People and Population of Angkor Civilization

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

People and Population of Angkor Civilization

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The People and Population of Angkor
- Alison Carter
•10 Mar 2021
Cotsen Institute of Archaeology at UCLA

The Angkor civilization was the major regional power in Southeast Asia from the 9-15th centuries CE. However, despite more than a century of archaeological research within Angkor’s capital, little is known about the lives of non-elites. This presentation discusses recent research on Angkor’s population at two scales. First, I present recent work by the Greater Angkor Project that has focused on understanding Angkor’s residential occupation through the investigation of habitation mounds within Angkor’s temple enclosures. Then, I present new collaborative research on the diachronic demographic growth of Greater Angkor, including updated population estimates, which highlight Angkor’s place as one of the world’s largest preindustrial settlements.

Check out Dr. Carter's publications on Academia.edu: https://uoregon.academia.edu/AlisonCa...
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Re: People and Population of Angkor Civilization

Post by bossho »

If and when I view this it will be with bias and suspicion. This Dr Carter appears to be in with Dr Miriam Stark who plagiarized a good friend of mine who has since vacated Cambodia it looks like forever. This friend of mine had his entire post doc worthy synapsis and mapping of Angkor Borei stolen and published by this crew of women Academics. He had been living in the region 20 years in 2008 as opposed to their 2 month funding sorties. I guess its a good thing for him that the US State dept finally snatched him up and kept him in play but it's a loss still to academia and locally he s always going to be missed.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

bossho wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:28 am If and when I view this it will be with bias and suspicion. This Dr Carter appears to be in with Dr Miriam Stark who plagiarized a good friend of mine who has since vacated Cambodia it looks like forever. This friend of mine had his entire post doc worthy synapsis and mapping of Angkor Borei stolen and published by this crew of women Academics. He had been living in the region 20 years in 2008 as opposed to their 2 month funding sorties. I guess its a good thing for him that the US State dept finally snatched him up and kept him in play but it's a loss still to academia and locally he s always going to be missed.
Do you want to say more on this ?
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

It wouldn't help any. Kyle was capable enough to sort it out but i think he felt like a target in Academia in the Social Sciences at that time anyway. White and straight and male there was no place for his type in those days at least. I don't know if things are different now or what. His work with Chams here buoyed him to places like Iraq and Afghanistan with a uniform and loads of knowledge about these folks he has able to write and work kinda for the man but with peacemaking at the top of the agenda.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

bossho wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:28 am stolen and published by this crew of women Academics.

What a weird detail to get hung up on. The misogyny dripping from your post is palpable, like you seem genuinely terrified at the prospect that women are out there having proper jobs.
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

Pretty weird alright. Has anyone watched it? 50 minutes is beyond my attention span unless it has some good reviews
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Bitchho:
"stolen and published by this crew of women Academics"

Nerdlinger:

"What a weird detail to get hung up on. The misogyny dripping from your post is palpable, like you seem genuinely terrified at the prospect that women are out there having proper jobs."

BitchnHo's Response:

Dude, here you go again, starting shit just to pick up a fight. Well, fight someone else. I m going to stick with my first hand accounts from my then roommate about how this crew of ,yes all women academics, came to Cambodia with an agenda and some funding to prove their agenda and then ripped off my then roomate's post doc work on Angkor Borei which he totally nailed because one of his best intellectual traits was the fact that he was a corn fed farm boy from rural Kansas and while he was sharp he tended not to overthink stuff. He re drew the entire dig and existing theory about that place and then those bitches stole it - like literally out of his tent, and then went back to Hawaii Manoa and published his shit. So if that makes me a misogynist in the book of fairy tales you ascribe to then I guess i am one. I don t answer to the same code.

Facts are facts Mr Chippin for a fight. In that time in Academia there was a large displacement under affirmative action and straight white dudes in social sciences didn't get much benefit of a doubt let alone College brass did not one want to hear them complaining- enough people know about what really want down that was in that world and everything s ok now without more revisionism decades later from us. Shit, Kyle sat there around the campfire and basically told the best anthro and arch. ppl in the region how their mapping was dead wrong and was not a f'g Mandala !' I 'd say the same to these bitches faces should I get the chance and then I'd bless myself for having the balls to NOT go the Academic route in life.

Joie moray to you and to that cackle of wenches. If it was a bunch of dirtbag dudes I d be using different language and ad hominem attacks are in bounds to the righteous, if you ever got on the right side of Johny Law you d have that license but your too busy doing the shoulda coulda woulda dance looking between your legs backwards and cross eyed instead of blazing forward like a real salt of the earth academic gun slinging motherf'r like K was.
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

So I'm guessing you thought the video was pretty good?
snoink
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by snoink »

nerdlinger wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:00 pm
bossho wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:28 am stolen and published by this crew of women Academics.

What a weird detail to get hung up on. The misogyny dripping from your post is palpable, like you seem genuinely terrified at the prospect that women are out there having proper jobs.
I'd like to think you're joking. I find it hard to believe someone would actually be such a willing Media casualty, assume this assinine easy A shit and then nose-up on the high ground.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

I always like to ham it up for the uppity Brits and lay it on heavy and have some fun with it - a willing media casualty - good one there, i m aw shucks dadburnin all over the damn barnyard so if the high ground belongs to rednecks or wannabee ones in my case then, yes to that one too- its not like your recent posts have not been so dry either snoink snoink.

I was doing a very believable Trump supporter back in July and the chronically drunk pontif i cators all believed it hook line and sinker

How'd you like the, ..."shit. Ol K had the worlds best archaeologists at the campfire at the dig and dispelled their theories with one fell swoop of country...""?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic