Vaccine queue jumping and ethics?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
chinesetakeaway
Expatriate
Niue

Vaccine queue jumping and ethics?

Post by chinesetakeaway »

It’s was no surprise to hear that the AZ vaccine is being offered for 100$ in PP at government hospitals to foreigners of all age groups. Given that someone in the priority group will go without would you pay?
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Vaccine queue jumping and ethics?

Post by nerdlinger »

I’d definitely feel bad about it, that’s for sure...
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

chinesetakeaway wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:18 pm It’s was no surprise to hear that the AZ vaccine is being offered for 100$ in PP at government hospitals to foreigners of all age groups.
It's a surprise to me. Where did you hear that?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

chinesetakeaway wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:18 pm It’s was no surprise to hear that the AZ vaccine is being offered for 100$ in PP at government hospitals to foreigners of all age groups. Given that someone in the priority group will go without would you pay?
How else do you propose they fund it? That's a steal already considering the cold-chain nightmare. It's already running at a loss. This is not about profit... it's about options. You have to pay, for the "magic-serum"...

I'd salute the guys and women who are standing in the hot sun, waiting to vaccinate ungrateful people.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

ofparadise wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:30 am
chinesetakeaway wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:18 pm It’s was no surprise to hear that the AZ vaccine is being offered for 100$ in PP at government hospitals to foreigners of all age groups. Given that someone in the priority group will go without would you pay?
How else do you propose they fund it? That's a steal already considering the cold-chain nightmare. It's already running at a loss. This is not about profit... it's about options. You have to pay, for the "magic-serum"...

I'd salute the guys and women who are standing in the hot sun, waiting to vaccinate ungrateful people.
?? AZ is $4 a shot and needs a standard fridge to be stored in (the AZ they currently have was free)
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Sounds like bullshit. AZ was given for free by Covax. A Chinese reporter was deported for claiming that people were selling some of the Chinese vaccines. I'm sure offers are being made, but the reality as to one being able to get it is a stretch. Scammers.

In 6+ months when most have been vaccinated they might adopt a free market approach, who knows. But not now.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Where did you hear that? 4 am in the bar from retired American green beret general? My friend posted on his FB 2 days ago that he was vaccinated with AstraZ. No money involved.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I'd be willing to pay such an amount for Pfizer or Moderna, but not for AstraZeneca. Queue jumping? I wouldn't mind; one criminal made an arbitrary decision about priorities and another criminal decided to give priority to those who pay (if true). That being said, I'm neither in Cambodia nor in any particular hurry to get vaccinated.
Frankl
Expatriate

Post by Frankl »

If front line staff are not vaccinated they will die....as happened pre vaccination in UK and elsewhere....the system in Cambodia will breakdown very quickly as there is a shortage of skilled staff as it is. Then we will look in to the gates of hell....see Brazil at the moment.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... g-of-covid
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Queue jumping by paying for the vaccine has two issues. Not only the ethical issue of saying that the lives of people with money are more important than those without, but once you effectively create a black market and introduce a profit motive, you are opening up the doors to all sorts of scams and conmen. Under normal circumstances, you would only be at risk of losing your life savings by interacting with these types of people, but when it comes to shooting who-knows-what into your arm, you're looking at losing your actual life.

There is enough doubt and risk involved in taking legitimate vaccines as it is. I don't want to introduce more by obtaining mine on some sort of black market, thanks.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic