Pumpkin Prices Plunge

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Pumpkin Prices Plunge

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Farmers Fearful as Pumpkin Prices Plummet
Khorn Nary and Phoung Vantha 05/04/2021 3:09 PM

Continuing the trend of declining prices for agricultural products, farmers in Kampong Chhnang Province have warned that the COVID-19 pandemic is killing their pumpkin farms.

PHNOM PENH--Pumpkin growers in Kampong Chhnang Province remain worried by the sharp drop in pumpkin prices, with many seeing the economic fallout of the COVID-19 pandemic to blame.

Yin Pheap, a pumpkin grower from Boribo District, Kampong Chhnang Province, said that in previous years she could sell pumpkins for around 2,000 riel per kilogram—roughly $0.50—but while prices were declining even in 2019, down to around 1,500 riel, she now struggles to sell a kilogram for 300 riel.

“It’s been a steady drop, every few months for over a year now,” said Pheap. “From 2,000 riel down to 1,500 riel, then down to 1,000, 800, 500 and now it’s around 200 to 300 riel for a kilo.”

Her concerns stem from the fact that current pumpkin prices will see her making a loss. She has 20 hectares of farmland dedicated to pumpkins and can typically harvest between 5 and 6 tons each year, but the prices are so low, she says, she doesn’t know how to keep her business afloat.
https://cambodianess.com/article/farmer ... es-plummet
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Pumpkin Prices Plunge

Post by IraHayes »

what is causing the fall in price? It wasn't really covered in the article (i skimmed through it so if I missed it my bad)
The article just blames the pandemic that caused a huge number of people to lose their jobs. But is that really it?

Or could it be...
Is it over production?
Imports?
or is it really a drop in demand from the cambodian housewife who is moving to alternatives?
or ....... <fill in the blank>

I must confess to a complete lack of knowledge over pumpkin prices etc but they don't appear to be a high-value commodity that people have dropped due to a tightening of the family budget (which is what is implied in the article)
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

....or ....... <fill in the blank..
...i always try to give my kids my hair brained ideas to get rich but so far they haven’t tried them because they ain’t millionaires ,
I had lots of money making ideas , i just don’t need the money ..
But nowadays why couldn’t somebody figger out a way how to make fish food out of them
They gotta have nutritional value and if you can make durien taste like pork I’m sure you could make punkins taste like fish food
Fish are always hungry . Or mix some in with the pigs cannibis not rocket science .
Jaysus
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Perhaps time to change the drop they grow to a more profitable one

Reducing demand can't be due to Covid surely ?
Splashback
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Splashback »

5-6 tonnes per year on 20 hectares? That can't be right.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

20 tons/ha with modern cultivars
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Thanks for this information, but will we ever get to the bottom of the reason for the pumpkin price crisis ? Maybe they were selling for export and there are problems at the borders ? Or that transport between the provinces is so reduced now, that pumpkin sellers can't sell domestically to other provinces either ?
Support the farmers - buy a pumpkin. :dm:
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Maybe be a bit of all of the above. Any place selling tons of pumpkins is definitely targeted for the export market. Either export to the cities, or across borders. Probably a good deal of it for the food industries - aka, restaurants. With the lockdowns in place - from National borders to Old Market locked down, they can’t sell. Either can’t transport to the cities, or just the people they sell to, are out of business.

The local markets - aka village farm communities, don’t consume that many pumpkins. I would suspect locals are hoarding shelf stable food sources - rice, salt fish, etc., over pumpkins.

Same thing happened in Western countries.

The good news. The villagers won’t starve when the village gets quarantined.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

With four markets now closed in Sihanoukville province, the locals are complaining that the price of staple vegetables, including pumpkin, has increased dramastically.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

HARD TIMES FOR PUMPKIN FARMERS
Cambodia News, (Pailin Province): A farmer growing 5 hectares of pumpkin in Phnom Ke village, Stung Trang commune, Sala Krao district complains that although it is time to harvest the pumpkin, nobody will pay more than about 1,200 per kilogram.
Rin Lon, 48, a resident of Pailin province said that the pumpkin harvest has started to be transported from the plantations to be weighed and sold to traders, who buy and resell at Chrak Lem in Doung village, Boeung Reang commune, Kamrieng district, Battambang province. But she stated that traders bought the pumpkins for 1,200 riel per kilogram*, and resold for 1,500 riel** per kilogram. When all expenses are paid, there is no profit, only loss.
ImageImage
Also, much of the pumpkin crop this year was damaged by heavy rainfall, just before harvesting, and could only get 500riel a kilo.

*1,200 riel = approx 30c US
**1,500 riel = approx 36c US

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic