Android TV box vs. Smart TV stick

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
bona eek
Expatriate
Great Britain

Android TV box vs. Smart TV stick

Post by bona eek »

I'm sick to death of OneTV and their latest stunt of slashing available channels to from 72 (with only half working most of the time anyway) to 40 (losing HBO in the process) without any warning and only after I call them they tell me that I need to upgrade my box either by spending 49.00 or 85.00 bucks - it's just the last straw. How did they try to inform their customers? Using TVC... in Khmer... and only on Khmer channels. Like a chump, I waited three working days for a manager to call me back with some sort of explanation but now I've had it with their poor connection and diabolical service.

Which is more suitable in Cambodia, Android TV box or Smart TV stick? Do Smart TV sticks even work in Asia?

I think I might have to invest in Android TV box - anyone recommend a good place to buy and hopefully some advice on set-up, please?
"I'm consumed with apathy"
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Android TV box vs. Smart TV stick

Post by phuketrichard »

I use an have been using an android box for going on 4 years,
am very pleased to not be paying for shit tv anymore

My box is a MXpro9, paid less than $40, way back
as soon as you get it put kodi on it than go to youtube and search on duck duck go for "best kodi addons" and follow the instructions to add them.

I use Exodus redux and gets all my tv shows & movies

I only watch Basketball for sports and use https://fullmatchtv.com/
but they have other stuff.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
bona eek
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by bona eek »

HI PR,

Thanks for your prompt answer - with that set up are you able to get free to air channels too? I need Thai channels 3 and 7 at least...
"I'm consumed with apathy"
paul2d
Expatriate
Canada

Post by paul2d »

I've been using the NVidia Shield for several years now. Easy to set up. Gets regular updates, including security updates. Expensive. You can download any app on the Google app store and side-load any apps that are not on Google's store. Lots of tech aid here for assorted devices: https://troypoint.com/

The problem with the cheap Chinese android boxes is that they rarely update their products. Google periodically updates the version of android for video. Unless it is updated on the box you are using any apps that rely on the latest update can be rendered inoperable.

After my first (and only) chinese android box which stopped wording reliable after an android for video update I got the Shield and have been very happy with it.

Good luck.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

paul2d wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:36 pm I've been using the NVidia Shield for several years now. Easy to set up. Gets regular updates, including security updates. Expensive. You can download any app on the Google app store and side-load any apps that are not on Google's store. Lots of tech aid here for assorted devices: https://troypoint.com/

The problem with the cheap Chinese android boxes is that they rarely update their products. Google periodically updates the version of android for video. Unless it is updated on the box you are using any apps that rely on the latest update can be rendered inoperable.

After my first (and only) chinese android box which stopped wording reliable after an android for video update I got the Shield and have been very happy with it.

Good luck.
:stir:
wtf are u on, thats only an app
https://troypoint.com/troypoint-rapid-app-installer-reg

and as have been using my box for 4+ years totally unnecessary

For thai tv u'll need an addon or ... search for it
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

I have several Fire TV's, and they work great...but the storage sucks. I also have an Nvidea Shield, and it is awesome. They are more expensive for sure...but a great premium product.
paul2d
Expatriate
Canada

Post by paul2d »

For anyone still considering what device to buy, here is a guide of what NOT to buy: https://www.techhive.com/article/361521 ... amers.html
arnstar
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by arnstar »

I bought an Apple TV 4K for $160. Don't pay more!
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

arnstar wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:19 pm I bought an Apple TV 4K for $160. Don't pay more!
I signed up for a free year of apple t.v. with my new iPhone but it’s useless , they want pay for view on every thing .
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

dl the livenet.tv app and cast from ur phone or puter - tv from all over the world plus movies - free with sometimes an advert when you change streams
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic