CHEAPEST market for fruit and veg

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

CHEAPEST market for fruit and veg

Post by HappyChappy »

So in order to keep myself busy during these though / boring times, I have decided to start eating / drinking healthier. The thing is, after splashing out on a new blender, my plan of having fruit and vegetable smoothies is a lot more expensive than I had hoped-for.

I found "Doeurm Kor Market" I think it's called, they're a night market and they're quite cheap but it's mainly vegetables.

Where have you guys found is the cheapest market in Phnom Penh???
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: CHEAPEST market for fruit and veg

Post by Matty9999 »

Watch out for orrussey there were 100 new CV cases there in the past week
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Orussei is closed for 2 weeks
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Psah Doerm Kor sells a lot of fruit too, maybe you need to look around at different parts, like the scruffy area to the south.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

All of the local 'wet' markets are going the cheapest than say a Lucky or Thai Huot. But you'd be splitting KHR100 difference between them so I'd wonder the point of shopping around as you'll probably spend more on transport than you'd save.

Re: blending, I wouldn't do that with veg anyway, you probably want to cook it if it is coming from a local market. I don't go beyond blending oats + milk + a handful of frozen fruit from Thai Huot (strawberries, blackberries, etc) and that doesn't seem to be prohibitively expensive. Throw in your multivitamins, protein powder or whatever else, job done.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
HarryBF111
Tourist

Post by HarryBF111 »

Neak Meas market just north of Doerm Kor is the place for fruits.
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by HappyChappy »

Spigzy wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:03 pm All of the local 'wet' markets are going the cheapest than say a Lucky or Thai Huot. But you'd be splitting KHR100 difference between them so I'd wonder the point of shopping around as you'll probably spend more on transport than you'd save.

Re: blending, I wouldn't do that with veg anyway, you probably want to cook it if it is coming from a local market. I don't go beyond blending oats + milk + a handful of frozen fruit from Thai Huot (strawberries, blackberries, etc) and that doesn't seem to be prohibitively expensive. Throw in your multivitamins, protein powder or whatever else, job done.
Oh really, how come you wouldn't blend veg? Cucumber and carrots make decent juices.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Probably because of the habit of growing them in human shit.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

Is buying the cheapest thing in Cambodia wise?
:thumb:
Khmerican
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Khmerican »

How's Psar Doeum Kor working out for you now?

"This is the fifth market that COVID-19 positive patients have entered, after Orussey Market, Old Market, Neak Meas Market and Doeum Kor Market."

Maybe the market chains might cost a bit more, but they practice better hygiene and precautions, especially during these times.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50836695/b ... -covid-19/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic