Posters who are just here to shit on Cambodia.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Re: Posters who are just here to shit on Cambodia.

Post by Random Dude »

Chad Sexington wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:03 am
John Bingham wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:25 am Goddammit "New Kid", couldn't you and Phuket Richard set up your own site or something? It could be called "Everything in Cambodia is shit.com", or something as dismal as that. Neither of you live here and I'm personally bored with your constant negative posts.
I don’t get why people who don’t live here seem to enjoy complaining about how “everything’s shit in Cambodia”. (everything might be shit in Mozambique or Belgium? I don’t know, and I couldn’t give a fuck, I don’t live there)
But, are they any worse than those expats who’ve lived here for years, who year in year out have been propping up bars complaining about how “everything’s shit here”? we’ve all met them. (there’s not so many of them around since the Chinese takeover started)
I get the feeling the majority of them are just miserable bastards who enjoy a good moan.
If they genuinely think Cambodia is so shit, maybe the former should make a point of not coming here and the latter consider leaving for pastures new.
It's not just a Cambodia thing, I lived in China and it's exactly the same there. People who have been there for years get together, drink beer and complain (except we used to call it 'venting' to release some of the frustrations). The online forums are the same, people go online to 'vent', some never get over their China shock and keep complaining long after they left the country.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Random Dude wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:11 pm
John Bingham wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:25 am Goddammit "New Kid", couldn't you and Phuket Richard set up your own site or something? It could be called "Everything in Cambodia is shit.com", or something as dismal as that. Neither of you live here and I'm personally bored with your constant negative posts.
I don’t get why people who don’t live here seem to enjoy complaining about how “everything’s shit in Cambodia”. (everything might be shit in Mozambique or Belgium? I don’t know, and I couldn’t give a fuck, I don’t live there)
But, are they any worse than those expats who’ve lived here for years, who year in year out have been propping up bars complaining about how “everything’s shit here”? we’ve all met them. (there’s not so many of them around since the Chinese takeover started)
I get the feeling the majority of them are just miserable bastards who enjoy a good moan.
If they genuinely think Cambodia is so shit, maybe the former should make a point of not coming here and the latter consider leaving for pastures new.
It's not just a Cambodia thing, I lived in China and it's exactly the same there. People who have been there for years get together, drink beer and complain (except we used to call it 'venting' to release some of the frustrations). The online forums are the same, people go online to 'vent', some never get over their China shock and keep complaining long after they left the country.
The long-gone Japan forums were filled with bitching expats. We would start "What Do You Like About Japan?" threads to move things in a more positive direction.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Big Daikon wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:20 pm
The long-gone Japan forums were filled with bitching expats. We would start "What Do You Like About Japan?" threads to move things in a more positive direction.
I always had a theory that a lot of the people who went online to complain were saving all their frustrations during the day so they could vomit them out online later. At least if they do that they're not unloading on some poor local.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Big Daikon wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:20 pm

It is something that happens to every online community. Think of a subject and there will be an online community somewhere in some form and they all suffer from the same thing as the China and Japan examples.
Even something innocuous as gardening or needlecraft suffer the same fate. And don't even start me on gaming communities (though to be fair its been a few years since I was involved in any so they may have improved)

Obnoxious, tiresome and whiny people can be avoided in real life but it's not so easy on a forum.
Thankfully, though, at least we don't have to suffer them in real life.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Compared with other expat forums, I think it would be fair to say that bashing the host country is on quite a low level here. There's also usually at least a modicum of truth in the negative posts, so I'm quite pleased that this site isn't as over policed as others.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Alex wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:06 pm Compared with other expat forums, I think it would be fair to say that bashing the host country is on quite a low level here. There's also usually at least a modicum of truth in the negative posts, so I'm quite pleased that this site isn't as over policed as others.
I hadn't posted here until today but I've been a lurker for some time now and that's one of the first things I noticed. It's also one of the few expat forums, at least that I know about, that is still active and going strong. Y'all must be doing something right.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

siliconlife wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:50 pm Image
lol
i find the named posters tedious
but i'm glad not everyone is wearing pink glasses etched with an outline of angkor wat and a 'win win' quote

monstra mihi bona!
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Chad Sexington wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:08 am
samrong01 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:00 am Whilst I understand the sentiment expressed by John Bingham, nevertheless I can not agree. This seems to be a part of the "cancel" culture currently popular - if you disagree with somebody's views then they should be cancelled.

I disagree with what many people say on this forum and elsewhere, but I would defend to the death their right to say them.
There’s a big difference between “being cancelled”, and being asked to “go and do your moaning somewhere else”
Yup. There's nothing new about suggesting someone shut up if they're being obnoxious or egregious. What's new is the phrase "cancel culture" and its application by said people to play the victim card to avoid being held to account for their poor behaviour.

Nobody anywhere in this thread has so much as hinted at the idea that the authorities (or even the mods) should intervene to censor poor quality posts, and yet somehow we're talking "defending to the death their rights" as though we had some sort of Freedom of Speech issue at stake. Like, ease up on the melodrama.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I’m thinking now, that this thread could just be a general venting, despite two names specified earlier on.

Effects of the COVID restrictions in town? Shutdowns, travel issues, curfews. What might normally be dismissed as minor irritations, forgotten until next time while a beer or three are demolished, become somewhat more prominent, and bubble over into resentment. There’s one or two (or more) here in Europe that need taking to the back of the car park for some realignment.

I’ve not had much interaction with PR, but I gather there’s some longer term jousting going on between a few established members, reminders of which pop up quite frequently. More than a few of the threads that he’s been involved in have been quite informative. As for New Kid, I’ve come to regard many of his inputs as approaching barking mad. His sources of information might be worthy of a thread all their own, as there is a frequent departure from credibility. As such, I often ignore most of his posts as being not worth my time, ‘though I do bite back at stuff that directly interests me.
Given that both have been here (at least on CEO) longer than a couple of days, there is some value to their thoughts on matters.

But I understand JB’s irritation. Not so much with the aforementioned, but with those who have a very negative outlook about a place they chose to go to, and see few if any redeeming features about the country. One such poster (no names) professed to be married locally, and yet demonstrates such contempt for Cambodia/Khmer that I have to wonder what his home life is like. Or his wife’s.

In recent months, there’s not been quite the obvious level of short term members logging in who think the whole reason for Cambodia’s existence is as a massive knocking shop. I guess that might change again when travel opens up.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic