Cancel Culture

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Cancel Culture

Post by nerdlinger »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:39 am I vote to cancel anyone who uses the term woke in an adult conversation about anything. In fact, it should be done in the same way as they used to cancel tickets. Pounded with a decent rubber stamp!
There you go. My contribution to tolerance.
“Woke” reminds me of “Politically correct” in that it had a period of about 2 months when it was first coined where it was actually used by the people advocating it, before being seized by its opponents as a pejorative.

I guess that means it’s another 30 years before we get a new neutral word to describe the concept of making a conscious effort to be less of an asshole to marginalised people.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

nerdlinger wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:48 am
Freightdog wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:39 am I vote to cancel anyone who uses the term woke in an adult conversation about anything. In fact, it should be done in the same way as they used to cancel tickets. Pounded with a decent rubber stamp!
“Woke” reminds me of “Politically correct” in that it had a period of about 2 months when it was first coined where it was actually used by the people advocating it, before being seized by its opponents as a pejorative.

I guess that means it’s another 30 years before we get a new neutral word to describe the concept of making a conscious effort to be less of an asshole to marginalised people.
Oddly enough, or not, politically correct is the other term now becoming difficult in daily use. There are two particularly difficult people that I try to avoid engaging in conversation.
One uses woke as if it’s a form of punctuation
The other seems to have enshrined the concept of being politically correct in law, and wraps everything up in it.

Neither one can have a reasonable conversation over a beer without irritating the crap out of me.

Remember Robert Shaw’s character, Quint, dragging his finger nails down a blackboard*? That’s moved down the list of pet hates a long long way.

*can we say blackboard anymore?
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:00 am
nerdlinger wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:48 am

Oddly enough, or not, politically correct is the other term now becoming difficult in daily use. There are two particularly difficult people that I try to avoid engaging in conversation.
One uses woke as if it’s a form of punctuation
The other seems to have enshrined the concept of being politically correct in law, and wraps everything up in it.

Neither one can have a reasonable conversation over a beer without irritating the crap out of me.

Remember Robert Shaw’s character, Quint, dragging his finger nails down a blackboard*? That’s moved down the list of pet hates a long long way.

*can we say blackboard anymore?
Oh, to be clear, what I meant by the above is that the phrase “politically correct” hasn’t been used by someone sincerely advocating its principles for 30 years. Likewise I haven’t seen the word “woke” used by the people it describes for at least six months now. If I see someone use the word “woke” in 2021 I can guess immediately where their sentiments lie.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

An NHS trust is to use "gender inclusive language" for its maternity services, including terms such as "chestfeeding" and "birthing parent".
Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals Trust is thought to be first in the UK to adopt the language in its internal communications and meetings.
The trust said it recognised "challenges" gender identity can have on pregnancy, birth and feeding.
But a campaigner said it was "trying to control the language of others".
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

And, for anyone who may have been offended, I believe @Freightdog was referring to a 'chalkboard'.

:thumb:
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I think the term Salt and Pepper is prerogative.
From now on could you please refer to my beard as being "non-binary" or "transitional".
thanks
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:36 am An NHS trust is to use "gender inclusive language" for its maternity services, including terms such as "chestfeeding" and "birthing parent".
Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals Trust is thought to be first in the UK to adopt the language in its internal communications and meetings.
The trust said it recognised "challenges" gender identity can have on pregnancy, birth and feeding.
But a campaigner said it was "trying to control the language of others".
I had a little look for this and found some details missing from the outrage rags:
gender-neutral terms will not completely replace gendered language. Instead, staff have simply been advised to use whatever language appeals to the individual’s identity when in a one-to-one basis
~
When caring for cis women it is good practice to use terminology that is meaningful and appropriate to the individual; this may include terms such as woman, mother or breastfeeding,” reads one part of the report.

For transgender parents, the term ‘breastfeeding’ could add to the gender dysphoria they already feel. Research shows that how we are described by others has an enormous impact on our health and wellbeing, as well as creating inclusivity and building community. It also influences how likely we are to access healthcare when necessary.
So there we have it. Nobody’s forbidding anyone to say “breastfeeding” to a woman, they’re just giving advice on how to be nice to someone who’s different from you. But of course concepts like empathy towards people different to us doesn’t make as many clicks as “language nazis are coming”.

Side note: how is the story about “cancel culture” anyway? Who is it that’s been cancelled?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

A couple of thoughts from Noam Chomsky - a free speech absolutist
"if you are not in favour of speech that you hate, you are not really in favour of free speech at all" (or similar)

He also said PC was the molehill attacked by the Right in their fury at the tearing down of the mountains that are racism, sexism and environmental ignorance etc.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:30 am I think the term Salt and Pepper is prerogative.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

If somebody told me they were offended by the terms Breast feeding or pregnant women and wanted me to use the terms "chest feeding' or "birthing parent" I would not even debate with them. They are a tiny tiny minority who seem to have a lot of social media clout which is why JK Rowling was threatened online with rape and murder for refusing to bow down . As for who is being cancelled you can be sure that in the not too distant future some unfortunate person working for the NHS in Brighton will be targeted for not bowing down to the thought police.

The penis will be next, i am sure there are people who feel offended with that word how about we use the term "Urine director" so as not to cause them to feel threatened. This whole language thing is a farce.

Four legs good 2 legs bad or is it the other way round i forget.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic