16 Yo Boy Killed 13Yo Girl with a Hammer

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: 16 Yo Boy Killed 13Yo Girl with a Hammer

Post by Phnom Poon »

honor culture

monstra mihi bona!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

From the OP photo, it looks like this happened in one of those floating village communities - which are often Vietnamese migrants who have been in Cambodia for some time.
But I really don't think the ethnic origin of the kids is important. What strikes me is that the violence in adult society is obviously affecting the kids.
Kids fight all the time, but this is so extreme. The photo of the "murderer" in tears looks like he is just realising what he has done.
It's a sad state of affairs. :(
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's not particularly important which ethnic group they were from but I thought it was worth remarking on. I'm aware of many Khmer customs regarding revenge etc but don't know much about how they work in neighboring countries.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:47 am From the OP photo, it looks like this happened in one of those floating village communities - which are often Vietnamese migrants who have been in Cambodia for some time.
But I really don't think the ethnic origin of the kids is important. What strikes me is that the violence in adult society is obviously affecting the kids.
Kids fight all the time, but this is so extreme. The photo of the "murderer" in tears looks like he is just realising what he has done.
It's a sad state of affairs. :(
A while back, two of the neighbors kids (brothers, one around six years old the other around four) got into it in the dirt road outside my house. Cut a long story short, the younger kid ended up on his back while the elder boy straddled him, grabs the hair either side of his head and proceeds banging the kids head on the ground as hard as he could. I dread to think what may have happened if I hadn’t intervened, the level of violence for such a young kid still amazes me.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

John Bingham wrote:It's not particularly important which ethnic group they were from but I thought it was worth remarking on. I'm aware of many Khmer customs regarding revenge etc but don't know much about how they work in neighboring countries.
The boy is Cambodian. The girl was "Vietnamese" (albeit with a very Khmer first name).
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It was reported elsewhere that both were Vietnamese. They often use Cambodian names.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic