Arrival Queries In These Uncertain Times

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Arrival Queries In These Uncertain Times

Post by Matty9999 »

MaxNormal wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:36 pm Thank you PSD-Kiwi,

These are great answers, very helpful and kind of you to help out with this information. It is really appreciated.

This will help a great deal as we look at the situation and planning as it unfolds before us. Thank you also for your work on putting the documents on the Covid thread, they have been really helpful too.

Have a wonderful day.
I wouldn't come. They may ban you from going between PP and Siem Reap for months. Force you to get a hotel in PP then get stuck here or turn back. Its generally too inconvenient. They have also prevented local residents in hot zones from going to the grocery store. I'm actually looking to move out shortly from PP to the airport to another country.
MaxNormal
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MaxNormal »

Thank you @yongchi for your helpful information on phones and bank accounts. Very useful stuff :)

@Matty9999 Thank you for your honest advice, your candor is appreciated.

The thing I am only a little confused about, is that if one has a letter from the Ministry of Health authorising travel from one place to another, so that lockdown restrictions can be observed lawfully at ones residence, why would a checkpoint override that if it is an official document. Don't get me wrong, even as I'm typing that, I am aware that things don't and haven't been operating in a logical way so far, it just seems particularly odd that it would be specifically in the lockdown document update, and on official MoH paperwork. That's the one thing the articles I've read say the checkpoints care about, if anything - proper documents.

But indeed. Quite a lot to think about from this thread and a few kind private messages that have been received.

Nothing is final and we take each piece of information and each day as it comes to us.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

MaxNormal wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:28 pm
The thing I am only a little confused about, is that if one has a letter from the Ministry of Health authorising travel from one place to another, so that lockdown restrictions can be observed lawfully at ones residence, why would a checkpoint override that if it is an official document.
Have you ever been to Cambodia before?...don't try applying logic or understanding to what may be logical to us :wink:
MaxNormal
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MaxNormal »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:52 pm
The thing I am only a little confused about, is that if one has a letter from the Ministry of Health authorising travel from one place to another, so that lockdown restrictions can be observed lawfully at ones residence, why would a checkpoint override that if it is an official document.
Have you ever been to Cambodia before?...don't try applying logic or understanding to what may be logical to us :wink:
I have not but if reading these forums has taught me anything, that is most definitely one of the take homes... :P
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Max
To build on the replies so far, I pick up on this-
MaxNormal wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:52 am It doesn't seem as though every part of the authorities efforts is joined up or on the same page with things regarding .... rules
This is actually a normal thing. The way the local Sangkat office do something may well be at odds with how another agency do things.
I think back to getting a passport for my son. The Sangkat used a handwritten form of the Birth certificate, which was deemed unacceptable to the Passport office who wanted it typed. The Sangkat were quite clear that they don't care about what the passport office want.

Often it seems, there is little coordination between government agencies, and it is quite open to individual interpretation. The handling of visa applications by consulates and embassies highlighting just how varied this can be.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Hello OP,
The others have already given you some good info.
One of the wonderful specifics of Cambodia, is that it's extremely hard to plan for things before you get in-country, especially if you've never been here before. Another thing is that laws, rules and regulations may differ in different parts of the country. Cambodia is always a bit chaotic, but right now, it's chaos x10. And, as has been said already, rules can change at a moment's notice. And forget logic.

One thing to add is that I would avoid flying in to Phnom Penh if you can help it, and I'd suggest looking into a direct flight to Siem Reap, if that's possible at the moment. If the situation in Phnom Penh hasn't improved by the time you get here, then it may be worse and you could get stuck indefinitely. IMO, any time there is a crisis in Cambodia, you are better off in the provinces.

Honestly, I'd also be thinking about a plan B. (Staying on in Korea for a few more months or looking for work somewhere else ? )
Anyway, best of luck whatever you decide.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:18 pm and I'd suggest looking into a direct flight to Siem Reap,
There have been no direct international passenger flights into Siem Reap for about 12 months, only Phnom Penh & Sihanoukville.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

MaxNormal wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:09 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:52 pm
I have not but if reading these forums has taught me anything, that is most definitely one of the take homes... :P
You also need transport to travel. Flights are basically not operating, neither are the buses. The problem with private transport is that the driver not only has to take you through multiple checkpoints on the way to Siem Reap, he also has to negotiate them on his way back. There are posts on this forum that show that even getting transport to Phnom Penh airport from elsewhere in the city is difficult, mainly because of the difficulty and costs for the driver to get home again.
If you haven’t been here before, I would strongly suggest you delay your trip. That’s not from any “we guys know how to handle this place” bravado or such like, just a genuine personal concern that you will have a very undesirable experience.
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:21 pm

A: MoH are issuing those released from quarantine a letter confirming their negative C19 Status, and authorisation to travel to their residence, address is listed on the letter. I am not sure whether this permits inter-provincial travel yet, as so far only reports are from those living in PP. The MoH does NOT facilitate transport
PSD-kiwi do you know if this is documented anywhere as we have visitors about to exit quarantine and they are being told they cannot leave the quarantine hotel and travel to their accommodation in PP?
MaxNormal
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MaxNormal »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:18 pm Hello OP,
The others have already given you some good info.
One of the wonderful specifics of Cambodia, is that it's extremely hard to plan for things before you get in-country, especially if you've never been here before. Another thing is that laws, rules and regulations may differ in different parts of the country. Cambodia is always a bit chaotic, but right now, it's chaos x10. And, as has been said already, rules can change at a moment's notice. And forget logic.

One thing to add is that I would avoid flying in to Phnom Penh if you can help it, and I'd suggest looking into a direct flight to Siem Reap, if that's possible at the moment. If the situation in Phnom Penh hasn't improved by the time you get here, then it may be worse and you could get stuck indefinitely. IMO, any time there is a crisis in Cambodia, you are better off in the provinces.

Honestly, I'd also be thinking about a plan B. (Staying on in Korea for a few more months or looking for work somewhere else ? )
Anyway, best of luck whatever you decide.
@Anchor Moy Thank you for your advice. Sadly PP is the only in route at this time into the country. Your observations about the matter, and your warnings are not alone, and I have had several messages of differing content echoing a similar thrust. Thank you, as with others, for your honest advice and warnings. Yours, and others, sentiments about having a plan B is something we are looking at, although we are thinking of it more as plan A-and-a-half. In that we will delay for a time, maybe a week at a time, observe the situation as it develops, create plan B's to put in our back pockets, and hold onto hope. We have time built into the scenario regards new contracts beginning, so we have some time to play with. Hopefully by then we will be in a position to see how things have played out in Cambodia, and be in a position to make a more informed decision about our prospects and options.
You also need transport to travel. Flights are basically not operating, neither are the buses. The problem with private transport is that the driver not only has to take you through multiple checkpoints on the way to Siem Reap, he also has to negotiate them on his way back. There are posts on this forum that show that even getting transport to Phnom Penh airport from elsewhere in the city is difficult, mainly because of the difficulty and costs for the driver to get home again.
If you haven’t been here before, I would strongly suggest you delay your trip. That’s not from any “we guys know how to handle this place” bravado or such like, just a genuine personal concern that you will have a very undesirable experience.
@Bluenose This is something I had thought about when looking at the transport option. It wouldn't be fair to ask a driver to risk his locational security, and legal security just to move us through the difficult situation. Even if we had a letter from MoH, and it was recognised by the blocks and authorities along the way, the returning chap would have no such letter. I would hate to impose and risk a mans livelihood and potential freedoms (20 year sentences one article said) on my account. I don't deal in that kind of karma!

I haven't taken anyone's warning as “we guys know how to handle this place bravado", but rather as honest and genuine advice and concern. We thank you and everyone else for your candor and taking your time to advise us honestly, and with an eye to fellow folks safety and security.
PSD-kiwi do you know if this is documented anywhere as we have visitors about to exit quarantine and they are being told they cannot leave the quarantine hotel and travel to their accommodation in PP?
@Element6 The notion of this information came fro a document PSD-Kiwi posted a translation of in the Updated PP/Takhmao Lockdown directive which can be found at this post: post486209.html#p486209

Article 3, second to last bullet point of the document states: "Activities of transporting individual after completing quarantine/patient from hospital or treatment facilities to be permitted and facilitated by authorities."

This was where the notion first came from that I asked about. PSD-Kiwi was then able to give further clarification to this in his initial response to my questions. I am very sorry to hear about the experience of your visitors, this is very concerning, and my wife and I wish them all the best. This is the sort of situation we were concerned about coming into. I'm sure it is very distressing for them to be stuck, and I hope there is a resolution for them. If it was not too rude, and not an imposition, could I ask that you let me know how the situation develops for them/as it does so. I understand if you'd rather not, but thought I'd ask.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic