What about Shanghai Bar ?

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: What about Shanghai Bar ?

Post by logos »

The buffet at shanghai is pretty good, I think it's once a month and it's an outside BBQ. Most customers are regulars. Went twice, both times got my $worth.

Girls : they won't go out with you unless you've established a relationship, which is of course what they're after. They also want to make sure you're no cheap charlie, to exclude guys like Nok I guess. Fair enough.

An ex GF I'd met when she was a waitress at 240 boutique hotel ended up working at Shanghai after a few weeks, we continued the relationship for a while, and she introduced me to her friends there. Nice girls, not hardcore (those I met anyway), but there is also a bunch of mercenaries, I guess they all turn our that way after a few months. Once in pontoon she actually prevented me from joining a table she was at with some other shanghai girls, as they'd order bottle after bottle and of course the barang with them were supposed to foot the bill (koreans or so at the time).

I think their prime customets are now non khmer asians who don't balk at the prices and cover them with gifts, as anyway they're cheap by asian standarts.
NokTang
Expatriate

Post by NokTang »

logos wrote:
Girls : they won't go out with you unless you've established a relationship, which is of course what they're after. They also want to make sure you're no cheap charlie, to exclude guys like Nok I guess. Fair enough.
A cheap low blow. In a very polite way, let me say "fuck you". I pay way over the top for the service I want when it's provided. I don't get scammed for lady drinks and the rest. That isn't how you define cheap, it's how you live and learn not to under estimate the willingness of people here in SEA to rip you off.

It's "fair enough" they don't want to go with guys who don't buy lady drinks but a result of being trained how to rip people off and judge them by same.

Some of you guys never learned how to recognize you are being scammed and often by other barangs and bargirls.

They want a relationship first, fine and dandy. No worries. Relationships work both ways. Don't let these intermediaries like "bars" and "mamasans" lead you astray.
JohnLeonard
Expatriate
Somalia

Post by JohnLeonard »

Well i never paid a bar fine or drinks but had a great time with one of the ladies there last November, i had to wait for her shift to be over only and she would always come to my place almost every other night, she didn't ask for anything except one time she asked to watch with her a movie in Aeon Mall, Shanghai is very good bar, the manager German guy peter is doing good job, RIP to the previous manager who passed away i heard.
Cat playing her favorite game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD7_GRm4xR8
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by chkwoot »

JohnLeonard wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:05 am Well i never paid a bar fine or drinks but had a great time with one of the ladies there last November, i had to wait for her shift to be over only and she would always come to my place almost every other night, she didn't ask for anything except one time she asked to watch with her a movie in Aeon Mall, Shanghai is very good bar, the manager German guy peter is doing good job, RIP to the previous manager who passed away i heard.
Which one? Both "Tony" and Geoff have passed. Another former manager is really fucked up and has been cheating death for a decade. But, Larry is doing great!
I am sooooo very sorry if you can't understand or appreciate my sarcastic facetiousness.
JohnLeonard
Expatriate
Somalia

Post by JohnLeonard »

chkwoot wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:01 am
JohnLeonard wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:05 am Well i never paid a bar fine or drinks but had a great time with one of the ladies there last November, i had to wait for her shift to be over only and she would always come to my place almost every other night, she didn't ask for anything except one time she asked to watch with her a movie in Aeon Mall, Shanghai is very good bar, the manager German guy peter is doing good job, RIP to the previous manager who passed away i heard.
Which one? Both "Tony" and Geoff have passed. Another former manager is really fucked up and has been cheating death for a decade. But, Larry is doing great!
I knew Tony.

armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Is Peter back at Shanghai? He left several months ago.
JohnLeonard
Expatriate
Somalia

Post by JohnLeonard »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:49 am Is Peter back at Shanghai? He left several months ago.
That's a surprise....!!
Why did he left, he was good.

cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

What exactly is it that a manager at Shanghai does? Many years ago Larry was a star with managing the food but after that it has been a long list of druggies and alcoholics, most not lasting more than a few months there and at the next 2 or 3 places clueless enough to hire them. I think the ladies that have been there a long time actually do a good job of self-managing the place and most despise the never ending manager changes. But then again it has been in business a long time so something must be working.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Maybe they should open up the position to applicants beyond Brits :stir:

The number and quality of the girls seems to have gone downhill in the last 2 years...is that symptom of bad management or just the general downturn in the sorya mall area?
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Maybe if the owner wasn't a cheap drunken asshole who thinks he is of regal status then there is hope.

Dusty, who was a very good manager, got treated like shit by the owner and the joint when downhill since then
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic