Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Re: Information on Coronavirus in Cambodia from 8 March 2020 (Latest Updates)

Post by theKid »

Pretty sure it’s tonight. If they’d give a day notice in advance all hell would break lose tomorrow.

PP and Kandal are counted as one, so travel there is still possible.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia PM orders home treatment for COVID-19 patients as hospitals strain
By Reuters Staff
2 Min Read

PHNOM PENH (Reuters) - Cambodian Prime Minister HE ordered health officials on Tuesday to prepare to treat coronavirus patients at home, as the country’s biggest COVID-19 outbreak so far tests the capacity of its fragile healthcare system.

Cambodia had one of the world’s smallest coronavirus caseloads until six weeks ago, but an outbreak in late February has led to its first 22 COVID-19 deaths and a five-fold jump in cases to 2,824.

A total of 1,794 patients are currently being treated in hospitals that are near capacity, HE said in an audio message shared widely on Tuesday and reported by local media.

“We can’t accept all patients in case that cases increase further,” HE said.

“We have fewer people recovered and many people being admitted for treatment and even if we set up a few more hospitals, it is not enough,” he said.

“Keep those with mild cases of COVID-19 at home for treatment,” he added.

The health ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the home treatment plan.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-camb ... 23?rpc=401&
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

so cambodia has 2000 hospital beds for 16M population?
where did that health budget actually go?

monstra mihi bona!
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

of course the (previously denied) province restrictions kick in at midnight tonight
and with 8pm curfew, that means (meant?) 8pm tonight
what time was this announced, again?

govt officials on 'official business' (mostly mafia-like from what i see) can of course still travel freely

monstra mihi bona!
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:55 pm Could be tomorrow night, but from what I can tell it says zero hours 7th April, so I interpret that as 0001hrs 07th April, which is tonight.
You are right its tonight. Apparently two documents were issued by the ministry - the later document changed the date to tonight.

I have been told that if I have a certificate from a doctor I can pass through. I hope its true.
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

And now the vaccine may be mandatory in the near future....

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50835003/c ... ccination/

Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

The national road from Phnom Penh has a lot of workers.
it's always about the money
more blatantly in cambodia

monstra mihi bona!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Quote -
“We have fewer people recovered and many people being admitted for treatment and even if we set up a few more hospitals, it is not enough,” he said.

I know it's possibly translation, "what is deciphered to what is being communicated". Here I can understand fully that there will be a stage that there is not enough beds or hospital staff to cope with more cases. Although it is worded that someone in the profession, or is in the know, of what may be coming. Then again, I can understand them asking for some cases to be treated at home, more so if it is relatively mild, there is nothing worse than someone with a low need to be taking up a place of a very sick person in need of professionals to treat them.
The vaccines may go the way that other posters have mentioned, being compulsory, and paid by foreigners for the service to themselves.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Politicisation of virus fuels rise in hate crimes
China Daily

The mass protests staged across the United States and many parts of the world in support of Asian Americans’ fight against the widespread and rising racial discrimination against them should drive home the message that the world’s self-proclaimed champion of human rights should stop pointing fingers at others and seek remedies for its own woes.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, more and more Asian Americans have become the target of discrimination and abuse thanks to the “China virus” spite spouted by US politicians and media.

To gloss over the country’s incompetence in fighting the pandemic and shift the blame, some irresponsible US politicians and media have adopted racist rhetoric and stoked anti-Chinese sentiments, fueling hate crimes targeting Asian Americans.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50834613/p ... te-crimes/

Racial discrimination, a dirty word, unthinkable to many of us, also unnecessary, to target someone, because of skin colour or different beliefs or a minority in a country that they are visiting or reside. The question is it actually blatant racial discrimination?
I found myself in a similar situation a year or so ago when covid19 was starting to infect few in the country. It put my partner in a very ill feeling situation, police asking her "why was I not wearing a mask?" In her own city of Kampong Cham, she tried to buy herself cooked food at the market, the stall holders refused to sell her food, but they throw it at her instead and shouted their displeasures because she was with a westerner. We were also refused hotel accommodation, and food in other areas.

Can white people experience racial prejudice? In a word, yes.
Stereotypes and negative beliefs about white people are examples of racial prejudice – but not racism. Which, to be clear, is still wrong. Prejudice directed at any group based on a set of pre-conceived assumptions is never a good thing, and almost always leads to behaviour that is hurtful and causes harm.
The difference between racial prejudice and racism is the lack of any power structure weighted in favour of a particular race. ‘There is no doubt that white people can experience discrimination, harassment and be the victim of prejudice', but again not racism.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

70-Year-Old Man Arrested in Sen Sok Sing-Song Crackdown:

April 6, 2021
Three men sent to court over a violation of COVID-19 measure

Phnom Penh police have sent three men to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court today for questioning after they were caught violating the COVID-19 measures by gathering to have a drink party.

According to the police report, on April 4, at 5:30 pm, Sen Sok district’s Kork Khleang commune police arrested three men for gathering, having a drink party, and singing a karaoke in front of their rented room.

The men are identified as Aun Ratana, 37, Huo Ronmony, 30 and Heng Sovit, 70 and two others remain at large.

Police said local authorities have urged them several times to follow COVID-19 measures, but they refused to do so.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50834933/t ... 9-measure/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic