Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: Information on Coronavirus in Cambodia from 8 March 2020 (Latest Updates)

Post by Phnom Poon »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:36 am April 5, 2021
Anyone entering Kampong Chhnang province required to undergo quarantine
so there will be no restriction on leaving phnom penh
just on entering any other province, lol

monstra mihi bona!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Information on Coronavirus in Cambodia from 8 March 2020 (Latest Updates)

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Doc67 wrote:
Kammekor wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:45 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:52 pm its not yet out of control, its still at the smallest of infant stages, the UK are still raking in more cases and deaths per day, than Cambodia have had in over 1 year totalled.

if they keep up with how they are handling it, it shouldnt get too out of control, at least the people in cambodia are concerned about covid, in the UK no one really gave a shit until it was too late
It is out of control, they have no idea where to look or what to do but to give some perception of control they relate every case back to the 'Feb. 20th event'.
They have the weather and God knows which other factors on their side preventing mass spreading in a short time. For some reasons in the big scheme of things in Cambodia covid isn't a big thing but Cambodia will have to start to live with it, just like every other country.

It's stories like this proving it's out of control plus proving people don't care as much about covid as you think:
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:06 am Cambodia News, (Kampot Province): A woman is reported to have tested positive for Covid-19 on returning to her village in Kampong Trach district, Kampot. The woman, who arrived from Phnom Penh on a motorbike with her husband, is said to have had "flu" symptoms, such as headache and fever, for over a week before the trip, but she refused to see a doctor.

However, before leaving Phnom Penh on 30 March, the woman did go to a hairdresser salon and did some shopping. Then, on arrival in Prey Pruos village, over several days, the woman went shopping and ate at a local bor-bor shop, and she also consulted several local village healers, but by 4 April, she was sent to Kampong Trach Referral Hospital, where the woman and her husband were tested for Covid-19; she was positive and he was negative, and they are both being held in quarantine.

Everyone who was in contact with this woman, even indirectly, has been asked to self-isolate at home, and the authorities are testing all those who are known to have been in direct contact.
My two cents, the rich and middle class are scared about covid, the poor just worry about their livelihoods after one year of this.
I think I am firmly in the 'out of control' camp. With the limited testing capacity, and demands of about a third of that for travellers, quarantines and patients, they haven't got a hope in hell in tracking, tracing and testing everyone thought to have been in direct contact with the current positive cases, let alone the indirect ones. There are now too many places on their lists and they can't close them all.

If they got the WHO to set up 20 labs and they conducted 50,000 tests a day, on random people in random places across Phnom Penh, I think the numbers revealed would send them all running for the hills. When you keep telling people about a "deadly virus" that is "vicious" and all the other hyperbole, you can never admit it is out of control.

Hopefully the numbers will settle down to about 50 a day, and a few deaths per month. They can live with that.
The fact each person who dies still has a name and isn’t just a number/statistic shows that it is not yet out of control, 2500 cases out of 16,000,000 people, as i say this is still in the infancy stage with the potential to get a whole lot worse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's out of control and won't be going back to "normal" as with previous outbreaks. The fact that there aren't tons of deaths compared to the UK is due to the fact that (as I've mentioned countless times for over a year now) people here are 1-young, 2-fairly healthy and 3-the weather may be in their favour. That's all. But it's definitely out of control, no matter what the testing capabilities are.
Compared to other countries Cambodias response has been one of the most controlled, yes there is an outbreak atm, things will never go back to normal thats been obvious for over a year now, and will likely soon be treated like influenza
I guess my opinion of “out of control” is a little squiffed after spending some time in England last year during the pandemic, where there were 1000+ deaths daily, while Cambodia has remained pretty untouched for so long, i can see why people here might see it that way

:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:23 pm Compared to other countries Cambodias response has been one of the most controlled, yes there is an outbreak atm, things will never go back to normal thats been obvious for over a year now, and will likely soon be treated like influenza
I guess my opinion of “out of control” is a little squiffed after spending some time in England last year during the pandemic, where there were 1000+ deaths daily, while Cambodia has remained pretty untouched for so long, i can see why people here might see it that way
With only 40-100 new cases a day it doesn't seem so bad, but they need to be doing 50k tests/day in PP alone right now, if they really want to know how bad things are. Orussey Market might be closed, but if they tested every other market I'd bet they'd detect cases in most of them.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:23 pm
Compared to other countries Cambodias response has been one of the most controlled, yes there is an outbreak atm, things will never go back to normal thats been obvious for over a year now, and will likely soon be treated like influenza

The first confirmed case in Cambodia was on Jan 27th 2020, before most European countries confirmed their first case. The government took action about seven weeks later at the end of March when things spiralled out of control in the USA and Europe. So much for the 'controlled action's fairy tale.

If the UK would have closed their borders seven weeks after the first case would things there really have evolved in a different way? I seriously doubt it.

The virus has been in Cambodia for over 14 months now, and now it's noticed because testing capacity is run at 180%.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Kammekor wrote:

The first confirmed case in Cambodia was on Jan 27th 2020, before most European countries confirmed their first case. The government took action about seven weeks later at the end of March when things spiralled out of control in the USA and Europe. So much for the 'controlled action's fairy tale.

If the UK would have closed their borders seven weeks after the first case would things there really have evolved in a different way? I seriously doubt it.

The virus has been in Cambodia for over 14 months now, and now it's noticed because testing capacity is run at 180%.
Yes covid has always been here since the start, and ive been very vocal about the fact that if you mass test you will find it everywhere,
but to say its out of control now means that it wasn’t before, they are mass testing now so you will find more cases, test and you will find,
but 21 deaths in a population of 16,000,000 is not out of control

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:58 pm
Kammekor wrote:

Yes covid has always been here since the start, and ive been very vocal about the fact that if you mass test you will find it everywhere,
but to say its out of control now means that it wasn’t before, they are mass testing now so you will find more cases, test and you will find,

It all depends on what you consider 'out of control'. I use the qualification because the concept of contact tracing and isolation has proven worthless over the last two weeks, as it has in the rest of the world. They're now randomly calling on people to self isolate because they have no clue. Before the government at least pretended to be on the ball.

The testing currently going on, with a capacity of 4,000 test per day for 17,000,000 people isn't mass testing in my opinion. It's inefficient as well with labs in just 2 places.... It would be interesting to do real mass testing and see what's really going on.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

timmydownawell wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:23 pm Compared to other countries Cambodias response has been one of the most controlled, yes there is an outbreak atm, things will never go back to normal thats been obvious for over a year now, and will likely soon be treated like influenza
With only 40-100 new cases a day it doesn't seem so bad, but they need to be doing 50k tests/day in PP alone right now, if they really want to know how bad things are. Orussey Market might be closed, but if they tested every other market I'd bet they'd detect cases in most of them.
That's the thing... My home district a year ago, with a population half that of Cambodia, was doing 20k tests/day while Cambodia was doing 100-300 (basically just flights). My point is that from the beginning it was obvious it wouldn't hit Cambodia as bad as other countries due to the factors that lead to complications. It's not really correct to compare deaths here to those in the UK when population samples/sizes/risk factors are way different. It's apples in oranges, though I agree we're doing "better", but not necessarily because of the authorities' handling of it. The lack of any exponential increase in positive cases or deaths is likely due to the lower testing levels and lower risk factor to locals (age/obesity/smoking among other things). Sadly, we'll have to "live in fear" for a while more because of this latest fiasco. I blame you Lambo. Things were literally fine for a year till you arrived!

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Kammekor wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:58 pm
Kammekor wrote:

It all depends on what you consider 'out of control'. I use the qualification because the concept of contact tracing and isolation has proven worthless over the last two weeks, as it has in the rest of the world. They're now randomly calling on people to self isolate because they have no clue. Before the government at least pretended to be on the ball.

The testing currently going on, with a capacity of 4,000 test per day for 17,000,000 people isn't mass testing in my opinion. It's inefficient as well with labs in just 2 places.... It would be interesting to do real mass testing and see what's really going on.
The fact they are making people self isolate in hotspots even if theyve not been tested is showing that they are controlling the situation, and the very small number of positive tests and deaths is proofthat its being somewhat effective, yes there is 2600 positive cases in the past 14 months but over 2000 of them have recovered already

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Information on Coronavirus in Cambodia from 8 March 2020 (Latest Updates)

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:
timmydownawell wrote:
That's the thing... My home district a year ago, with a population half that of Cambodia, was doing 20k tests/day while Cambodia was doing 100-300 (basically just flights). My point is that from the beginning it was obvious it wouldn't hit Cambodia as bad as other countries due to the factors that lead to complications. It's not really correct to compare deaths here to those in the UK when population samples/sizes/risk factors are way different. It's apples in oranges, though I agree we're doing "better", but not necessarily because of the authorities' handling of it. The lack of any exponential increase in positive cases or deaths is likely due to the lower testing levels and lower risk factor to locals (age/obesity/smoking among other things). Sadly, we'll have to "live in fear" for a while more because of this latest fiasco. I blame you Lambo. Things were literally fine for a year till you arrived!
ImageImageImageImage

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:26 pm
The fact they are making people self isolate in hotspots even if theyve not been tested is showing that they are controlling the situation, and the very small number of positive tests and deaths is proofthat its being somewhat effective, yes there is 2600 positive cases in the past 14 months but over 2000 of them have recovered already

Take the 'Oh Russei Market' as an example. They're calling on people to have themselves tested and isolated, or else 'they will make them'. Yeah, sure. They've got no clue who these people are who have been selling in the market during that period, and market sellers without symptoms won't report themselves at the designated high school by themselves.... Finding out who those sellers are will take them days, maybe a week, assuming they can ever find out.

The government is pretending to be in control, instigating 14 days quarantine etc etc. The guy whom tested positive in Ratanakiri, and now suddenly is negative, 'quarantined' in his house says the news. He didn't. He's been selling vegetables ever since he came back. But that won't make the news.

I am currently 'self quarantining' after spending 10 days in Phnom Penh last month. The only check I've head from the government was a temperature check at the border of the province. They didn't notice me leaving, and they didn't record my coming back.

The government isn't in control, they're pretending to be.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic