Locked Down, Locked Out, Locked In: A Sihanoukville Quarantine Experience

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

from FB today
I'm a Norwegian citizen. Living in Sihanoukville. I have lived in Cambodia for about 14 years. On 23 March a woman in my apartment building in Sihanoukville tested positive for Covid. The day after 24.3 all building was testet and I was the only other positive. I was taken 27.3 at 11pm to a Guverment hotel and locked in a small room. No information given about anything. I also tested positive on 26.3 and 30.3. On 3.4 I tested negative and on 7.4 I tested negative. No information was given before 9.4. by hospital staff at hotel. I had 2 negative tests and l would be moved to Queenco Hotel. Being locked up in a small room with bar's in front of the window for 13 days I was happy to leave.

Expecting I didn't have to pay anything. Saturday morning 10.4 I asked reception at Queenco if Guverment is paying for the stay. They will let me know. I ask Sunday and they will let me know. Today Monday morning they said it will cost me 90 dollar a night total 1260 dollar . I have a big apartment I can stay in. I also told them I will leave 12. Please call the Police. They called police a couple of time and then they said police will come. Immigration Police came in afternoon and only says that I will be deported from Cambodia if I don't follow rules. My next test will be on 21st April. With 3 days wait for results I will have to stay 17 days then and pay 1530 dollar. I should get a number to Hospital boss from the hotel staff and talk to him, police man told me. But hotel manager says that he can not give me his number. This evening I got my discharge form from hospital. It's says Physician Advice: Self quarantine 14 days from 9th. April. - Stay at home!!! Who would ever want to go and get tested if it cost you 1530 dollar? And I don't know if they will come with other changes.

What can I do?

dam, makes ya consider if as a Barang you would desire to be tested rather than just staying home unless ur at deaths door.
worrisome part is he had no choice to be tested as they tested everyone in his building cause of one other positive>

I feel for you all that have apts in buildings in PP or elsewhere, this could happen to you>>>

https://www.facebook.com/groups/333901840112789/
the full exchange...

one mods reply:

A comment for everyone, since anyone at any time can find themselves in a situation like Odd Edvin Engeland.
As a lawyer, I recommend refusing to pay. To the threat to claim money through the court, to answer that it is their right, but you will not pay anything voluntarily.

Unfortunately, Odd Edvin Engeland made a number of tactical mistakes, in fact, voluntarily agreeing to the actions performed on him. But, since methods of psychological pressure were applied to him, and the actions of officials have a lot of procedural violations, the refusal to pay for imposed services is quite legitimate.

Until representatives of the authorities and other officials confirm their powers and disclose their names and titles, this is only a group of unidentified persons posing as someone. Therefore, be sure to write down their names, ID numbers, photograph their faces. If you don't understand what they are saying, ask for an interpreter.

Have with you the contacts of the nearest consular departments of your states, even if they are not represented in Cambodia, as well as the contacts of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of your states. Inform them immediately of the incident. The purpose of your appeal is not to provide immediate assistance, but to inform that a group of those very unidentified persons posing as representatives of local authorities are taking you away in an unknown direction under threat of violence. You reasonably assume that your life and health are in danger. At least in the event of your disappearance without a trace, these measures will facilitate the search.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Sihanoukville :
There are worse things than being locked in your apartment for 14 days due to a local coronavirus outbreak, like being locked out of your apartment and locked up elsewhere.

After a case of Covid-19 in his apartment block in Sihanoukville, a expat foreign man was also tested positive, and was moved to the hospital. However, when he finally tested negative twice in a week, instead of being allowed to go home, he was sent to a quarantine hotel which charged him $90 a night.
The longterm expat foreigner says that he was held in a Sihnaoukville hotel room at US$90 a day, despite the fact that he has a perfectly good apartment. He was getting the runaround by the hotel and the authorities, who would not let him go home. He now has a letter of written permission to quarantine at home, which is dated from 9 April, and a bill for $1,530.

This is his message posted on social media yesterday:
I'm a Norwegian citizen. Living in Sihanoukville. I have lived in Cambodia for about 14 years. On 23 March a woman in my apartment building in Sihanoukville tested positive for Covid. The day after 24.3 all building was testet and I was the only other positive. I was taken 27.3 at 11pm to a Guverment hotel and locked in a small room. No information given about anything.
I also tested positive on 26.3 and 30.3. On 3.4 I tested negative and on 7.4 I tested negative. No information was given before 9.4. by hospital staff at hotel. I had 2 negative tests and l would be moved to Queenco Hotel. Being locked up in a small room with bar's in front of the window for 13 days I was happy to leave.
Expecting I didn't have to pay anything. Saturday morning 10.4 I asked reception at Queenco if Guverment is paying for the stay. They will let me know. I ask Sunday and they will let me know. Today Monday morning they said it will cost me 90 dollar a night total 1260 dollar . I have a big apartment I can stay in. I also told them I will leave 12. Please call the Police. They called police a couple of time and then they said police will come. Immigration Police came in afternoon and only says that I will be deported from Cambodia if I don't follow rules.
My next test will be on 21st April. With 3 days wait for results I will have to stay 17 days then and pay 1530 dollar. I should get a number to Hospital boss from the hotel staff and talk to him, police man told me. But hotel manager says that he can not give me his number. This evening I got my discharge form from hospital. It's says Physician Advice: Self quarantine 14 days from 9th. April. - Stay at home!!!

Who would ever want to go and get tested if it cost you 1530 dollar? And I don't know if they will come with other changes.
What can I do?
Last edited by CEOCambodiaNews on Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Locked Down, Locked Out, Locked In: A Sihanoukville Quarantine Experience

Post by atst »

Bloody hell, it's mentally exhausting enough being in quarantine in a nice hotel with good food, but this sounds horrifying
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Saw that this morning. Seems like they sort of fleeced him, or assumed he would want to be in a hotel like new arrivals.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

Lucky for me im staying in a homestay here we have about 15 people. about 3 foreigners, and about 12 locals, most of whom i never see, now ill be thinking twice about moving to a build building where everyone gets tested.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I too read this article first on facebook, and you can understand any foreigner's apprehension to seek any official aid or treatment if they fall ill, even knowing that is the correct thing to do in the situation, to get the professional help and treatment for oneself, but because of the nature of the possible illness, to protect the other people of the community around yourself.
But, by doing the right thing, what is legal and the moral, being the correct thing to do, go seek firstly the test, then treatment if positive results, by following the advice and law set by the country, to help curb and prevent the spread of covid19. Although it was worded by the premier that all foreigners living in the country, the covid19 treatment would be given to them free of charge.
Regarding what is considered treatment and what is free for the foreigners, or what they consider is to be paid for, would be made clearer to everyone if there was a written official guideline of procedures to make clear in the situation that anyone would or may find themselves in.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:16 pm Although it was worded by the premier that all foreigners living in the country, the covid19 treatment would be given to them free of charge.
Regarding what is considered treatment and what is free for the foreigners, or what they consider is to be paid for, would be made clearer to everyone if there was a written official guideline of procedures to make clear in the situation that anyone would or may find themselves in.
Yes, good points there Andy..clarification may be needed.

https://cambodianess.com/article/hun-se ... -of-charge
This original news item from a year ago refers to 'treatment for coronavirus'. Now, to my mind that means treatment by a doctor and most likely in a hospital...but does that include if you are in a quarantine centre or hotel because you tested positive to covid but may not necessarily have symptoms or need any treatment? That's the issue in this story I think and also, did he need to go back into quarantine..

Albeit, it was also stated in that article:
“I want to declare that we [Cambodia] are poor but we have big mind. Whoever becomes infected with the virus on our land, we will cover the expenses,”
which has broader meaning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:46 pm from FB today
I'm a Norwegian citizen....

What can I do?

one mods reply: (presumably a Facebook Mod, not CEO)

A comment for everyone, since anyone at any time can find themselves in a situation like Odd Edvin Engeland.
As a lawyer, I recommend refusing to pay. To the threat to claim money through the court, to answer that it is their right, but you will not pay anything voluntarily.

Unfortunately, Odd Edvin Engeland made a number of tactical mistakes, in fact, voluntarily agreeing to the actions performed on him. But, since methods of psychological pressure were applied to him, and the actions of officials have a lot of procedural violations, the refusal to pay for imposed services is quite legitimate.

Until representatives of the authorities and other officials confirm their powers and disclose their names and titles, this is only a group of unidentified persons posing as someone. Therefore, be sure to write down their names, ID numbers, photograph their faces. If you don't understand what they are saying, ask for an interpreter.

Have with you the contacts of the nearest consular departments of your states, even if they are not represented in Cambodia, as well as the contacts of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of your states. Inform them immediately of the incident. The purpose of your appeal is not to provide immediate assistance, but to inform that a group of those very unidentified persons posing as representatives of local authorities are taking you away in an unknown direction under threat of violence. You reasonably assume that your life and health are in danger. At least in the event of your disappearance without a trace, these measures will facilitate the search.
My guess is that this advice is from a lawyer with very little on-the-ground experience in Cambodia.
Sure - you have to show you won't be rumbled, but I doubt this rather hysterical approach would help the situation.
??
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

The purpose of your appeal is not to provide immediate assistance, but to inform that a group of those very unidentified persons posing as representatives of local authorities are taking you away in an unknown direction under threat of violence. You reasonably assume that your life and health are in danger. At least in the event of your disappearance without a trace, these measures will facilitate the search.
^ The FB commenter here is on another planet, janet. This is not Central America. :rambo:

The OP was sent to a hotel instead of being sent home. The guy is naturally pissed off because that will cost him, and the hotel and the guards are thieves, but we are not talking about " disappearance without a trace", or "life and health in danger", just some greedy m'fkers milking the system.

He is probably home already since there has been a bit of a fuss about this. It'd be good to have an update to know how things turned out. :popcorn:
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Most foreigners in Cambodia seem to fall into the following categories-

Tourist. (Tourist Visa)
Business traveller, business owner, employee in Cambodia. (Business visa/work permit)
Retired? (Retirement visa)

There’s little provision for residents or non nationals with families here.

It would not surprise me in the least if the Cambodian authorities are simply unable to properly pigeon hole a foreigner who is here for other purposes, such as having a family here, but working elsewhere abroad. And if in doubt, treat them the same as any travelling foreigner- quarantine in a hotel. A one size fits all approach that will work in the majority of cases, but will be wrong for a small minority.
It’s easy to protest in hindsight, but given what is written on that medical letter, it would seem appropriate to mildly protest until heard (or run out of breath).

That said, the advice from the foreign offices of developed countries, often generic, fails to appreciate some major differences, such as thinking that Cambodia, or any foreign country, works the same as your own.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic