Cambodia's Quarantine and Lockdown Escapees (Regular Updates)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia's Quarantine and Lockdown Escapees (Regular Updates)

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

HE threatens to jail Covid rule-breakers
Cambodian civil servants told not getting vaccinated could be a firing offence
published : 10 Apr 2021 at 17:35

PHNOM PENH: Cambodian Prime Minister HE threatened quarantine-breakers with jail time on Saturday and warned civil servants they could lose their jobs if they go unvaccinated, as the country grapples with a growing coronavirus caseload.

In the past two days the country has registered more than 1,000 infections — many among garment workers and market vendors — bringing the tally to 4,081 cases and 26 deaths since the pandemic began last year.

Authorities this week banned travel between provinces, imposed a night-time curfew in Phnom Penh and shut down popular tourism sites including the famed Angkor Wat archaeological park.

Wearing face masks is now mandatory in Phnom Penh and violators face a fine of up to US$250.

But HE on Saturday threatened harsher measures, saying anyone who flouts a two-week quarantine period would face a “quick trial” and jail time.

“People who break Covid measures must be sentenced,” he said on state-run TV.

“I accept being called a dictator, but I will also be admired for protecting my people’s lives.”

Cambodia has already passed a strict Covid prevention bill that could result in people who flout virus rules being jailed for up to 20 years.

HE also announced that being vaccinated was “mandatory” for all state officials and the armed forces, warning them they could be fired if they refuse.

The kingdom’s vaccination programme began in February and a million people in the country of 16 million have since received at least their first of two shots.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/2098015/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:06 pm HE threatens to jail Covid rule-breakers
Not playing around, I wonder if there may be a general vaccination order mandatory for civilians too like garment workers that are so essential to the economy.
:thumb:
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:06 pm HE threatens to jail Covid rule-breakers
published : 10 Apr 2021 at 17:35

PHNOM PENH: Cambodian Prime Minister HE threatened quarantine-breakers with jail time on Saturday and warned civil servants they could lose their jobs if they go unvaccinated, as the country grapples with a growing coronavirus caseload.

In the past two days the country has registered more than 1,000 infections — many among garment workers and market vendors — bringing the tally to 4,081 cases and 26 deaths since the pandemic began last year.

Authorities this week banned travel between provinces, imposed a night-time curfew in Phnom Penh and shut down popular tourism sites including the famed Angkor Wat archaeological park.

Wearing face masks is now mandatory in Phnom Penh and violators face a fine of up to US$250.

But HE on Saturday threatened harsher measures, saying anyone who flouts a two-week quarantine period would face a “quick trial” and jail time.

“People who break Covid measures must be sentenced,” he said on state-run TV.

“I accept being called a dictator, but I will also be admired for protecting my people’s lives.”

Cambodia has already passed a strict Covid prevention bill that could result in people who flout virus rules being jailed for up to 20 years.

HE also announced that being vaccinated was “mandatory” for all state officials and the armed forces, warning them they could be fired if they refuse.

The kingdom’s vaccination programme began in February and a million people in the country of 16 million have since received at least their first of two shots.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/2098015/
While measures like this do seem alarming and concerning, I can't help but agree with them. It's now become evident that Cambodia's year-long run of good luck was just that. A period of extreme good fortune. But we now know that Cambodians aren't miraculously exempt from the virus and it can, and is, spreading here just as easily as it has done elsewhere.

There are many, many examples around the world of what happens when leaders fail to adopt hard measures to try and contain the spread and save lives. Look at Brazil right now. Over 4,000 deaths in a single day. Of course Cambodia is not Brazil, but just a fraction of that number would be just as devastating here. Look how quickly it spiralled out of control in the UK before they decided on their third lockdown. And let's not forget the devastating numbers the US reached under a president who was so out of touch, it's difficult to know where to start, so I won't.

As I've said before, I'm no conspiracy theorist and I do take much of what I read from official sources at face value. Cases are spiralling out of control here and sadly, hard measures must be taken to try to save lives. With the vaccine rollout already under way, albeit pretty slowly, it's just a case of sitting it out until we all get that shot in the arm. Easier said than done, especially if your entire family have lost their jobs and you have no savings to fall back on. I'm aware it's incredibly tough for a lot of people, but there just isn't an alternative right now.

I know not everyone will agree with me, but I feel much more reassured under a prime minister who's prepared to take these sorts of measures than I am under one who thinks if we all just ignore it, it will go away.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia News, (Kompong Cham province): On April 11, 2021, Speu commune police station received information from Ovay village, Speu commune, Chamkar Lu district, Kompong Cham province that 2 people, a husband and wife, returned to their village from Phnom Penh on April 10, 2021, at 9 pm, by motor cycle.
Currently, the Covid medical team from the district hospital has gone to pick up the couple and take them to the nearest quarantine centre.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:25 pm Image
Cambodia News, (Kompong Cham province): On April 11, 2021, Speu commune police station received information from Ovay village, Speu commune, Chamkar Lu district, Kompong Cham province that 2 people, a husband and wife, returned to their village from Phnom Penh on April 10, 2021, at 9 pm, by motor cycle.
Currently, the Covid medical team from the district hospital has gone to pick up the couple and take them to the nearest quarantine centre.
Great. They cought one pair. :facepalm:
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Man Jumps Fence at Quarantine Center
Cambodia news, (Phnom Penh): A man jumped the fence to escape from the Prek PnovDistrict Quarantine Center in Phnom Penh. The district police force cooperated with the locals to arrest him and send him back to the center.
The attempted escape caused a stir at 10 a.m. on April 11, 2021, but the event was reported to police, who swiftly arrested the runner in a field near a fish pond in Duong village, Prek Pnov.
The man who escaped was 21-year-old Ny Sophany, a worker who was staying at the detention center. He had previously tested negative for Covid-19 and only had 4-5 days of quarantine remaining, but he said he was so bored that he couldn't stand it, so he jumped the fence and left across the fields.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

April 15, 2021
Search for 10 missing COVID-19 patients by Phnom Penh City Hall

The Phnom Penh Capital Administration has announced the search for 10 more COVID-19 patients who have gone missing.

The Phnom Penh Municipal Administration has warned that if these 10 patients do not show up again, they will build a case to be sent to court for legal action.

According to the announcement of the Phnom Penh Capital Administration on the morning of April 15, 2021, the 10 missing patients have been identified as:

Saing Sopheap, male, 27 years old, trader at Orussey Market, selling fake goods, current address: Street 166, Sangkat O’Russey 3, Khan Makara
You Sary, female, 27 years old, current address: Damnak Thom Village, Sangkat Steung Meanchey Khan Meanchey
Vin Chet, male, 28 years old, current address: Phum Thmey, Sangkat Steung Meanchey, Khan Meanchey
Khe Srey Khon, female, 31 years old, current address: Sangkat Steung Meanchey, Khan Meanchey
Yin Sarith, male, 33 years old, current address Prek Talong Village, Sangkat Chak Angre Leu, Khan Meanchey
Top Moeun, male, 48 years old, current address: Concrete Road, Kork Khleang Village, Sangkat Kork Khleang, Khan Sen Sok
Unidentified 28-year-old male resident of a rental house at Village 3 Bassac, Khan Chamkarmon
Chun Chan Dara, 16-year-old male resident of the village of Stung Mean Chey
A 17 years old female who resides at Sangkat Boeung Prolit, Khan 7 Makara
Roeun Virak, male, 35 years old, current address: Phnat village, Sangkat Steung Meanchey, Khan Meanchey

The Phnom Penh Capital Administration has appealed to the relatives, relatives or acquaintances of the above patients to appear within 3 days from today for treatment by contacting No. 1299 or 115.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50839139/s ... city-hall/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Saing Sopheap, male, 27 years old, trader at Orussey Market, selling fake goods
Good to see this is classed as a legitimate job KOW
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Fake Cop Tries to Cross Kandal Covid Checkpoint
Cambodia News, (Kandal): Police in Kandal Steung district, Kandal province, arrested a man in connection with wearing the uniform of a national police officer, in order to cross a police checkpoint after curfew on the night of April 14, 2021.

This man, Reth Panha, 26 years old, unspecified occupation, resides in Kork Trop commune, Kandal Steung district, Kandal province. Police confiscated his black Suzuki Viva motorcycle, made in 2006, with license plate number 1C-2124, and a national police uniform.

In addition to illegally wearing the uniform of the National Police, the man was also charged with using drugs after he tested positive for use of methamphetamine.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

atst wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:07 pm Saing Sopheap, male, 27 years old, trader at Orussey Market, selling fake goods
Good to see this is classed as a legitimate job KOW
Was it the Chinese and their market for sales, who protected what they were doing, "copy good's" not has criminals selling "fake good's".
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic