Sell or rent out house in UK ? Should I go or RLF ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Sell or rent out house in UK ? Should I go or RLF ?

Post by nerdlinger »

sobajoe wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:50 pm Hi all ,
I'd like to ask you all if you have/had property back in own country which you rented out or have sold in order to stay in the kingdom, and if so how did it go/ has it gone ?

My situation , I am in a bungalow in the UK , value estimated to be 130,000 gbp, which I inherited from good, old Dad.

I returned to the UK from PP last March, just as the world was closing down , and may even have been on the last flight out, via Dubai with UAE. In the prior few years, I ad been spending around 6 months between UK and PP/Kampot/Siem Reap/Shitville over the UK winter. I left early this time because as the covid kicked off, my fathers heart failure turned acute and due to lack of oxygen his mind was going. When he told me on the phone his deceased mother was living with him it coincided with Britain entering lock-down, he always did have a sense of humor; I thought he was winding me up !

Anyhow , long story short ... I bolted back to the UK , and looked after him until he passed away in July last year. So here I am , waiting for some kind of normal to return to all of our lives.

While lying on the couch, stoned , I am pondering the future. Britain has turned into something I neither recognize, understand , or even want to deal with. I have known and seen coming for many years the need to be somewhere else for my later years and I will be 49 in sept.

One important decision is the Bungalow. Rent it out, but possibly have to return to UK if any issues arose , although it would be through an agency. Sell it and have a chunky lump sum which would then need its own careful management.

There was a small chunk of change to add to my own nest egg in the bank equating to around 50-60 ,000 gbp and so this will be used for income in addition to the house.

I have a degree, and a teaching qualification that I did last year but never used during my last stay.
My pension age is 67 as things stand in the UK , and that is some way off , so who even knows if I would make it that far.

After Dads passing , I went to work for a couple of months in a factory and hated every second until I went on 3 day holiday and decided I was finished working in the UK.

So while I smoke on the couch , my expensive weed and rolling tobacco is helping to make a UK winter and a shit past year seem part of the price for the escape I will be making.

Hopefully , it will be better times for us all soon. Just got to hang in a little longer guys ! In the mean time - any suggestions , knowledge , experience from which I may benefit would be very much appreciated and greatly received. ( no thread Jackers, please. Insults will be returned with volley fire )
Wha... are you me?
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

Dont sell, Dont rent. The other alternative is to find a flatmate or 2 to share the house. This gives you the advantage of coming and going whenever you want to. Also finding the right type of persons [ s ] who are clean, reliable and have a good job to in paying their share of the costs.
Dont sign any agreements with them on this as if you do it means there is no trust between the parties involved. It also gives you the right to ask them to leave if certain standards and conditions are not met. Remember with inflation of property in the next 10 - 20 years it could be worth millions of $$$$$$ and you may look back and regret selling it so cheap.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

You can sell it once. You can rent it out forever. I wouldn't sell it.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Big Daikon wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:38 am You can sell it once. You can rent it out forever. I wouldn't sell it.
Can have a forever headache !
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

sobajoe wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:50 pm My situation , I am in a bungalow in the UK , value estimated to be 130,000 gbp, which I inherited from good, old Dad.
sobajoe wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:50 pm I will be 49 in sept.
sobajoe wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:50 pm My pension age is 67 as things stand in the UK , and that is some way off , so who even knows if I would make it that far.
sobajoe wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:50 pm There was a small chunk of change to add to my own nest egg in the bank equating to around 50-60 ,000 gbp and so this will be used for income in addition to the house.

If you were fifteen years older I'd say go for it, but at the age of 48....
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

You don't mention your own nest egg, but it doesn't sound to me like you have enough savings to make the sale or rental of it worthwhile. Keep it and save more.

I'd say you're too young to bum it in Cambodia unless you have significantly more in your own bank account to supplement it. Keep the house for now, it cna always be sold later on.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

pissontheroof wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:56 am
Big Daikon wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:38 am You can sell it once. You can rent it out forever. I wouldn't sell it.
Can have a forever headache !
Headaches asides, renting it out generates revenue for a long time. My personal take.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic