Does anyone know where we can get one of the Covid vaccines in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Res anyone know if we can get one of the vaccines?

Post by Doc67 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:33 am As I said earlier (on another thread I believe):
I think this will resolve when it becomes acceptable to take payment for vaccines, for whatever reason that is a big no-no atm. Khmers are wonderful to westerners but they do have a deeply held belief that we should not get anything for free. The problem in this scenario is that there are good reasons in terms of national health for vaccinating older people and the whole country will be impacted if there is an outbreak amongst unvaccinated older barangs.
But my country is making the stuff at cost, giving it to the UN who in turn are giving it to Cambodia. Only China is charging them, their best friends apparently. Even India gave them free ones.

However, we are going to be pissed around with bullshit embassy lists, a registration system that will just ignore us and finally gatekeepers that will turn us away even if all the paperwork is in order.

Time to move on before I resent the place too much to come back.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Re: Does anyone know if we can get one of the vaccines?

Post by KTabi »

boofhead wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:44 pm but as it stands my future as a teacher beyond this current shutdown of schools is uncertain
Have they given you a rough timeline of when they expect schools to be open again? Any rumors on the streets? Best of luck to you in your pursuits.
:thumb:
boofhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by boofhead »

KTabi wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:15 am
boofhead wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:44 pm but as it stands my future as a teacher beyond this current shutdown of schools is uncertain
Have they given you a rough timeline of when they expect schools to be open again? Any rumors on the streets? Best of luck to you in your pursuits.
Thanks for your regards KTabi. There have been no dates mentioned, even in a vague sense, or even rumors I'm aware of. I would not expect any reopening to be until teachers have received the second doses at least, which will be at least a month away and even then there would be some time after the second dose for antibodies to reach acceptable levels. Until the reopening I'm at least still employed albeit teaching from home which is far from ideal.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

boofhead wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:35 pm I would not expect any reopening to be until teachers have received the second doses at least, which will be at least a month away and even then there would be some time after the second dose for antibodies to reach acceptable levels. Until the reopening I'm at least still employed albeit teaching from home which is far from ideal.
Makes sense, I suppose they want to coverage for high density areas like schools. Is there a sense they seek to have kids vaccinated as well before opening? From charts I saw Cambodia was one of the last projected to have good vaccine coverage, like late 2022 or early 2023. I heard about salary cuts and I imagine many are out of work, despite not being ideal I'm glad some people like yourself are still able to teach and keep kids from falling behind. Looking at the situation I can't imagine English teaching in person being back to where it was in 2019 until maybe past September, no?
boofhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by boofhead »

KTabi wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:47 pm
boofhead wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:35 pm I would not expect any reopening to be until teachers have received the second doses at least, which will be at least a month away and even then there would be some time after the second dose for antibodies to reach acceptable levels. Until the reopening I'm at least still employed albeit teaching from home which is far from ideal.
Makes sense, I suppose they want to coverage for high density areas like schools. Is there a sense they seek to have kids vaccinated as well before opening? From charts I saw Cambodia was one of the last projected to have good vaccine coverage, like late 2022 or early 2023. I heard about salary cuts and I imagine many are out of work, despite not being ideal I'm glad some people like yourself are still able to teach and keep kids from falling behind. Looking at the situation I can't imagine English teaching in person being back to where it was in 2019 until maybe past September, no?
I, like many others I presume, have had my salary cut by 25%. As to when schools reopen, I wouldn't like to guess on any date. My only hope is that I'm able to access a vaccine suitable for someone of my age (61) and is accepted by my home authorities before any reopening as any other vaccine may cause problems down the track should I have to return "home". As for kids being vaccinated, I'm unsure but the experience overseas seems to suggest that vaccinating the young is not a priority anywhere at this stage.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

boofhead wrote:
jah steu wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:25 am Whilst I agree that it would be easy for the embassies to compile lists of their citizens who want to be vaccinated, the Cambodian government ALREADY has this list in effect, from their online vaccine registration system.
Whilst the system is all in Khmer, it is definitely recording foreigner registrations.
When you get your official vaccination card, it has a QR code on it that is linked to your details in this registration system.
So the local authorities could just provide this list of registered foreigners to all the vaccination centres right now. Why the need for “embassy letters” etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A French couple at the hospital at the same time as me had these official vaccination cards with QR codes but were likewise turned away.
The blue plastic vaccination cards with QR codes I’m referring to are only issued when you have already been vaccinated. I’m not sure what cards you are referring to.

Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

boofhead wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:59 pm As for kids being vaccinated, I'm unsure but the experience overseas seems to suggest that vaccinating the young is not a priority anywhere at this stage.
So sorry to hear all of that and the situation, understandable about prioritization. I know people who say they intend to return to their countries just for a vaccine they are so desperate to get one.
boofhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by boofhead »

jah steu wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:41 pm
boofhead wrote:
jah steu wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:25 am Whilst I agree that it would be easy for the embassies to compile lists of their citizens who want to be vaccinated, the Cambodian government ALREADY has this list in effect, from their online vaccine registration system.
Whilst the system is all in Khmer, it is definitely recording foreigner registrations.
When you get your official vaccination card, it has a QR code on it that is linked to your details in this registration system.
So the local authorities could just provide this list of registered foreigners to all the vaccination centres right now. Why the need for “embassy letters” etc?

A French couple at the hospital at the same time as me had these official vaccination cards with QR codes but were likewise turned away.
The blue plastic vaccination cards with QR codes I’m referring to are only issued when you have already been vaccinated. I’m not sure what cards you are referring to.

Not having seen one before I didn't know what they were, but they seemed to be blue cards with a QR code.
boofhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by boofhead »

Further to the above, they seemed to be blue(ish) cards, similar colors to the registration page of the vaccination app and about 1/4 of an A4 sheet in size replete with QR code. Again, I've not seen any official cards nor paperwork before and am merely reporting on what I saw.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Res anyone know if we can get one of the vaccines?

Post by John Bingham »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:57 am
But my country is making the stuff at cost, giving it to the UN who in turn are giving it to Cambodia. Only China is charging them, their best friends apparently. Even India gave them free ones.
I'm aware the producers are selling it close to cost, but COVAX (a WHO agency) buys the vaccines and distributes them. That's where the Indian AstraZeneca here came from - I can't find anything about India donating. Australia has announced a grant of $28 million to purchase 3 million doses, and Cambodia is set to get 7 million doses through COVAX at a subsidized cost. China donated 600,000 doses in February and another 400,000 a few days ago. The government is also trying to buy other vaccines.
Last edited by John Bingham on Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic