Dealing with "customer service" issues

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
ergosemper
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Dealing with "customer service" issues

Post by ergosemper »

Knowing the stringency of refund terms in this part of world and because they are costly and almost impossible to resell, I would do research before buying to ensure it works as advertised. I also generally request that testing be done immediately after paying (which they are almost always willing to do) and if found defective, it will be replaced right there and then. Logical and intelligent money management.

As for the snatched bag analogy, if you come to a country where poverty is rampant (again, pre-travel research is the keyword) and you know there is a very real risk of such bag snatchings occurring, then yes I would blame one who negligently encourages the crime by publicly flaunting a bag with thousands in it or by not taking precautions such as carrying the bag curbside. Logical and intelligent risk management.

Can't blame the shop and I'm not taking their side here. They have a business to run and they are simply doing what every business does: due diligence and risk mitigation. There is a chance you might be returning a different item or that you might have used it in a manner that deviates from the user manual. They do have to investigate and not simply take your word at face value. The item left their premises and it has been unpacked. Absolutely natural for them to do their checks.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Never, ever use the big computer stores PTC et al.

Their staff are not trained, poorly managed and are mired in their own self importance.

I have found that, for computer related work and purchases, shopping only at the smaller stores along Kampuchea Krom gives better value, better quality and warranties that are honoured.

I like Vantech in particular, myself, and often will order through Facebook and pay via ABA and they ship same day for me.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:48 pm Never, ever use the big computer stores PTC et al.

Their staff are not trained, poorly managed and are mired in their own self importance.

I have found that, for computer related work and purchases, shopping only at the smaller stores along Kampuchea Krom gives better value, better quality and warranties that are honoured.

I like Vantech in particular, myself, and often will order through Facebook and pay via ABA and they ship same day for me.
I once went into PTC to check out a laptop. I asked them to switch the model on display on so I could check on the boot time, screen quality and quality of the touchpad. Of course they refused, they can't just switch on a new laptop!
Total idiocy. Expecting you to buy something worth a few hundred to a thousand bucks without even the slightest check on its' performance.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:00 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:48 pm Never, ever use the big computer stores PTC et al.

I once went into PTC to check out a laptop. I asked them to switch the model on display on so I could check on the boot time, screen quality and quality of the touchpad. Of course they refused, they can't just switch on a new laptop!
Total idiocy. Expecting you to buy something worth a few hundred to a thousand bucks without even the slightest check on its' performance.
Though there are plenty of idiots out there, I like to think of them as people from the Bronze Age handling products from the Space Age. A laptop is complex beyond their comprehension.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Once you leave the shop over here warranty stops you take it back and buy another, gotta love those blank stares
Buy a coffee no milk come back with milk again the blank stare expecting you to buy another one
The other day ask $5 pertol for my moto girl fulls it up $9 thanks, again the blank stare you pay and its not a communication problem many times my girl does the asking ( they just don't think or don't care) :beer3:
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

atst wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:30 pm The other day ask $5 pertol for my moto girl fulls it up $9 thanks, again the blank stare you pay and its not a communication problem many times my girl does the asking ( they just don't think or don't care) :beer3:
I hope you got a free packet of 20c cheezypuffs with that. ;-)
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Marty wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:04 pm I know what the moral of the story is. It is: First world problems in a Fourth world country.
I would add: first world "expectations" in a fourth world country. It will probably take another generation until standards meet. Had my Iphone "fixed" in a mum and pop shop with "original spare parts". Money wasted as the new screen and touchpad worked just a few days. Went back just to hear: solly..when you leave everythig ok..wont go back there...and he probably gives a fuck about that.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

truffledog wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:28 pm and he probably gives a fuck about that.
True.

That's the problem of trying to put a western paradigm of customer service into Cambodia.

When someone says 'vote with your feet and take your money elsewhere'.....that doesn't translate here.

There's severe cognitive dissonance. They won't put two and two together.....that their bad service led to less customers.

They equate customers with karma.........if I'm a good person with good karma and give money to the Wat, naturally, I'll be blessed with customers.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:08 pm
atst wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:30 pm The other day ask $5 pertol for my moto girl fulls it up $9 thanks, again the blank stare you pay and its not a communication problem many times my girl does the asking ( they just don't think or don't care) :beer3:
I hope you got a free packet of 20c cheezypuffs with that. ;-)
Thing is what if I only had the $5 on me?
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

I usually ask if I can return the product if it isn't compatible with my set-up before buying it and usually get offered a one day grace period. I don't trust any electronics since every brand insists on making the plug to charge the battery slightly different each iteration for no reason other than to be difficult.
Scarier than malaria.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic