Cancel Culture

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Cancel Culture

Post by Chad Sexington »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:31 pm Extinction Rebellion eco-warrior Alison Plaumer has claimed giving schoolkids too much dairy is "racist"Credit: SussexLive/BPM

The environmental campaigner, from XR's Brighton branch, is calling for more plant-based options in schools.

She has launched a petition on the Brighton and Hove City Council website for two plant-based days at state-run schools as soon as possible.

She also wants to see all council-run events to be plant-based once the pandemic is over.

According to SussexLive, Ms Plaumer told the council last month: "Arguably, there is a racist element to serving dairy too much because 65 per cent of the world’s population are lactose intolerant, many from the BAME (black, Asian and minority ethnic) community.

"Loads of parents around here give lots of support to this. What do children want? They want action. They want it now."

And in the petition, so far signed by 252 people, the campaigner says: "Food production alone is set to push Earth past 1.5°C of warming according to an Oxford University meta analysis in 2018."
You know the world is fucked when crackpots like this are given the time of day. They are the people who back in the day your parents would have told you “just ignore them, they’re not quite right in the head, more to be pitied than ridiculed” now they’re to be fucking worshipped?
This liberal PC race / gender bullshit is like religion a couple of centuries back, anyone who is not part of it, dares question it or admits to being a “non believer” gets shunned or excommunicated, how the fuck did we let that happen?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I declare XR and it’s cronies to be racist, as it/they seek to marginalise and persecute me because of some of the food I like to eat.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Bluey criticised for ‘lack of diversity’ by ABC journalist
Lucy Quaggin
7NEWS
Published: 15/04/2021
Updated: Thursday, 15 April 2021 12:33 pm AEST

An ABC journalist’s critique of the lack of diversity represented in the much-loved Australian children’s program Bluey has divided fans.

Beverley Wang has both praised and criticised ABC show Bluey - saying she’s frustrated that it’s “missing one thing”.

Her article has polarised fans of the show with some Twitter users believing her call politicises an innocent children’s show, while others say it’s a topic that needs to be addressed.

The Logie award-winning cartoon follows the lives of Bluey the blue heeler puppy and her family.

It’s been hailed for its depiction of modern-day families in Australia and is beloved by parents and children alike.

So, what’s the issue? Wang said it lies in the lack of diversity among the characters.

“My question is this: Can Bluey be more representative? (And yes, I’m aware that Bluey’s Border Collie pal Mackenzie is from New Zealand),” she said.

Wang begins the ABC Everyday article by also praising some of the show’s representations of parenting.

Bluey is a popular Australian children’s program.

The journalist also said she understands for “the most part Bluey’s creators don’t view their show through a political lens”.

“As a parent of colour, I am always conscious of the presence — or absence — of diverse representation in kids’ pop culture, what it means for children and the conversations we have around that,” she said.

“I sincerely believe you don’t have to be ‘Other’ to think about this too.”

Wang then asked where the diversity lies in the show.

“Where are the disabled, queer, poor, gender diverse, dogs of colour and single-parent dog families in Bluey’s Brisbane?” she said.

“If they’re in the background, let them come forward. (Maynard, voiced by Sean Choolburra, I’m looking at you.)“

Can you believe this shit about a kids cartoon needing to have disabled, queer, poor, gender diverse, dogs of colour and single-parent dog families

Get a life Pleeeeezze
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:04 pm I declare XR and it’s cronies to be racist, as it/they seek to marginalise and persecute me because of some of the food I like to eat.
You’re forgetting one important factor, they cannot be racist because they’ve already declared that you (and anyone else who is not with them) are racist, and because they said it first, they win, apparently.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

i'm sorry, are you racist old fossils trying to debate with the woke generation?
you do know that the very concepts of 'debate', and 'logic'
are constructs of white supremacist racists and other old dead men
it's always men
you cannot break your oppressor's house using his tools!

lol

monstra mihi bona!
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

This was in the Times newspaper a month or so ago. I later heard that many people on twitter who called this report "stupid" were then called racist.

"The countryside is racist and Britons must acknowledge the “lingering, ambient racism” from our past, a BBC Countryfile presenter has said.

Ellie Harrison said that research from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs showed that many people believed the national parks were a “white environment” "
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Lol, you guys. This entire thread is about being outraged about other people feeling outraged. :plus1:
Or it's about stirring the pot to get some more outrage going. :stir:
Carry on with your outraged feelings if you must, but remember that this is not good for your blood pressure. :mob:
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:52 pm i'm sorry, are you racist old fossils trying to debate with the woke generation?
you do know that the very concepts of 'debate', and 'logic'
are constructs of white supremacist racists and other old dead men
it's always men
you cannot break your oppressor's house using his tools!

lol
There was a time in my distant past when I would frequently find myself to be the youngest person in the room, and often with the most desire to find creative solutions to technical issues. The old fossils, dinosaurs in the room often being the anchors on creativity.
Now, I find myself to be a dinosaur. Possibly with some pride.

But I strongly believe there’s a difference!

These days, barking mad ideas such as yogurt being racist are the results of small minds pretending at lateral thinking, creativity, and progressive ideas.
In the same way that so many remakes of movies are often big budget mediocre affair, because nothing new has been brought to the table. Just more money, bigger, brighter, brasher, lots of half thought out ideas.

I feel saddened for these fools- I think they’ve been primed to believe that they can achieve anything they want, missing the bit of control whereby they have to have some aptitude, ability and make some real effort, not just standing out and making loud noises and pointing fingers.
They’re grasping to make a difference, in a sea teeming with like minded, but I’ll equipped clones, with few opportunities left for them.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Arget wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:28 pm Bluey criticised for ‘lack of diversity’ by ABC journalist
Lucy Quaggin
7NEWS
Published: 15/04/2021
Updated: Thursday, 15 April 2021 12:33 pm AEST

An ABC journalist’s critique of the lack of diversity represented in the much-loved Australian children’s program Bluey has divided fans.

Beverley Wang has both praised and criticised ABC show Bluey - saying she’s frustrated that it’s “missing one thing”.

Her article has polarised fans of the show with some Twitter users believing her call politicises an innocent children’s show, while others say it’s a topic that needs to be addressed.

The Logie award-winning cartoon follows the lives of Bluey the blue heeler puppy and her family.

It’s been hailed for its depiction of modern-day families in Australia and is beloved by parents and children alike.

So, what’s the issue? Wang said it lies in the lack of diversity among the characters.

“My question is this: Can Bluey be more representative? (And yes, I’m aware that Bluey’s Border Collie pal Mackenzie is from New Zealand),” she said.

Wang begins the ABC Everyday article by also praising some of the show’s representations of parenting.

Bluey is a popular Australian children’s program.

The journalist also said she understands for “the most part Bluey’s creators don’t view their show through a political lens”.

“As a parent of colour, I am always conscious of the presence — or absence — of diverse representation in kids’ pop culture, what it means for children and the conversations we have around that,” she said.

“I sincerely believe you don’t have to be ‘Other’ to think about this too.”

Wang then asked where the diversity lies in the show.

“Where are the disabled, queer, poor, gender diverse, dogs of colour and single-parent dog families in Bluey’s Brisbane?” she said.

“If they’re in the background, let them come forward. (Maynard, voiced by Sean Choolburra, I’m looking at you.)“

Can you believe this shit about a kids cartoon needing to have disabled, queer, poor, gender diverse, dogs of colour and single-parent dog families

Get a life Pleeeeezze
I wonder if they have cultural diversity in Beverley Wangs country of origin. Probably not. Much easier to complain about this crap in Australia, the Ozzies will buckle to political correctness (ever since they killed Fat Cat and friends).

Anyway, it should be an easy fix for Bluey.
Bluey and family can pull into a Petrol Station (gas station) and get served by the Indian lease holders, then drop in to their local fish and chip shop which is run by a nice Chinese family.

In the following weeks episode, there could be a jail break, which Bluey will save the day of course. This episode will introduce some more diversity from other new Australians.

:thumb:

:facepalm:
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:28 pm

Anyway, it should be an easy fix for Bluey.
Bluey and family can pull into a Petrol Station (gas station) and get served by the Indian lease holders, then drop in to their local fish and chip shop which is run by a nice Chinese family.

In the following weeks episode, there could be a jail break, which Bluey will save the day of course. This episode will introduce some more diversity from other new Australians.

:thumb:

:facepalm:
When bluey saves the fuckin’ day, will he be all touchy/feely* with the jailbreakers, and gently guide them miscrea... sorry, poor misunderstood little cherubs back into useful, diverse coexistence, jealously guarding their individuality? Or will he just go fuck ‘em up; the lesson learned a tad quicker?

*if he is touchy/feely, is he in danger of being branded a nonce?

ps. I’m two small beers in, with bugger all sleep and as much food.
Fook it! My contribution to extra-diversity....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic