Man Shot Dead in Front of ABA Bank

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
AzalKH
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Man Shot Dead in Front of ABA Bank

Post by AzalKH »

The first video definitely adds context. A man runs towards the guards obviously asking for help, the guy who ends up being shot shows up and chases him, guard ends up in the middle and the guy starts hitting the guard.

Later he shows up again with a knife and starts making those advances despite a gun being pulled on him.

With a gun out and being charged at the guard probably didn't have many other options to defend himself. Not sure how this would have played out if he didn't have the gun on him.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

AzalKH wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:30 pm With a gun out and being charged at the guard probably didn't have many other options to defend himself. Not sure how this would have played out if he didn't have the gun on him.
Lying dead on the ground in a pool of his own blood after being stabbed & sliced up by the knife-man I think
KunKhmerSR
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by KunKhmerSR »

Given how rough they handled him at arrest even though the video evidence shows clear self defense and the gun looks like it was last owned by Lucky Luke, I'm guessing he wasn't supposed to be in possession of the gun.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

I know it is not the same here but the old saying of:

"Its better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6" applies here in this instance.
rubberbaron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rubberbaron »

I don't know what you guys saw. The guy with the knife wasn't in the picture when the guard was pointing his gun at him, meaning there were at least 2 to 3m between them. In the video the knifer assaulted the guard after being shot. He probably threatened the guard before. In my book this is poor judgment on the guard's part. There were 2 other guys nearby, 3 chairs, maybe enough to fend off the attacker with a knife? How about a warning shot in the air first, then a shot at the legs? No training, that's the backstory to this. Manslaughter in the western world?
AzalKH
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AzalKH »

rubberbaron wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:46 pm I don't know what you guys saw. The guy with the knife wasn't in the picture when the guard was pointing his gun at him, meaning there were at least 2 to 3m between them. In the video the knifer assaulted the guard after being shot. He probably threatened the guard before. In my book this is poor judgment on the guard's part. There were 2 other guys nearby, 3 chairs, maybe enough to fend off the attacker with a knife? How about a warning shot in the air first, then a shot at the legs? No training, that's the backstory to this. Manslaughter in the western world?
The knifer had already assaulted the guard several minutes earlier, actual punches to the guys head before they chased him off. Then he comes back with a knife and continues to advance on the guard despite having a gun drawn on him. Doesn't take long to cross 2-3 metres either. There didn't seem to be any inclination for his buddies to step in to help him either, so he was good as on his own. Shooting at limbs is not easy and it didn't seem like the aggressor had any inclination to back down, so I personally don't think that warning shots at the floor would have done much.

Sure, better training could have led to a different outcome, but they don't get that here. That said I'd be willing to bet that if this were a police officer (or average carrying person I guess) in the states the outcome probably wouldn't have been much different.

Regardless, as mentioned above, it seems he wasn't supposed to be carrying that gun, so fair chance he'll be used as an example and not get much leniency.
AzalKH
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AzalKH »

Unable to edit the post above, but can scratch my above comment as apparently the guard has been released after a number of lawyers offered to represent him & there was a wave of public for him.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

32 mins ago - BREAKING NEWS
Prosecutor’s spokesman officially announces the release of a police officer who shot and killed drug addict in self defence

Phnom Penh Municipal Court late this evening issued an official press release on the release of police officer Phoeun Phirak in connection with an armed incident that left one man dead.

The shooting took place in front of ABA Bank, Russian Federation Blvd., Chong Thnal Kak East Village, Sangkat Teuk Thla, Khan Sen Sok, Phnom Penh, on April 6, 2021.

The police officer who shot a drug dealer to protect himself from the attack was identified as Phoeun Phirak attached to the Police Unit of the General Commission of the National Police, and worked as a security guard at ABA Bank at night.

Security camera footage viewed by authorities revealed that the policeman was acting in self defence and was released while investigations continued.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50836074/p ... f-defence/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

rubberbaron wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:46 pm I don't know what you guys saw. The guy with the knife wasn't in the picture when the guard was pointing his gun at him, meaning there were at least 2 to 3m between them. In the video the knifer assaulted the guard after being shot. He probably threatened the guard before. In my book this is poor judgment on the guard's part. There were 2 other guys nearby, 3 chairs, maybe enough to fend off the attacker with a knife? How about a warning shot in the air first, then a shot at the legs? No training, that's the backstory to this. Manslaughter in the western world?
A warning shot in the air, seriously ?, when your life is in danger & you're probably terrified, you put the attacker down straight away & stop the threat, its not a movie or tv show where you can piss about reading out human rights rubbish & appealing to their better nature first, before shooting them in the knee etc lol, its real life
snoink
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by snoink »

The officer is totally justified in his actions.

The knife guy probably had a death wish, and was high as a kite.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic