£50 for Alan Turing

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: £50 for Alan Turing

Post by Clemen »

side wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:42 amNerds.
GCHQ has posted a Turing Challenge, 12 puzzles they reckon would take at least 7 hours to solve.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... lan-turing

I originally posted this because I was happy to see Turing get some of the recognition he deserved. The part that I bolded, I found quite interesting, he may not have been the first to suggest this. I believe he was the first to make it work however.
Oh, The Imitation Game is free on Tubi this month. A film based on his time at Bletchley Park.
Nerd out, I mean beer, or something
up to you...
ash333
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ash333 »

“What better way to remember a man chemically castrated by our government for his ‘impure’ thoughts than by putting him on a banknote that immediately rouses suspicion of criminal activity in anyone you hand it to?”

Some disgruntled retailers have already spoken out against the new note, including local newsagent Simon Williams.

“No. Not having it. Not in my shop,” said Williams.

“It’s just not natural. I was brought up not to accept them, and I’m certainly not going to start now. £50 notes are an abomination, and they’re not welcome, certainly not in this newsagents anyway.

“You’re free to be as wealthy as you want in your own home. Just don’t come in here, waving it in my face.”
side
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by side »

Clemen wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:22 pm
GCHQ has posted a Turing Challenge, 12 puzzles they reckon would take at least 7 hours to solve.

I originally posted this because I was happy to see Turing get some of the recognition he deserved. The part that I bolded, I found quite interesting, he may not have been the first to suggest this. I believe he was the first to make it work however.
Oh, The Imitation Game is free on Tubi this month. A film based on his time at Bletchley Park.
Imitation Game was a good movie, Turing a hero, sad story ultimately.
Me, not that other crap.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

side wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:48 am
Clemen wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:22 pm

Imitation Game was a good movie, Turing a hero, sad story ultimately.
An extremely good movie. And very sad story. Beyond the sad story of Turing though, I found the total mistrust of the Soviets interesting since they were Allies, on paper anyway. Also interesting was the late entry of the US into the fray, when it would have been expedient to get into it earlier.
Last edited by Marty on Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic