Chinese Man Pulls a Knife When Attacked by Riverside Bag Snatchers

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Chinese Man Pulls a Knife When Attacked by Riverside Bag Snatchers

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): A Chinese man was allegedly attacked by a gang of youths, who snatched a bag and a phone from him at 9:50 pm, on March 29, 2021, at the riverside area of Phnom Penh.
The Chinese victim said he was hit on the head and had a bag and a phone snatched. Then he said that he saw a youth driving a motorbike carrying a stick coming towards him, so he used a knife to protect himself. Then the police arrived to break up the fight.

The youth, who was a seller on Preah Sisovath boulevard at the corner of street 136, said in his defense that the Chinese man had attacked people with a knife, so he was carrying a stick to protect himself. After the incident, the police took the two men to the police station for questioning.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Chinese Man Pulls a Knife When Attacked by Riverside Bag Snatchers

Post by John Bingham »

It's gettin' kinda heavy..

Silence, exile, and cunning.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

has riverside become much more dangerous than lets say 3 years ago?
work is for people who cant find truffles
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Surely they must have CTV cameras in the area to confirm what happened
Always "hope" but never "expect".
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

Riverside is very dangerous after about 9 or ten at the moment. And during all hours you will have people creeping up behind you to look for phones and other things they can take. Most of the thieves live there and that's how they make their living. They are completely open about it and fear no one because the police ignore them and everyone else either doesn't care or is scared of them.
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:34 am Surely they must have CTV cameras in the area to confirm what happened
It's dark. I think they turned down the voltage in the lights to save power. Even if there are cameras which mostly there aren't they won't be able to recognize people
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

So he was carrying a knife for self protection?

fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:39 pm So he was carrying a knife for self protection?

I'm thinking of doing the same. A few weeks ago I was having breakfast at olala and two of the regular theives had a young khmer guy on the ground in the middle of the road and had knives out trying to get his phone. There are armed theives on the riverside at all hours and they don't care who sees them stealing. they know no one will stop them. If you are alone you need to be prepared to fight
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I've said it before on another thread, I do think the Riverside area is a more dangerous place than it's ever been. More jaow, beggars, homeless, undesirables et al. And now with all the bars closed in the area at night, there's a lot less people around and there are gangs of kids roaming round. I avoid being out too late. And when I am out day or night, I reckon it pays to have eyes in the back of your head to see what's coming up behind you as you walk the streets.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The area from the Areyksat ferry up to about 148 is okay in the evenings, north of that is sketchy. I avoid it after about 7.00.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic