Beware of the stealth suspension of happy hour

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Beware of the stealth suspension of happy hour

Post by ego bibere nimis »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:27 pm If they still had signs about for happy hour I’d be annoyed and complain.

If they removed signs and I was a regular, it’d be nice if they told me but best to manage expectations of local wait staff.

The dollar amount isn’t a factor so long as your charged the advertised price.
Owner probably doesn't care if a 50c beer drinking 'regular' comes back or not? Not gonna move the needle for any bar really - not unless you are buying lady drinks.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

Reminds me of Paddy Rice which changed to Cheers about 2 years ago...I went 3 or 4 times a week for the Happy Hour....1st day of Khmer New Year my beer cost $1.50 during Happy Hour....They said no Happy Hour Khmer New Year!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:52 pm
GMJS-CEO wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:27 pm If they still had signs about for happy hour I’d be annoyed and complain.

If they removed signs and I was a regular, it’d be nice if they told me but best to manage expectations of local wait staff.

Owner probably doesn't care if a 50c beer drinking 'regular' comes back or not? Not gonna move the needle for any bar really - not unless you are buying lady drinks.

I did a 3 hour happy hour in my bar for a year or more at one stage. Half price beer.

I noticed certain customers would arrive at happy hour sharp, and leave at the end, without exception, no commercial value to them at all, quite the opposite; relatively high spending regulars would pop in, see the bar seats were full and leave.

When I changed it to buy four, get fifth free on ANY drink during happy hour I never saw any of those cheapskate plebs in my place again.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:52 pm

Not sure if the owner cares or not, it remains that as a customer if I was not charged the stated price I would not be happy.

Personally, I am more inclined to avoid a happy hour than seek it out. Better to pay more and avoid happy hour crowd, plus my craft beers aren't in the promotion anyway.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

If its your regular joint, why complain over 6 dollars in this tough time, the past few months ive been over spending in my regular bars just to help their business out and help keep them afloat

Whats $6 amongst friends if you’ve got no loyalty to that bar just go find another that has the happy hour you seek

What bar is it anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:52 pm Owner probably doesn't care if a 50c beer drinking 'regular' comes back or not? Not gonna move the needle for any bar really - not unless you are buying lady drinks.
Possibly not, but rather short sighted if it were the case. To my unqualified mind, a happy customer is more likely to bring friends along than an unhappy one. And a bunch of friends are more likely to drink more. And as the party mood sets in, there’s more chance of less restraint, and the ladies getting drinks bought, if the ladies are there.
But then, Most places everywhere don’t really get customer service.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

...and on the subject of happy hour. When did happy hour become not just two hours, but five, six, half a day? Maybe happy happy hour will start to mean something.

It’s not like the shock you get when you realise a can of draught Guinness is being peddled at a bar price similar to a real draught in the UK/states/Canada.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:59 pm
ego bibere nimis wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:52 pm Owner probably doesn't care if a 50c beer drinking 'regular' comes back or not? Not gonna move the needle for any bar really - not unless you are buying lady drinks.
Possibly not, but rather short sighted if it were the case. To my unqualified mind, a happy customer is more likely to bring friends along than an unhappy one. And a bunch of friends are more likely to drink more. And as the party mood sets in, there’s more chance of less restraint, and the ladies getting drinks bought, if the ladies are there.
But then, Most places everywhere don’t really get customer service.
Jerry Atrick's point is valid. So, on that basis, and knowing that 'birds of a feather' - last thing you want is a balloon chaser bringing his balloon chasing mates in and leaving no room for higher margin customers to come on in.. On the customer service thing....at 50c a beer, not sure any table service should be expected in all fairness.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
RikuPontinen888
Expatriate
Finland

Post by RikuPontinen888 »

hey gråndpå, yåu are too poor to live there. 🤣 hobo with chang bottle in colon. :ROFL:
Yo Yo Yo, It`s Me. That Cambodian Punk Rocker. Famous ASF in the Cambodian Hoooood.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

On the customer service thing....at 50c a beer, not sure any table service should be expected in all fairness.
Who said anything about expecting table service? I said customer service.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic