Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Information on Coronavirus in Cambodia from 8 March 2020 (Latest Updates)

Post by AndyKK »

PM HE expresses his annoyance over his leaked voice message

The unauthorised leak of Prime Minister HE’s voice message by a member of the Cabinet’s Permanent Committee was the root cause of the panic buying crush this evening.
“I apologize, the matter has not been announced officially, however my voice (audio voice) has been leaked due to the person’s lack of responsibility in the government and party. This person will be punished later on when found,” he said.

The Premier’s voice message went viral just after 5pm, causing mobs to throng on supermarkets, wet markets, convenience stores, grocery stores and even baby care outlets to stock up on essentials.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50838946/p ... e-message/
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Gotta love it. What did they think would happen Also love how KT keeps changing their headline from "to be placed" to "could be placed". For sure if they test enough there will be a spike in cases in 10+ days. At times like these a western democracy comes in handy...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Where the hell do you find out what your "geographical" area is? I know this place has "villages" but who knows where they start or end?
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

So, the big man is pissed off his voice got leaked. But the question remains: when exactly were they planning on announcing this? It took hours after the leak for the information to finally be released, so they were definitely caught off guard. Was it really meant to kick in at midnight last night? Is it possible the leak and panic caused it to be brought forward/immediate? Pretty sure all the lockdowns in Australia came with 24 hours' notice, or more. I feel like whoever leaked it fucked us all over.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Individual sports activities within the geography of the village where they live, avoiding gatherings of more than two (2) people

What's this all about? You can go for a walk around the village? (wherever that is)
Josideb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Josideb »

Situation was a shitshow last night. Khmer people and panic does not go well together. Lucky sold out of fresh food and markets were jam packed
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:08 am But the question remains: when exactly were they planning on announcing this?
. . .
Is it possible the leak and panic caused it to be brought forward/immediate?
i don't think so, if they'd planned to give notice
they would have hurriedly announced that everyone still had 48 hours or whatever, after the leak

no, they clearly intended to just impose this by surprise in the dead of night
like some kind of military attack

monstra mihi bona!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Iron Grandpa spoke to the nation this morning, expressing his anger about yesterday's irresponsible behavior by his 'grandchildren'. Sitting together outside, drinking, singing, ... Alcohol sales will banned nationwide now as a result of this he announced.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Phnom Poon wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:12 am
timmydownawell wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:08 am But the question remains: when exactly were they planning on announcing this?
. . .
Is it possible the leak and panic caused it to be brought forward/immediate?
i don't think so, if they'd planned to give notice
they would have hurriedly announced that everyone still had 48 hours or whatever, after the leak

no, they clearly intended to just impose this by surprise in the dead of night
like some kind of military attack
Yeah well that's the only other option. I actually did stock up a little on the weekend just in case, but only enough for a few days. Need to buy breakfasty stuff though: eggs, bread, instant oats. I normally have brekkie out so I don't have anything like that.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

This lockdown business has me thinking. The last two weeks of 8pm to 5am curfew is one thing, and in the suburbs quite a normality, 10pm the apartment block are in the land of nod. The people who do work (sometime) those hours wouldn't effect them, but I don't think it would anyway because people are allowed to go to work, for example, the owner driver is more likely to be out just turned five, back at ten, out at three back at five. Tuk tuk driver next out at six, you know these drivers could be anytime arriving back. A few young ladies have stalls along the street, one selling eggs, the other, cold drinks along with bits of this and that, her husband works on the rough land behind her stall fixing mini-buses. The police man next door it doesn't effect, neither the Chinese construction man who is now having three days off, and I am sure he will be back to work has normal working his shifts. So how effective is the lockdown, and who will it effect mainly. Has for myself, I have been staying at home mainly, with a more rare visit to the supermarket or bakery, due to having food delivery. But, now I understand the banks will be closed, that I think was an hasty move too suddenly, due to people needing money to buy their food and goods. Too be honest I can only see this lockdown having effect on barrang retirees. Mostly nothing of change for normal folk going about their daily business.
Last edited by AndyKK on Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic