In a turnaround, China is starting to lose the COVID Cold War

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: In a turnaround, China is starting to lose the COVID Cold War

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Phnom Poon wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:59 pm of course there's a whole lot of bias in any 'news'
but look at the facts and arguments, and debate
Of course... but there is a fundamental difference between news and propaganda and it is important to distinguish one from another.

As for the debate, of course too.

This article gives an overwhelmingly negative prognosis for China.
Sure, they have problems ahead, but i do not believe anything other than that their boom, and their outpacing the West, will continue unabated.

Discipline (self, and society), long term vision and planning, strong sense of destiny (it counts, and ours is out the window), continued free access to the West's IP and higher education handed to them on a platter (by us). national courage (we won't even take more than a dozen casualties in any conflict these days, that counts too), preparedness of citizens to sacrifice "every individual's God Given rights" for the national interest (one of our strengths is also the big worm in our system).
etc

The West has been calling out China's inherent faults all my lifetime - and they have been wrong about nearly EVERYthing to do its trajectory - thus far anyway.
I wish i could feel as superior, and be as dismissive, as this woman is toward China.

PS, lol. Do you really reckon the patriotic denizens of western democracy will pay more for the crap consumer plastic shite they love so much - and stop demanding to buy it 3c cheaper from China?
I wish i could see that.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Do you really reckon the patriotic denizens of western democracy will pay more for the crap consumer plastic shite they love so much - and stop demanding to buy it 3c cheaper from China?
Given that China has become a middleman, farming out most of the clothing and footwear to 3rd countries like Bangladesh and Cambodia, I highly doubt there will be any cost increase by replacing these imports.
Especially in light of the determined efforts to drive down the USD.
The trade barriers are already up.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:03 pm Do you really reckon the patriotic denizens of western democracy will pay more for the crap consumer plastic shite they love so much - and stop demanding to buy it 3c cheaper from China?
I wish i could see that.
I really do wish i could see that.
So...

Whenever a new edition of a certain telephone brand comes out, ******, there is a flurry of starry-eyed wonder. but never a whisper about anything other than how flash it is.
I go - Well my gov (and our version of the ***), and those of our 4 closest allies, have declared this telephone brand is not in the national interest.
So that's an easy one. If the rubber ever hits the flocking road it is right here.

But after that it is not so easy, you probably need to have some determination.
** I take your very good point about clothes and footwear Nemo, but that's the easy end of the range.

I have to admit, i am still every day deeply in love with my macbook. blush. But i will have to replace it within a couple of years as the battery starts to decline. and the screen.
I am pretty determined to find an alternative that is not so much, Made in *****.

Starting my research... this is an in-depth look at the alternatives from a manufacturers point of view.
It gives detailed and seemingly reliable info on all the issues around "other" asian alternatives for manufacturing.
Not a bad start, a bit of a hardcore reality check is always good.

TITOMA - design for manufacturing asia
Electronics not made in China - Top 5 alternatives.
https://titoma.com/blog/electronic-manu ... ternatives
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

The author missed, I believe, an important factor in his article.

Food security.

An article popped up on my news feed a few days ago now and it immediately caught my eye. It was about Chinese corn imports and how China is now (or set to become) the worlds largest corn importer. The article went on to talk about how the corn is used for pig feed and that due to polluted farmland China simply cannot grow enough to supply its domestic market.
The article was from an agricultural site, from what I recall, and there wasn't even a whiff of politics in it. It was simply looking at booming exports of corn to China and a few reasons why (all agriculturally related.)
So, curiosity tweaked, I had a quick search for Chinese investments in foreign farmland. And it would seem they are on a buying spree.

With this HK, the Uighur "re-education camps", the India-China skirmishes at the Ladakh LoC and everything in the OPs article, internally, China has it's hands full. And if Emperor Xi is perceived to have lost the "mandate of heaven" then .. well. Maybe taking Taiwan will be used to show that he hasn't.
The thread about the Russia-Ukraine eastern border discussed how troop build-ups by the Russians could be a precursor to military action and China is doing exactly the same with increased incursions into Taiwanese controlled air/water. China losing the COVID cold war is just another indicator of direction things may be moving in.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

I copied and pasted this last year, can't remember where I got it from ?

Source: Michael Snyde
In the near future, China will employ millions of American workers and dominate thousands of small communities all over the United States. Chinese acquisition of US businesses set a new all-time record last year, and it is on pace to shatter that record this year.
The Smithfield Foods acquisition is an example. Smithfield Foods is the largest pork producer and processor in the world. It has facilities in 26 US states, and it employs tens of thousands of Americans. It directly owns 460 farms and has contracts with approximately 2,100 others. But now a Chinese company has bought it for $ 4.7 billion, and that means that the Chinese will now be the most important employer in dozens of rural communities all over America.
Thanks in part to our massively bloated trade deficit with China, the Chinese have trillions of dollars to spend. They are only just starting to exercise their economic muscle.
It is important to keep in mind that there is often not much of a difference between "the Chinese government" and "Chinese corporations". In 2011, 43 percent of all profits in China were produced by companies where the Chinese government had a controlling interest.
Last year a Chinese company spent $ 2.6 billion to purchase AMC entertainment - one of the largest movie theater chains in the United States. Chinese companies control more movie ticket sales than anyone else in the world.
But China is not just relying on acquisitions to expand its economic power.
"Economic beachheads" are being established all over America. For example, Golden Dragon Precise Copper Tube Group, Inc. recently broke ground on a $100 million plant in Thomasville, Alabama. Many of the residents of Thomasville, Alabama will be glad to have jobs, but it will also become yet another community that will now be heavily dependent on communist China.
And guess where else Chinese companies are putting down roots? Detroit. Chinese-owned companies are investing in American businesses and new vehicle technology, selling everything from seat belts to shock absorbers in retail stores, and hiring experienced engineers and designers in an effort to soak up the talent and expertise of domestic automakers and their suppliers.
If you recently purchased an "American-made" vehicle, there is a really good chance that it has a number of Chinese parts in it. Industry analysts are hard-pressed to put a number on the Chinese suppliers operating in the United States.
China seems particularly interested in acquiring energy resources in the United States.
For example, China is actually mining for coal in the mountains of Tennessee. Guizhou Gouchuang Energy Holdings Group spent 616 million dollars to acquire Triple H Coal Co. in Jacksboro, Tennessee.
At the time, that acquisition really didn't make much news, but now a group of conservatives in Tennessee is trying to stop the Chinese from blowing up their mountains and taking their coal.
And pretty soon China may want to build entire cities in the United States just like they have been doing in other countries. Right now China is actually building a city larger than Manhattan just outside Minsk, the capital of Belarus.
Are you starting to get the picture?
China is on the rise. If you doubt this, just read the following:
# When you total up all imports and exports, China is now the number one trading nation on the entire planet.
# Overall, the US has run a trade deficit with China over the past decade that comes to more than 2.3 trillion dollars.
# China has more foreign currency reserves than anyone else on the planet.
# China now has the largest new car market in the entire world.
# China now produces more than twice as many automobiles as the United States does.
# After being bailed out by US taxpayers, GM is involved in 11 joint ventures with Chinese companies.
# China is the number one gold producer in the world.
# The uniforms for the US Olympic team were made in China.
# 85% of all artificial Christmas trees the world over are made in China.
# The new World Trade Center tower in New York includesglass imported from China.
# China now consumes more energy than the United States does.
# China is now in aggregate the leading manufacturer of goods in the entire world.
# China uses more cement than the rest of the world combined.
# China is now the number one producer of wind and solar power on the entire globe.
# China produces 3 times as much coal and 11 times as much steel as the United States does.
# China produces more than 90 percent of the global supply of rare earth elements.
# China is now the number one supplier of components that are critical to the operation of any national defense system.
# In published scientific research articles, China is expected to become number one in the world very shortly.
And what we have seen so far may just be the tip of the iceberg.
For now, I will just leave you with one piece of advice -
Learn to speak Chinese.
You are going to need it.
snoink
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by snoink »

Slow down, take a breathe.

China is a Cancer.

This hot-headed Corona scam didn't win them any friends.

Biggest isn't always best. I mean are fucking monster-truck rallies and 75% off MEGA blow-out warehouse liquidations as good as TV sed they are? Or a big ass bucket a bad chicken?

Personally I don't trust their fucking gold pandas (bullion) to save my life and will be damned handing over my dollars for it, which oh by the way still floors the fucking renminbi good luck with that!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:58 am I copied and pasted this last year, can't remember where I got it from ?

Source: Michael Snyde
In the near future, China will employ millions of American workers and dominate . . . .
It seems that that has been printed and reprinted many times over the years. The earliest version that I can find is from January 2014.
http://enmiopinionlazarorgonzalez.blogspot.com/2014/01/

That 'original' version is credited to Carlos Bringuier, a Cuban exile, who is known for his connection to Lee Harvey Oswald.

Not that it matters.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

To figure the views of the news, just look for the whos of the whos
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

China has some pretty good strategists and is obsessed with "face" and how it's perceived. What's a move it could make to get back ahead of this battle?

I'm thinking a more effective, easily mass produced vaccine could win it back a lot of international favor and at the same time get its borders opened again quickly.

Time is running out fast though, with the US closing in on its own domestic vaccination goals and vaccine diplomacy on the horizon.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic