Nigerian Sentenced to Death in Vietnam for Trafficking 4Kgs of Meth from Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
blueman.cambodia
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Nigerian Sentenced to Death in Vietnam for Trafficking 4Kgs of Meth from Cambodia

Post by blueman.cambodia »

In February 2017, the Ministry of Public Security (the national police force) – for the first time – released a report, stating that between 2011-2016, Vietnam was holding 1,134 people on death row and that from 2013-2016, 429 people were executed by lethal injection.

The name of the lethal drugs, however, was not disclosed.

To date, death-row inmates are continued to be executed by unknown drugs and undisclosed procedures.
According to Amnesty International, Vietnam does not have a physical "death row". All prisoners in Vietnam are held mixed together. Only separation is male and female. The report also said that prisoners to be executed are not provided an execution date and only discover it when they are lead out to be executed, which could be days, weeks or months after being sentenced.
camboguy6
Expatriate

Re: Nigerian Sentenced to Death in Vietnam for Trafficking 4Kgs of Meth from Cambodia

Post by camboguy6 »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:11 am
camboguy6 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:22 am Nigerians don’t have a bad reputation. There are only racist white people who like to single out Nigerians because they are bored and like to live up to their globalization of their racist modus.
They certainly do. I know perfectly respectable Nigerians (and have done all my life) and even they easily acknowledge that Nigerians have a bad reputation. Of course there are gangsters from other African nations here, but Nigeria is populous and well represented in the prisons of SE Asia.
A reputation is an ‘opinion’ one has about someone. You are white and racist so your opinion of Nigerians is racist. What your supposed Nigerian friend said is irrelevant because he is not here. Who says Nigerians have a bad reputation, white people do. I never said Nigerians have a bad rep because I don’t see them in a negative light. It’s Asians and white people who talk down to Nigerians, black people and anyone who threatens their racist demeanor.

Besides being a Google reporter, where are your facts about the jails? Perhaps a friend told you?
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ergosemper »

camboguy6 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:09 am
camboguy6 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:22 am Nigerians don’t have a bad reputation. There are only racist white people who like to single out Nigerians because they are bored and like to live up to their globalization of their racist modus.
They certainly do. I know perfectly respectable Nigerians (and have done all my life) and even they easily acknowledge that Nigerians have a bad reputation. Of course there are gangsters from other African nations here, but Nigeria is populous and well represented in the prisons of SE Asia.
A reputation is an ‘opinion’ one has about someone. You are white and racist so your opinion of Nigerians is racist. What your supposed Nigerian friend said is irrelevant because he is not here. Who says Nigerians have a bad reputation, white people do. I never said Nigerians have a bad rep because I don’t see them in a negative light. It’s Asians and white people who talk down to Nigerians, black people and anyone who threatens their racist demeanor.

Besides being a Google reporter, where are your facts about the jails? Perhaps a friend told you?
That's because Nigerians like you think it is perfectly OK to flood the world with scams and drugs and "black dollars". My gmail's spam folder is constantly full of emails from 419 advanced fee scammers offering "business" proposals and dodgy deals.

You also seem to live in a denial mode, stubbornly ignoring the fact that the preponderance of Nigerians in prisons here and beyond is a well-established notoriety they are associated with. They simply are criminally predisposed. Just go to Nairaland's travel forums and read how they all want to "hustle" some mugus and magas. Observe how other commenting members on that forum find it perfectly normal to offer advice about "hustling" and even discuss country-by-country opportunities (i.e. where best to steal/scam/con or find mules).

I am Asian and I am ALWAYS on alert mode when approached by someone from Nigeria. It's just the reality of things. I don't want to spend decades in Prey Sar for making the mistake of a lifetime.

When I see a Nigerian on a Harley or a Benz, my first thought is guess how it was paid for.
snoink
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by snoink »

People EARN their reputation, whether they like it or not. This doesn't need to be explained to a grown man. You know damn well what reputation Nigerians have on the world stage. Using tired media talking points about whites by default being racist against blacks, and implying blacks are incapable of racism against anyone else is ABSURD, at best. Africa consists of about fifty countries--is that because they all see eye to eye?
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

I actually originally logged in to rate ergo and snoik (incidently, how do we cash those in?), but while I'm here I can attest to reciprocal racism from the Africans, on numerous occasions - I don't even know what a "bumbaclot" is - and only twice have actually felt comfortable. It could be paranoia on both sides, and I am not totally racist, with a diverse race of friends, hence I will occasionally find myself resembling a bar beacon, usually just for one.
As for the reputation of (mainly) Nigerians, I agree (for what it's worth) that it is warranted, just as the much as the ruthless slimy scheming reputation of the predominantly (but not limited to) white Wall St high-end hedge funds, whom target, and are permitted to do so, vulnerable corporations, such as GameStop, in an alleged short-selling scheme to drive their victims into bankruptcy. As the stock price of their prey goes to nearly zero, the hedge fund honchos could earn multimillions—or billions of dollars–in profits off of the companies closing their doors and laying off thousands of employees into the worst job market in modern history. Then there's the Church.
Is this thread getting out-of-control, perhaps?
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Artisan
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Artisan »

pebbles&nightsky
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Why do you hate white people ?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

What my supposed Nigerian friend said? That was a plural, read back on it again. I'm racist because I pointed out a truth about Nigerians? Are Nigerians a race now?

Here's an article written by a Nigerian, who must also be racist.
Reports that about 16,500 Nigerians are currently in prisons outside the shores of the country, most of them on drug-related charges, is worrisome. More depressing is that the Legal Defence and Assistance Project (LEDAP), a human rights organisation, has put the number on death row in prisons across Asian countries at about 300.
https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2 ... n-prisons/

Another article written by a Nigerian racist.
One out of every five Nigerians living in Thailand is serving a jail term for drug related offences, Nigerian Ambassador to Thailand, Ambassador Chudi Okafor, has said.

Okafor in an interview on Tuesday said out of the 2000 Nigerians living in Thailand, 400 are serving various jail terms.
http://www.nigerianmonitor.com/shocking ... e-in-jail/
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Ti_Rod
Tourist

Post by Ti_Rod »

My only experience of Nigerians are hard working people with a strong opinion of self. The only person I know who finished his PhD on time in my group was a Nigerian, hehe and he was a nice guy as well.

Being the most populous country in Africa is always going to work against you just like Being a North American perhaps or German? People don't really have an opinion on being Danish

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

And another Nigerian sentenced to death in Vietnam:
A Nigerian man was sentenced to death Tuesday for smuggling nearly six kilos of methamphetamine from Cambodia to Vietnam.
Theophilus Ugwu, 23, was charged with "illegal trafficking of narcotic substances" by the People's Court of Tay Ninh, Thanh Nien newspaper reported.

On March 8 last year, police found Ugwu transporting 12 bags containing meth from Cambodia to Vietnam in Tay Ninh's Ben Cau District. The meth weighed around 5.92 kilograms.
https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/niger ... 84323.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic