modi and his home minister, Amit Shah, continued their public meetings and roadshows into this week even as queues of ambulances lined up outside hospitals across India. On Saturday, the same day as Modi’s rally, the state registered 7,713 new cases – the highest since the pandemic began. Three candidates running in the election have died from the virus. By Sunday, #ModiMadeDisaster began trending on Twitter.

Doctors on the frontline broke down, speaking of the deluge of dying Covid patients they had been unable to treat due to a lack of beds and inadequate state and central government preparation.

Dr Amit Thadhani, director of Niramaya hospital in Mumbai, which is only treating Covid patients, said he had given warnings about a virulent second wave back in February but they had gone ignored. He said now his hospital was “completely full and if a patient gets discharged, the bed is filled within minutes”. Ten days ago, the hospital ran out of oxygen, but alternative supplies were found just in time.
Full article: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... covid-hell
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Isn't it strange that we hear nothing of any covid in China these days? Do they not have it anymore?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Arget wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:24 pm Isn't it strange that we hear nothing of any covid in China these days? Do they not have it anymore?
China who?
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

India is royally Fucked now
330,000 cases in ONE DAY!! total now 14,526,600 confirmed cases
Deaths in the past 24 hours also jumped to over 2,200

saw some video reports on BBC of people dying in ambulances cause no room in the hospital and no oxygen as well

Patients and hospitals beg for help as a catastrophic second wave batters India.
NEW DELHI — A catastrophic second wave of the coronavirus is battering India, which is reporting the world’s highest number of new infections as hospitals and patients beg for fast-diminishing oxygen supplies and other emergency aid.

India recorded more than 330,000 coronavirus cases in 24 hours, the health ministry said on Friday, the second consecutive day that the country has set a global record for daily infections.

The catastrophe in India is playing out vividly on social media, with Twitter feeds and WhatsApp groups broadcasting hospitals’ pleas for oxygen and medicines, and families’ desperate searches for beds in overwhelmed Covid-19 wards. With many hospitals short of ventilators, television reports have shown patients lying inside ambulances parked outside emergency rooms, struggling to breathe.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/23/worl ... s36f4Ul954

18% of tests show positive!!
https://www.msn.com/en-in/video/technol ... i-BB1fYkFT
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:50 pm India is royally Fucked now
330,000 cases in ONE DAY!! total now 14,526,600 confirmed cases
Deaths in the past 24 hours also jumped to over 2,200

saw some video reports on BBC of people dying in ambulances cause no room in the hospital and no oxygen as well

Patients and hospitals beg for help as a catastrophic second wave batters India.
NEW DELHI — A catastrophic second wave of the coronavirus is battering India, which is reporting the world’s highest number of new infections as hospitals and patients beg for fast-diminishing oxygen supplies and other emergency aid.

India recorded more than 330,000 coronavirus cases in 24 hours, the health ministry said on Friday, the second consecutive day that the country has set a global record for daily infections.

The catastrophe in India is playing out vividly on social media, with Twitter feeds and WhatsApp groups broadcasting hospitals’ pleas for oxygen and medicines, and families’ desperate searches for beds in overwhelmed Covid-19 wards. With many hospitals short of ventilators, television reports have shown patients lying inside ambulances parked outside emergency rooms, struggling to breathe.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/23/worl ... s36f4Ul954

18% of tests show positive!!
https://www.msn.com/en-in/video/technol ... i-BB1fYkFT
post487569.html#p487569
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Is this the old query about whether this is only just taking hold, or as testing continues, it becoming more apparent that it’s been here a while?

In the early days of the virus (in the west) you needed the cough And the fever/temperature to be considered as a potential risk. No actual test to rule it in or out at that point.

An average of 14 days to develop symptoms, with shortest considered at 7, and longest at 21. So, potentially 7 days with the bug but not being a risk until symptoms develop, by which time you’ve been more than a risk and freely mixing for a week. On a quiet week at work, that would be 20-25 people that I’d be in direct contact with. Not ruled out, and not considered a risk. But self isolating as a general precaution was deemed sufficient.

A year on, little has changed for me. I work the same. I travel the same. The only real difference is I’m now obliged to have a PCR test at a rate of roughly 1 per week.
I don’t meet the criteria for suspicion of being infected. I was last ruled out about 7 days ago, and I’m now considered a risk.

Looking at the number of reports of people circumventing lockdown/quarantine/general common sense caution/travel bans, and then a fair few testing positive, it raises the spectre of this possibly being well established in the community, and not being detected due to ignorance and fear of the potentially afflicted.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic