What I wish for on this forum

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

What I wish for on this forum

Post by taabarang »

I hope that readers will distinguish between posts that are requesting information that is necessary to get on with things and those outlandish ones which invite sniping. I remember when: (on that other forum)

1) I wanted to buy a gas fueled oven and received a thesis on why I should use electricity instead. In spite of the fact that I have none.

2) I wanted the name of a bank that would accept US Treasury Dept. checks for retirement and that post was bombarded with tirades against checks which are old fashioned in this age of electronic direct deposit. Even though direct deposit is outlawed in the US to Cambodia. Plus even more tirades by those who knew that my embassy must know(they didn't and don't) and I should ask, as if I hadn't already.

So please, if you don't have an answer, rider pass by. People with questions are probably not as insipidly stupid as you think. They do not need your frivolous wit or irrelevant tirades. If that can be accomplished on this forum it will do wonders for those who dare an honest question as compared to the childish manner those issues were dealt with on that "other forum." By all means have your fun on other posts.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Re: What I wish for on this forum

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

Nicely worded
Using Tapatalk
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

^ preach it.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

I get where taabarang is coming from.

It's a fine line for sure.
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

while i get where you're coming from, i'd like to talk for a moment about "bumping".

threads/topics that get below about 6 on the list soon find their way to the bottom or gone altogether. it's just how psychology and forums work. every time someone posts in a topic, it "bumps" it back up to the top. as such it keeps it in the public eye longer, and increases the probability of it being noticed by a relevant target, even if the things bumping it are not relevant.

as such the sniping, inane puns, silly banter, etc actually all serve to benefit the original poster by increasing the chances that someone who has a real answer to his question/etc will come across his post after having not been on the forums for a period of time.

just some thoughts to consider. when i used to post event threads on forums for dance music i loved it when 2 members would get into a completely unrelated argument in the thread, simply because it kept me at the top of their list for a week with a lot of spectators checking back to see what had transpired... result was, more people at my event completely unrelated to the 2 bickering.
SockPuppet
Expatriate
Honduras

Post by SockPuppet »

I also get what OP's concern is, but you have to remember it's a forum filled with people full of opinions about everything (which is good and bad sometimes) - main word in that sentence being "forum".
It's just inevitable that people get involved and not always in a helpful way, all you need is to filter through all the info to get your right answer.
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Bearing in mind the concept of the Roman forum, it would hardly have been a mutual admiration society. Although I do think Digg3r is a very hansum man.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

It is not a matter of differing views it is a matter of ego indulgence without verifiable qualifications. Responses to my posts may have made them ascend vertically, but qualitatively they plummeted to an abyss of self indulgence. And for what it's worth I like Vlad's puns. Have fun, but be helpful.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

taabarang wrote:
So please, if you don't have an answer, rider pass by. People with questions are probably not as insipidly stupid as you think. They do not need your frivolous wit or irrelevant tirades.
I agree, 100%.

That's one of the main reasons we "protect" all users with less than 30 posts. Of course that's null if they start fucking around with the other members before they get to 30.

And speaking of the other board (i swear to the Gods I'm also trying to stop bringing them up, LoL)..... It comes as no shock to anyone that I was often guilty of the EXACT same scenarios you just described. I'll freely admit that.

I never had any vested interest in that site, but even when partaking, I was shocked that the power that be would allow it.

I kind of think of it like driving here vs driving in the States:

When I drive in Cambodia, fuck it, I drive on the sidewalks, go 2 kilometres on the left hand side of the road because I have a left hand turn coming up, etc.

And when I'm in the States I drive very well and follow all the rules. I even drink and drive with cans instead of bottles, so in case some idiot causes a wreck, there won't be broken glass all over the place.

But if asked which one I thought a better system, I'd vote for the West! (Again, just kind of the idea, not an exact parable or nothing.)

I also didn't like how it was ok sometimes for some people, and some people got banned over an obvious joke.

And I obviously have skin that's thicker than an elephant's, but even when I join new forums now it's nice to be able to get my feet wet before taking abuse by the regulars there.

OrangeDragon wrote:
...just some thoughts to consider

...when i used to post event threads on forums for dance music i loved it when 2 members would get into a completely unrelated argument in the thread, ...
Definitely good food for thought.

We also have to realize that many people don't see it that way, even though I agree I personally would have wanted the exact same thing.

I had a moving sale on the other forum, and probably 70% of the posts were just taking the piss.

I loved it! Kept me at the top!

But I know that some would be furious (and not just the overly sensitive)! They would have lost their cool, come on there and cursed everyone out, left and never to be seen again, and tell everyone that ever brought that place up in conversation would say, "fuck that place! ! Bunch of assclowns!"

So while yes, it's fun to be on the laughing side or to have thicker skin than most, we have to remember that most normal people that we want on here are not going to appreciate it.

After 30 posts, we should have a little bit of an idea of how people like to be talked to as well.

I also agree it's a fine line. That's why somebody (The Dragon and I) need to be the ones to decide sometimes.

People jumped on Telesales on his first post over here and gave him a shit load of negative Karma. I didn't make a big deal about it. I know he has thick skin. He also snapped right back at them, LoL.

If it had been a stranger and got that kind of welcome and I would taken a different approach completely.

So 30 posts gives us all a chance to let us know what "fair" is to you and your tone, and let's you know how others interact with people as well.

Treating people "fair" and treating people the "exact same" isn't always fair, or the same thing. (I swear that makes perfect sense, I just don't know how else to word it.)

How many times have we seen a "Hi everyone! I'm Mike from Pattaya and I was thinking of moving to Cambodia and I had a couple of questi......"

And before they can finish it's turned to, "Fuck you, Pattaya trash! We don't need you here, you dirty wife-beater-wearing muthafu....."

That should never ever happen.

If that's the kind of threads you like, well you're in luck! There already happens to be a site around here just for you, LoL...

And again, no, we are not trying to create CPN 2.0 either. I think the main thing we've been saying from the beginning is "less negativity. " That kind of sums it all up nicely.

We also just added a "Asinine Arena" section at the bottom of CEO. If you want to start a thread about finding a cat hair in your soup at a dog restaurant, go right ahead.

We were starting to get some pretty off the wall threads that I felt were going to start to get the General Chatter forum a little cluttered up. Now there is a place for off the wall threads that many of us enjoy (including me), yet twice as many roll there eyes at when they see.

We also hate deleting or locking threads, so that's maybe a good place to throw them.

So, I feel pretty strongly about the fact that the old forum was getting pretty nasty, and let's be honest, if Cambod thinks a place is "starting" to get nasty, it was probably beyond nastiness 6 months prior, LoL.

Oops, did I just out myself? :twisted:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

SockPuppet wrote: - main word in that sentence being "forum".
Forum: (noun)
1. A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

"we hope these pages act as a forum for debate"
taabarang wrote: Have fun, but be helpful.
:good:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic