Covid-19

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Haden
Expatriate
Chile

Re: Covid-19

Post by Haden »

Apollo91881 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:43 am
samrong01 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:11 am
xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:01 pm
nerdlinger wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:18 pm
xX.TROPA.Xx wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:56 pmNOPE.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... ndandwales
1,549 deaths in England and Wales of people aged below 65 with no other health conditions in 2020 (i.e. not including the bulk of the second wave). But perhaps you have access to information the rest of us don't.
oh shit maybe Im wrong! I'm 34 and fit as a fiddle should i be scared of covid?
The government says that you should be terrified and should do exactly what they say or you will die while I say bullshit. Who do you believe - the government or some random person on the internet?

Oh and by the way, the UK government counts anyone who has ever had COVID19 as a COVID19 death regardless of the actual cause of death.
I've heard statements similar to this several times now, that everything is being called COVID. It's complete and utter fucking nonsense.

The best way to explanation it:
"I have Type 1 diabetes. I am healthy enough to run ultramarathons.
If I get attacked by a bear & the ICU has trouble managing my blood sugar while caring for my bear attack wounds...and I die... the bear is the cause of my death."

COVID is the bear.
Haha it's true.
You actually can't just be sick anymore.
I recently threw a sicky in work and lied saying I had D&V. My manager told me I had to get a negative test to go back in, WTF!!
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:54 am
nerdlinger wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:56 pm Yes, loads.

Not only that but we still don't know the fullest extent of the life-changing disabilities and "long covid" that can happen to otherwise healthy people in their 30s and 40s. Many stories abound of people who a year later still suffer fatigue, memory problems, breathing difficulty, and a whole raft of other long-term complications.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavir ... ong-covid/

Covid is also associated with increased risk of stroke even in younger people; we're likely to keep seeing people die of the complications of coronavirus years after they've ostensibly recovered from it.

https://www.stroke.org.uk/news/does-cor ... 20expected.
Long Covid is going to be the malingerers golden goose in the coming months and years.

Anyone with antibody's can prove they have had Covid-19 and then milk it for all it's worth. I know it exists, and so do those keen to exploit the welfare systems and public sector sickness policies. I bet the NHS will have one of the highest rates of staff on long term sick leave with long Covid.

It's the new ME.
Unlike ME, the damaging effects of covid such as scarred lung tissue, stroke, clotting, heart problems etc are all very easy to demonstrate on a scan.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:33 pm "myocardial infarction" simply means Heart Attack. But, does that mean he died due to Covid? Does Covid induce a heart attack?
Yes. Compromised lung ability to oxygenate the blood makes the heart beat faster to meet the demands of oxygen in the body. A high heart rate for a prolonged period (days) will test out most tickers, weak or damaged ones wont last. I hope they have a good supply of oxygen in stock at the moment.

Plus the virus also screws with a protein in the heart. If you've got a dodgy heart, you really don't want this bug.

Lack of oxygen. As the virus causes inflammation and fluid to fill up the air sacs in the lungs, less oxygen can reach the bloodstream. The heart has to work harder to pump blood through the body, which can be dangerous in people with pre-existing heart disease. The heart can fail from overwork, or insufficient oxygen can cause cell death and tissue damage in the heart and other organs.

easy read.
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/ ... art-damage
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

nerdlinger wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:44 am
Doc67 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:54 am
nerdlinger wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:56 pm Yes, loads.

Not only that but we still don't know the fullest extent of the life-changing disabilities and "long covid" that can happen to otherwise healthy people in their 30s and 40s. Many stories abound of people who a year later still suffer fatigue, memory problems, breathing difficulty, and a whole raft of other long-term complications.

Covid is also associated with increased risk of stroke even in younger people; we're likely to keep seeing people die of the complications of coronavirus years after they've ostensibly recovered from it.

https://www.stroke.org.uk/news/does-cor ... 20expected.
Long Covid is going to be the malingerers golden goose in the coming months and years.

Anyone with antibody's can prove they have had Covid-19 and then milk it for all it's worth. I know it exists, and so do those keen to exploit the welfare systems and public sector sickness policies. I bet the NHS will have one of the highest rates of staff on long term sick leave with long Covid.

It's the new ME.
Unlike ME, the damaging effects of covid such as scarred lung tissue, stroke, clotting, heart problems etc are all very easy to demonstrate on a scan.
These are not long Covid. These are just your wounds from your battle with the disease. I am not talking about people you can't get out of their chair and need oxygen all the time.

Here's the NHS's list of Long Covid symptoms to choose from (so far):

Symptoms of long COVID
There are lots of symptoms you can have after a coronavirus infection.

Common long COVID symptoms include:

extreme tiredness (fatigue)
shortness of breath
chest pain or tightness
problems with memory and concentration ("brain fog")
difficulty sleeping (insomnia)
heart palpitations
dizziness
pins and needles
joint pain
depression and anxiety
tinnitus, earaches
feeling sick, diarrhoea, stomach aches, loss of appetite
a high temperature, cough, headaches, sore throat, changes to sense of smell or taste
rashes

There is no way the NHS will be doing any Long Covid-19 diagnosis anytime soon, there are a bit busy. Besides, virtually everything on this list is almost impossible to disprove.

Projections by the NHS Confederation show that the NHS waiting list is expected to rise from about 4.2 million currently to about 10 million by Christmas.

This assumes the health service makes a steady return to full capacity within the next 12 months.

(Laugh out loud at this one)

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52984742
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

from the groups my daughter is on and the drs info they figure up to 10% or more suffer more than 3 months with many being affected months and ... down the line.. no treatment, no cure....

Its not really talked about much in the main media
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Almost third of UK Covid hospital patients readmitted within four months
BMJ analysis of 48,000 records also finds one in eight patients die within four months of discharge
Ian Sample
Thu 1 Apr 2021 06.00 BST

Nearly a third of people who have been in hospital suffering from Covid-19 are readmitted for further treatment within four months of being discharged, and one in eight of patients dies in the same period, doctors have found.

The striking long-term impact of the disease has prompted doctors to call for ongoing tests and monitoring of former coronavirus patients to detect early signs of organ damage and other complications caused by the virus.

While Covid is widely known to cause serious respiratory problems, the virus can also infect and damage other organs such as the heart, liver and kidneys.

Researchers at University College London, the Office for National Statistics, and the University of Leicester, compared medical records of nearly 48,000 people who had had hospital treatment for Covid and had been discharged by 31 August 2020, with records from a matched control group of people in the general population.

The records were used to track rates of readmission, of deaths, and of diagnoses for a range of respiratory, heart, kidney, liver and metabolic diseases, such as diabetes.

After an average follow-up time of 140 days, nearly a third of the Covid patients who had been discharged from hospital had been readmitted and about one in eight had died, rates considerably higher than seen in the control group.

“This is a concern and we need to take it seriously,” said Dr Amitava Banerjee, at the Institute of Health Informatics at University College London. “We show conclusively here that this is very far from a benign illness. We need to monitor post-Covid patients so we can pick up organ impairment early on.”

Unexplained symptoms that persist for more than four months are often described as “long Covid” or “post-Covid syndrome”, but doctors are still working out patterns of long-term organ damage that can be caused by the infection.

New diagnoses of respiratory and heart disease and diabetes were all raised in the former Covid patients compared with the control group, as were problems with the function of multiple organs. The rate of multi-organ dysfunction after discharge was greater among patients under the age of 70 compared with those over 70, they found, and the rate was higher in ethnic minorities than in the white population.
Full article: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... our-months
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic