Derek Chauvin Guilty

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Derek Chauvin Guilty

Post by Big Daikon »

hanno wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:11 pm At the same time, an average of three people a day were killed by police during the trial:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/17/us/p ... lings.html
52 civilian murders per day in 2020.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I'm pleased with the verdict, and curious what sentence he will ultimately get.

It doesn't matter "what" the victim was, a "saint" or otherwise. That knee on neck action that was on trial here is indefensible, plain and simple.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

It's wrong to charge him with murder, the whole system is at fault & he will be made the scapegoat!
The Minneapolis police is hired by the city rather than the state with a uniform system of conduct.
There were multiple complaints made about this officer & he was allowed to continue in his usual manner & there is obviously a systemic attitude & lack of training as none of his fellow colleagues reacted to his handling of the situation.
I presume that in a society where anyone could have a gun that they would generally use full force & aggression.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Alex wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:29 pm That knee on neck action that was on trial here is indefensible, plain and simple.
The goofy thing is that Chauvin's actions were acceptable actions according to MPD policy at the time.

https://apnews.com/article/was-officer- ... db4386abf2
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Alex wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:29 pm I'm pleased with the verdict, and curious what sentence he will ultimately get.

It doesn't matter "what" the victim was, a "saint" or otherwise. That knee on neck action that was on trial here is indefensible, plain and simple.
let the punishment fit the crime;
he took a life, anything less than 40 years imprisonment, (which amounts to life at his age ) is an injustice and certainly 12.5 years wont go over good with the public

BUT he will appeal, which could last years
I wonder if the police dept/state, is picking up the legal fees?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

12 and a 1/2 is plenty for doing his job , give the guy a break
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Yobbo wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:03 pm It's wrong to charge him with murder, the whole system is at fault & he will be made the scapegoat!
That's nanny state hogwash. There's a lot wrong with the system, granted, but "the system" didn't put a knee on the victim's neck and left it parked there for a whopping 9 minutes. An individual did that and he needed to be held accountable for that. He made a choice and is ultimately responsible for it; there are plenty of police officers who operate within the very same system without resorting to murdering people.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Big Daikon wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:06 pm
Alex wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:29 pm That knee on neck action that was on trial here is indefensible, plain and simple.
The goofy thing is that Chauvin's actions were acceptable actions according to MPD policy at the time.

For me, the big thing isn't that he used his knee to restrain the victim in the first place. That might or might not have been appropriate. Whatever technique needs to be used in an initial scuffle to restrain a subject, fine with me within reason. What made it murder is the duration, when there wasn't any struggle or resistance anymore for a long time. I think that's a fairly obvious distinction to make.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Alex wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:31 pm

For me, the big thing isn't that he used his knee to restrain the victim in the first place. That might or might not have been appropriate. Whatever technique needs to be used in an initial scuffle to restrain a subject, fine with me within reason. What made it murder is the duration, when there wasn't any struggle or resistance anymore for a long time. I think that's a fairly obvious distinction to make.
Fair point.

I think the decision came from police training instructing officers to maintain control of a scene. Drugged-up criminals can be dangerous to police, plus there was a hostile crowd making threats towards Chauvin.

Also, Floyd had a fatal cocktail of drugs in his system.

I can see American cops getting wildly violent in many cases. OTOH, they are dealing with extremely high levels of violent crime.

Not sure how the nation should proceed.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Big Daikon wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:49 pm
Alex wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:31 pm

Fair point.

I think the decision came from police training instructing officers to maintain control of a scene. Drugged-up criminals can be dangerous to police, plus there was a hostile crowd making threats towards Chauvin.

Also, Floyd had a fatal cocktail of drugs in his system.

I can see American cops getting wildly violent in many cases. OTOH, they are dealing with extremely high levels of violent crime.

Not sure how the nation should proceed.
He did not have “a fatal cocktail of drugs in his system”, he had a fatal knee to his neck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic