Irish Footballer, Paddy Barrett, Joins Cambodian Team in Svay Rieng

Title says it all really...
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Irish Footballer, Paddy Barrett, Joins Cambodian Team in Svay Rieng

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Andrew Dempsey
Former Dundalk defender Paddy Barrett joins Cambodian side Preah Khan Reach Svay Rieng
Fri, Jan 15 2021
Credit: Michael P Ryan (ETPhotos)
Former Dundalk and Waterford defender Paddy Barrett has made the move to join Cambodian outfit Preah Khan Reach Svay Rieng after a recent stint in the United States.

The 27-year-old Waterford native was most recently with USL side Cincinnati FC after departing Dundalk in 2017 at the end of his contract at Oriel Park.

During his final campaign with the Lilywhites, Barrett joined his hometown club Waterford on loan where he helped them clinch the 2017 First Division title.

The former Dundee United academy star has also played for Galway United in the League of Ireland.

He now joins Cambodian side Preah Khan Reach Svay Rieng, a side who are coached by Limerick native Conor Nestor.

Nestor has been in the role of Head Coach of the Cambodian side since January 2018 and is in his job three years to date.

“There’s a lot of changes for me to adapt so I think I’ll give it a little bit more time and hopefully I can settle in a bit better, but so far so good,” Barrett told Waterford News and Star after joining his new club.

“The heat here is a very big factor. It’s very hot here and I wouldn’t be used to it so it’s a big change. Over time though hopefully I’ll be able to settle down.”

He added: “It’s crazy how I ended up here in Cambodia. Conor (Nestor) reached out to a friend of mine in Ireland, Paddy Carey, who is a top coach.

“I was in America and I started talking to Conor. I knew that he was interested, and he brought me out here...
https://www.extratime.com/articles/2649 ... vay-rieng/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Irish Footballer, Paddy Barrett, Joins Cambodian Team in Svay Rieng

Cambodia hasn't worked out for footballer Paddy Barrett, who returns to Ireland after 2 months.

Paddy Barrett swaps Cambodia for Inchicore after joining St Pat's
Barrett, 27, joined Preah Khan Svay Rieng before Christmas but failed to settle and has returned home.
ByPaul O'Hehir
15:24, 23 FEB 2021
Paddy Barrett is back in the League of Ireland after calling time on his brief stint in Cambodia.

The centre-back has today signed for St Patrick’s Athletic who have also swooped for West Ham prospect Alfie Lewis.

Barrett, 27, joined Preah Khan Svay Rieng before Christmas but failed to settle and has returned home.

“The move to Cambodia didn’t work out the way I wanted it to for numerous reasons and I said to myself that I wanted to come back home to play in Ireland.
https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer ... e-23551542

Barret's experience in Cambodian quarantine particularly marked him, and after living in the US for some years, he clearly didn't have much idea what a move to Cambodia would entail : https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer ... t-23340053
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Captioned "Paddy Barrett pictured at a Cambodian temple" - it's actually a monument to Samdech Chuon Nath. Usually you would show reverence by facing towards the monument rather than out into the traffic circle.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Irish coach says he's staying on until 2023.

Limerick soccer coach commits to top Cambodian side until 2023
Colm Kinsella
24 Feb 2021
LIMERICK man Conor Nestor is extending his time as head coach's job with Cambodian Premier Division soccer side Preah Khan Reach Svay Rieng.

Foynes native Nestor has signed a deal with the Cambodian club which will see him remain at the helm of the South East Asian side until 2023.

The West Limerick man led Preah Khan Reach Svay Rieng FC to the Cambodian League title in 2019.

Speaking about his decision to extend his time in Cambodia, Conor Nestor said: "I feel honoured to have the trust of the owners and my bosses to continue our work, my work and the staff's work, with the first team players.
https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/spor ... -2023.html

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

He might have figured out that Inchicore is a fucking dump.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

'I enjoyed Cambodia, but didn't love it' - Paddy Barrett on moving back to Ireland
The new St Pat's signing is raring to go ahead of Friday's clash with champions Shamrock Rovers
ByPaul O'Hehir
06:00, 16 MAR 2021
Paddy Barrett's stay in Cambodia didn’t work out - but the new St Pat’s recruit has no regrets.

The centre-back moved from American side Indy Eleven to Preah Khan Reach Svay Rieng - managed by Irishman Conor Nestor - over Christmas.

But speaking to Mirror Sport in January, he lifted the lid on his quarantine struggles and how it was hard adjusting to life in Cambodia.

Ex-Dundalk star Barrett pulled the plug and is now gearing up for the season with St Pat’s.

“Cambodia was something I really enjoyed, but I didn't love,” he said. “Numerous things over there weren't for me.

“It was tough on the eye to see so much poverty. It's very sad to see three and four-year-old kids walking around with no clothes, no shoes.

“You see it on TV but when you see it in person, it goes deep in. On the football side, it was difficult with the language barrier.
https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer ... e-23729495

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

NEST EGG Limerick native Conor Nestor on football fever in Cambodia and avoiding another final day heartbreak
Owen Cowzer
Published: 10:58, 3 Dec 2022Updated: 11:37, 3 Dec 2022
THE YANKEE CLIPPER in Foynes will be like so many pubs on a Saturday with the big screen showing a must-win game.
But it is not the World Cup in Qatar that will have patrons getting in early.
Instead, it is to see if local boy Conor Nestor can win the Cambodian league.

Today, his team Preah Khan Reach Svay Rieng will face Visakha looking for a victory that, combined with a defeat for Phnom Penh Crown, will see boss Nestor win his second title in four years.

He told SunSport: “I didn’t envisage when I started out that there would be a big screen in my local showing Cambodian football!”

But the Limerick man admitted that plenty about the past six years, since he first departed these shores, has taken him on an adventure he never expected.

For starters, as he first explained to SunSport in 2019, Cambodia was never his intended destination — he was only in south-east Asia as he waited on his Australian work visa.

But then there was the offer to become head coach of Svay Reing and the decision to stay put to fulfil the ambition that led him to emigrate in the first place.

“Cambodia was a stopgap while I waited on the visa for Australia, but when I was offered a full-time role at a full-time club . . . timing is important in life and obviously it was important to be in the right place at the right time.

"I sometimes get annoyed if people say I’ve been lucky — I’ve been unlucky on the field in some seasons. But through a wider lens, I’ve been extremely lucky.”

That extends to his personal life. He recently got engaged to Pich, who will visit Ireland for the first time with him this Christmas to meet his family, and the Yankee Clipper patrons.

Nestor said: “We met just before Covid in 2020. So Covid was bad for a lot of people but it helped me as she couldn’t get away! I haven’t been home since before Covid so we’re going to get over before Christmas, and she can meet my family for the first time.
https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/98 ... -limerick/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic