Tragic Accident as Man Dies in Well from Lack of Oxygen

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Tragic Accident as Man Dies in Well from Lack of Oxygen

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Kratie Province): A man died from lack of oxygen, when he was installing a water pump motor in a well at a depth of 6 meters in a tragic accident on the morning of March 30, 2021 in Anchanh village, Dar commune, Chit Borey district, Kratie province.
According to the source, the victim was Khin Choeun, a 50-year-old man living in the above-mentioned village-commune. The source said that before the incident, the victim was seen going from his house down a well located at the back of his house at a depth of about 6 meters to connect the pump motor, but because there was no oxygen in the well, it caused a tragic death.
The relatives saw the victim go down into the well and could not find him, so they went to look for him, only to find out that the victim had suffocated and died while he was installing the water pump.
After the body of the victim was retrieved from the well by the villagers, they reported the accident to the authorities to come down for an autopsy, and the authorities confirmed that the victim died accidentally by going into the well where he ran out of oxygen.
Authorities handed over the body of the victim to the relatives for a traditional ceremony. RIP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Re: Tragic Accident as Man Dies in Well from Lack of Oxygen

Post by Apollo91881 »

Is this actually possible?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Yes, as I understand it, and has happened a couple of times, reported in news on CEO.
I think the actual problem is the excess CO2 buildup, that doesn’t dissipate. You start rebreathing your own exhaled air. Exertion exacerbates, and the gradual incapacitation actually impedes recognising the effects.

Well shafts, mine shafts.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Apollo91881 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:54 am Is this actually possible?
It happens all the time, although usually it happens while digging the well. Wells can go as deep as 25-30 meters and experienced diggers will pump air in the well while working down there.

In this case, at 6 meters deep, maybe the man become unwell and fell into the deep well. Suffocating at only 6 meter seems strange to me.
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

Not only is it possible, but it is extremely dangerous to go into a well, a hole, or a cave without testing the atmosphere. It could have been a lack of oxygen, and it also could have been H2S. Hydrogen Sulfide is naturally produced by decaying organic matter. It is heavier than air, and can kill immediately if the level is high enough.

Unfortunately, it is very common in these cases to have multiple fatalities as friends and family attempt rescue...only to succumb as well.

I am surprised that so many are unaware of how dangerous this is.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Exactly as LS says. You do training regarding this if you work in the oil industry or some agricultural fields. Common problem in many developing countries. I'm also surprised people still dig wells the old-fashioned way when getting a bore well dug is relatively cheap and easy. Perhaps they're worried about maintenance costs on the pump, or they get relatives to dig the wells for free so oot for that instead. I can't imagine it being much cheaper as almost no one digs these anymore.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

Lonestar wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:43 am Not only is it possible, but it is extremely dangerous to go into a well, a hole, or a cave without testing the atmosphere. It could have been a lack of oxygen, and it also could have been H2S. Hydrogen Sulfide is naturally produced by decaying organic matter. It is heavier than air, and can kill immediately if the level is high enough.

Unfortunately, it is very common in these cases to have multiple fatalities as friends and family attempt rescue...only to succumb as well.

I am surprised that so many are unaware of how dangerous this is.
I completely understand the dangers of confined spaces and wondered if there was another gas displacing the Oxygen.
I didn't expect 6 meters though.
Now I learned something.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:01 am Exactly as LS says. You do training regarding this if you work in the oil industry or some agricultural fields. Common problem in many developing countries. I'm also surprised people still dig wells the old-fashioned way when getting a bore well dug is relatively cheap and easy. Perhaps they're worried about maintenance costs on the pump, or they get relatives to dig the wells for free so oot for that instead. I can't imagine it being much cheaper as almost no one digs these anymore.
For me the question is not why they dug the well, they probably did so years or decades ago, but why did he go in to install or repair a pump when the work could be done on the surface?

Getting a well drilled in Cambodia ain't cheap, or relatively cheap. Most areas have only one company capable of doing the job. Here in the Northeast we have two now, so prices came down a but, but a bore well + pump (1kW) will set you back 1,600 USD (used to be 1,850-1,900). To dig a well costs 250 USD. That says it all I guess.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Where are you at? I've had three wells dug at different locations and they cost about $250 each, including the pipes... Ground is like butter here. Cheap Chinese pump is like $60-100 max. Of course, costs go up significantly if you're living on a hillside or rocky terrain (I know a guy who spent $1k+), but most villages aren't. The NE might be a totally different situation though.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic