Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Matthew Robinson
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Information on Coronavirus in Cambodia from 8 March 2020 (Latest Updates)

Post by Matthew Robinson »

So here's something new! The Government allows unrestricted travel between two provinces only, Phnom Penh and Kandal, treating it as one province, right? But now I know that people from Phnom Penh who arrive in a certain village (and possibly villages) in Kandal (perhaps to be with their families for KNY) are immediately quarantined in the properties in which they arrived, together with all its inhabitants, whether or not anyone in that house displays any symptoms, has normal temperatures, and does not report feeling unwell. I have a video of the police (apparently) putting tape all the way round one such house.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

some areas have they're own policies
check with the sangkat before traveling

monstra mihi bona!
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Matthew Robinson wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:32 pm So here's something new! The Government allows unrestricted travel between two provinces only, Phnom Penh and Kandal, treating it as one province, right? But now I know that people from Phnom Penh who arrive in a certain village (and possibly villages) in Kandal (perhaps to be with their families for KNY) are immediately quarantined in the properties in which they arrived, together with all its inhabitants, whether or not anyone in that house displays any symptoms, has normal temperatures, and does not report feeling unwell. I have a video of the police (apparently) putting tape all the way round one such house.
Phnom Penh is not a province. :beer3:
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

There’s good reason Khmers don’t want to go to a government quarantine facility. It’s not like foreigners going to a cushy hotel room for 14 days, with a bed, linens, rice and diet of chicken feet and at least 2 bottles of water daily.

They go into a room. With nothing inside. No food, no water, no clothes, nothing. Unless their family sends them food and water, clothes every day ... an average person can go without water for 3 days, without food for 30 days.

Hospital masks are designed to protect against more than small particles that N95 masks filter out. They protect against fluid splashes, etc.

Double masking, N95 mask then a hospital mask on top, face shield, and gloves are standard wear for hospitals (western). With gown, foot coverings, for virus patients, and PAPR or HALO for aerosolizing procedures. With this level of protection, few hospital workers get the virus by working in the hospitals. Almost all got the virus by community spread.

Cambodia needs everyone to get a proven vaccine. Or else it will become a continuing reservoir for the virus (and possibly banned by western nations). Instead it’s part of massive Phase 2 - Phase 3 clinical trial being conducted by their good friends. This is just my opinion.

Please be safe out there.
Matthew Robinson
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Matthew Robinson »

"Phnom Penh is not a province."

Oh FGS! Stick to the point and stop your pedantry. "The capital Phnom Penh is not a province but an 'autonomous municipality', equivalent to a province governmentally and administered at the same level as the other 24 provinces."
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:05 pm There’s good reason Khmers don’t want to go to a government quarantine facility. It’s not like foreigners going to a cushy hotel room for 14 days, with a bed, linens, rice and diet of chicken feet and at least 2 bottles of water daily.
I think you're talking about foreigners incoming to the kingdom.

As I understand it, foreigner expats living here long term since March last year will get free government treatment for covid infection. I gather serious cases will go to the khmer soviet friendship hospital or for other quarantine cases the Great Duke hotel which has been converted to a quarantine centre and I read recently, a convention centre in Koh Pich is being converted to another quarantine centre.

Happy to be corrected on any of that but I'd say doesn't sound like it will be so 'cushy' for any expat that contracts covid here. And, despite myself having expat health insurance covering covid, it seems the private hospitals here won't accept you due to government direction and the chances of repatriation to a thai hospital are probably slim.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

a convention centre in Koh Pich is being converted to another quarantine centre.
It is a field hospital with 5000 beds. Not a quarantine center.
Started provisioning yesterday.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

nemo wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:51 pm
a convention centre in Koh Pich is being converted to another quarantine centre.
Missus and I been laughing at this if I was in there and started snoring 1000 people would complain and I'd be out in the car park.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Here it is:

You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:24 am
Here it is:

Here it was:

Not much progress....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic