Need help understanding Air Asia email "Proof of Debt" request.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Need help understanding Air Asia email "Proof of Debt" request.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

It's been almost a year since I disputed Air Asia's almost $1000 in airfares they owed me come their failure to provide goods and services due to COVID-19. I got the money back through a Mastercard dispute but received the following email from AirAsia today. As I'm not terribly au fait with banking transaction regulations, creditors etc, can someone explain what's going on? As I mentioned, I've already received my refund via Mastercard...surely they can't have another crack at it, can they?

Are there time constraints placed on companies or vendors to dispute moneys already reclaimed by purchasers?

I guess it could also be a scam. Anyone else get one of these emails?

In your debt, at your service.
KFH

AirAsia X Berhad’s Debt Restructuring Plan Notice to Creditors for Proof of Debt
Dear xxxxx

Thank you for your patience as we continue to progress with the regulatory process to restructure our business affairs after submitting an application for a debt restructuring plan to the High Court of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. We are pleased to formally inform you that the restructuring process is progressing as planned, and we are now inviting all scheme creditors, including passengers, to participate in the proof of debt (“POD”) exercise.

For the purpose of the POD, you are required to prove your debts. To facilitate this process, we are sharing with you a document that contains a letter and the POD form that explains the requirements of the POD exercise. Each passenger is also assigned a unique E-filing ID which will help us to organize the submissions.

Please complete the POD form and provide all supporting documents, and return the complete pack of documents via hard copy and email by 7 April. You may find more information and details of the POD xxxxxxxxx

Your assigned E-filing ID is: xxxxxxx (please indicate this E-filing ID in your POD form).

xxxxxxxx

Following this, within the next two months, you will receive an Explanatory Statement outlining the information relating to the creditors' meeting and the voting process, including any actions you may wish to take.

We understand that these are challenging times for everyone and appreciate your understanding. We thank you for your ongoing support.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at xxxxxxxxxx

Thank you!

Regards,
AirAsia X Team
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Need help understanding Air Asia email "Proof of Debt" request.

Post by timmydownawell »

When you dispute a transaction with a credit card company they refund you, pending their settling it with the vendor. If Mastercard hasn't been refunded by AirAsia it seems like the case is still open and you may yet potentially lose your money.

I opted for credit for my flights (although this was AirAsia, not the longhaul AirAsia X) and I logged in last week to check and yes I still have credit. Can you log on on their website (not app) and see if you have a credit showing?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

First let me say I know nothing about Malaysia bankruptcy law.

This appears to be similar to a notice that would go to all creditors of a company that is declaring bankruptcy. In the US, you hypothetically have the opportunity to put in a claim against any outstanding assets of the company if they owe you money.

It might just be that they just sent the form letter to all passengers that they didn't pay a refund to. You received one through Mastercard - if They never reimbursed Mastercard they would actually be the party with standing to put in a claim.

You might want to double check with Mastercard that they consider the dispute closed. In my own dealings with Mastercard - the charge is put on hold and once resolved the charge is removed. I would assume if they credited your account then your in the clear.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

A debt restructure plan that has been going through the High court of Malaysia & i am sure it has been denied.
I think :geek: they tried to structure creditors into different category's; Boeing/Airport rental/Passengers etc with a different level of return & liability due to Covid.
BOC Aviation & Malaysian airports are engaged in legal proceedings, AAX has just been granted a 3 month restraining order on creditors. If the company becomes insolvent which is likely there will only be a percentage on what is owed.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:19 pm It's been almost a year since I disputed Air Asia's almost $1000 in airfares they owed me come their failure to provide goods and services due to COVID-19. I got the money back through a Mastercard dispute but received the following email from AirAsia today. As I'm not terribly au fait with banking transaction regulations, creditors etc, can someone explain what's going on? As I mentioned, I've already received my refund via Mastercard...surely they can't have another crack at it, can they?

Are there time constraints placed on companies or vendors to dispute moneys already reclaimed by purchasers?

I guess it could also be a scam. Anyone else get one of these emails?

In your debt, at your service.
KFH

AirAsia X Berhad’s Debt Restructuring Plan Notice to Creditors for Proof of Debt
Dear xxxxx

Thank you for your patience as we continue to progress with the regulatory process to restructure our business affairs after submitting an application for a debt restructuring plan to the High Court of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. We are pleased to formally inform you that the restructuring process is progressing as planned, and we are now inviting all scheme creditors, including passengers, to participate in the proof of debt (“POD”) exercise.

For the purpose of the POD, you are required to prove your debts. To facilitate this process, we are sharing with you a document that contains a letter and the POD form that explains the requirements of the POD exercise. Each passenger is also assigned a unique E-filing ID which will help us to organize the submissions.

Please complete the POD form and provide all supporting documents, and return the complete pack of documents via hard copy and email by 7 April. You may find more information and details of the POD xxxxxxxxx

Your assigned E-filing ID is: xxxxxxx (please indicate this E-filing ID in your POD form).

xxxxxxxx

Following this, within the next two months, you will receive an Explanatory Statement outlining the information relating to the creditors' meeting and the voting process, including any actions you may wish to take.

We understand that these are challenging times for everyone and appreciate your understanding. We thank you for your ongoing support.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at xxxxxxxxxx

Thank you!

Regards,
AirAsia X Team
I had a dispute with a company a few years ago for £600. I contacted barclaycard and they refunded me straight away and informed me that they would contact me when they had made enquiries and if it wasn't resolved . I took this to mean if the company had refused the outcome, they obviously did as i never heard from them again. I reckon this letter was sent out to everybody, those who have already been refunded like you and all the others who are still dealing with them.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

On a related tip: my sister once had her card skimmed in Brazil. She was refunded by the bank, and then later the store the fraudulent purchase had been made from also refunded her. Bonus!
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

So KFH send back the form and maybe you will get lucky :thumb:
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

You asked your credit card company this exact question first, right?
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

IraHayes wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:22 pm You asked your credit card company this exact question first, right?
Of course not. Why do that?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:37 pm
IraHayes wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:22 pm You asked your credit card company this exact question first, right?
Of course not. Why do that?
Actually, I’d say that doing so would be sensible. If this were a case of fraud, keeping them in the loop may protect you.

The rest of my thoughts on this are fairly general, though.

Firstly, banking and sales laws differ dependent upon which country you’re in (obviously). A Malaysian seller making sales in Australia for instance, might be obliged to abide by laws governing Australian sales, rather than Malaysian. Online sales I believe may still be regionally dependent.

Credit card sales in some countries come with a host of protections. It sounds like you may have been reimbursed by the credit card company on the basis of those protections. It’s then up to the credit card company to reconcile that debt with the airline. At this point, the papers that you complete (supposition on my part now) may be to identify whether the airline owes you money, or your card issuer. It will probably also aid them in fraud protection, in case they receive a claim from two parties for the same payment. If someone were to claim $xxx from air Asia, while also having been refunded the fees by BigCreditCard.com, and then air Asia were to receive a claim from BigCreditCard.com, there’d be something very suspicious.

Anecdotal, now. An airline I once worked for ultimately failed when the parent company ran into problems as a result of not receiving payments for airline tickets sold. The airline used a clearing house for card sales. The clearing house would periodically pay the airline, but handled all of the administration for credit card purchases, rather than the airline having a department doing that. Several airlines and other companies did this with one clearing house. Problems occurred, though, when the clearing house were unable to pay their customers their money (some unsound investment by the clearing house)
I’ll clairfy though- I do not know if this is pertinent to air Asia.

Creditors.
Again, no doubt laws on this differ depending upon where you are. But creditors often don’t get a nice 100% refund, or payout on debts owed, when things go south. There is likely to be a process in motion to establish who may be entitled to what. Is the communication identifiable as actually coming from Air Asia, or some other entity? Has the identity and validity of this been checked by other means- For instance, contacting Air Asia via their switchboard, and not via the contact details in this communication.

As you’ve only received an email, so far, are you expecting any real paper mail on the subject?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic