Dealing with trolls

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Dealing with trolls

Post by John Bingham »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:32 pm as much of a troll as people think he is, he does make a very valid point, if you dont like him or any other poster, just add them to your foe list and you never have to see any of their posts again
I've never done that, because then you'd end up with some sort of disjointed conversation and you wouldn't know what the hell anyone was talking about. Nobody has been trolling, there have just been a large number of very strange posts which of course are going to attract some surprise and ridicule. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

fsdfdsdf wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:08 pm Another hint is just to post something relevant to the thread and wait a few minutes. The trolls come out pretty quick and then you can just block them. I got a few new ones with my last post.
It's worth considering that meth is bad and may distort your perception of reasonable people saying reasonable things.
:hammerhead:
:thumb:
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:01 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:32 pm as much of a troll as people think he is, he does make a very valid point, if you dont like him or any other poster, just add them to your foe list and you never have to see any of their posts again
I've never done that, because then you'd end up with some sort of disjointed conversation and you wouldn't know what the hell anyone was talking about. Nobody has been trolling, there have just been a large number of very strange posts which of course are going to attract some surprise and ridicule. 8)
It lets you click through to view posts on an individual basis. I find it very useful as a kind of reminder to myself not to bother engaging, like a kind of digital “counting to ten”.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:26 pm
frank lee bent wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:58 am You need to report posts you consider to be trolling. Best cut and paste the offending text so that later editing does not destroy the evidence.

Admins and mods do not read each and every thread so offensive posts often go unnoticed.
Trolls love to provoke people to anger and when you respond you are giving them exactly what they want.

Trolls destroy forums so you need to do your part to preserve the forum as an enjoyable place.
OP reminder to members to come forward and report posts that you consider trolling. The mods can't be reading every single post, but all reports are looked at and reviewed.
As for PR's idea of restoring the down/dislike button, from memory that was removed because it created more problems than it solved.
well it seems to work for 440, works fine for thai visa, ( where the mods are really in control) guess to have a down button ur posters must be adults and be able to use it correctly. :stir:

Take responsibility for ur posts or see the results, works better than posts randomly disappearing
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
RoryR
Expatriate

Post by RoryR »

nemo wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:12 pm If my local pub was welcoming obnoxious characters I would find a new pub.
If you walked into a new pub and told an interesting or amusing personal story and everyone shouted “you are new here! You’re lying! You are making that up! You troll!” thrn you would probably leave too.

Look at the active topics here. Coronavirus news, Harry and a Meghan news, Thailand news links, car accidents, Burma news, etc...

When new posters join and post about overstaying or being in hotel quarantine or getting fake bills the townspeople all shout troll and it just pollutes the discussion. I’m capable of deciding on my own if someone is pulling my leg I don’t need to read a bunch of accusations of trolling by posters trying to shut down the conversation.

Fdsfsdsfdsf or whatever his name ... is admitted to meth use a long time ago and posted about overstay and problems with police which is what I would expect a meth head to post about. He may be a paranoid delusional twat but that does not make him a troll.

If I want to read news links about Thailand and Burma I’ll go to the Bangkok Post website.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

I’m capable of deciding on my own if someone is pulling my leg I don’t need to read a bunch of accusations of trolling by posters trying to shut down the conversation.
And yet, here we are!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

From Mom’s basement?

I was told by parents in no uncertain terms when I went to school IF I failed I would die in the streets.

Cultural ‘You Bring Honor to Us All’, and if not, ‘ain’t part of the family anymore.

Some bandy about the label of ‘Troll’ to anything they don’t like. Just like BLM. If there is truly something offensive, use the ‘report’ option to flag it to the mods.

Sorry to revive a derailed thread about nothing interesting.

My thoughts are my own.

Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:20 am guess to have a down button ur posters must be adults and be able to use it correctly. :stir:
I think that was the problem. Not enough adults and too many shit-stirrers with nothing else to do.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:01 am
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:20 am guess to have a down button ur posters must be adults and be able to use it correctly. :stir:
I think that was the problem. Not enough adults and too many shit-stirrers with nothing else to do.
Therein lies the entire problem AM. 👍
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Yerg wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:08 am
Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:01 am
Therein lies the entire problem AM. 👍
yeah plus you had certain posters (trolls) who prided themselves with their negative karma and encouraged them to troll more
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic